PWG's long term future?

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

PWG's long term future?

Postby SlayJ » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:30 pm

Not gonna lie...it's been a one helluva shitty Friday night. And yes, I am somewhat influenced by the evil alcohol (which should hopefully make all my spelling errors obsolete). Maybe the negative after effects of a bad evening are weaving their dark magic. Or maybe I'm just sick of this message board collecting dust and I want to stir up conversation. But to be real, this has been on my mind somewhat frequently lately. The scope and the passion behind PWG seems to be slowly diminishing. I hate to make that assumption. Maybe I'm off my rocker completely (QUITE possible actually). I mean, YES...PWG has put on some incredible cards in the past year. But despite some amazing shows, it kinda feels like PWG is reluctant to move forward towards bigger and better things.

Ever since "Seven" and the retirement of Scott Lost, something has been missing. The tournaments have gotten smaller...the shows less frequent...several indie promotions (some of whom can't hold PWG's jock) have tested the IPPV waters, but PWG hasn't...and on and on. I dunno, something doesn't feel right. And even though I don't pretend to know the inner workings behind Pro Wrestling Guerrilla, it seems that there should be opportunities to make money and increase exposure that aren't being capitalized on. Is the "Less Is More" philosophy really a good battle plan? Or is it just that the diminishing powers that be behind the Guerrilla are pursuing the convenient route at this point and letting the chips fall where they may?

I love PWG! My friends and I gladly make the trek up to Reseda from San Diego religiously to catch every live show. It's just a bit of a warning sign when any company begins to scale back or downsize their operation. Again, I'm not in any way knocking the quality of the live shows. They are almost always tremendous! And maybe I am totally overreacting on this point. I'm just somewhat worried about the overall long term game plan. Opinions?
SlayJ

Re: PWG's long term future?

Postby Garden State Saint » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:03 am

As a long time East coast fan of PWG I firmly believe that they have to take a shot on iPPV as we're pretty spoiled out here with live shows and sometimes I feel all the good things PWG does or has done gets lost in the sauce. iPPVs would definetly change that.
Garden State Saint

Postby eldink » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:37 pm

be careful what you wish for
eldink

Postby So Cal Punk » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:16 pm

doesn't seem like PWG is interested in being the top company. all they care about is putting on a good show once in awile
So Cal Punk

Postby So Cal Punk » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:17 pm

So Cal Punk wrote:doesn't seem like PWG is interested in being the top company. all they care about is putting on a good show once in awile

which is possibly whay makes the shows so great
So Cal Punk

Postby Garden State Saint » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:51 am

It's a pipe dream but it would be awesome if PWG could do an east coast swing.
Garden State Saint

Postby So Cal Punk » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:32 am

Garden State Saint wrote:It's a pipe dream but it would be awesome if PWG could do an east coast swing.

they did europe, i don't see why they couldn't do the east coast
So Cal Punk

Postby SlayJ » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:22 am

So Cal Punk wrote:
So Cal Punk wrote:doesn't seem like PWG is interested in being the top company. all they care about is putting on a good show once in awile

which is possibly whay makes the shows so great

As long as PWG remains at the level it's at now, I'm a happy camper. If they choose to run only 9 or 10 shows a year and stack the cards, that's fine. I'm just concerned about the fact that the founding members have slowly trickled away over the past few years, leaving just Joey, Excalibur and Super Dragon at the helm (as far as I know). Hopefully they're dedicated to PWG continuing to thrive for a long time to come. It just seems that there's not a lot of interest in utilizing certain avenues to try and recruit new fans and raise the company's profile. And that somewhat concerns me. Then again, maybe it's all for the best that they stick with the formula that's got them to this point. Time will tell I suppose.
SlayJ

Postby Garden State Saint » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:19 am

So Cal Punk wrote:
Garden State Saint wrote:It's a pipe dream but it would be awesome if PWG could do an east coast swing.

they did europe, i don't see why they couldn't do the east coast

Right you are. Maybe a trip of NY, NJ or PA might re-energize interest. Or maybe PWG has enough interest and this board shouldn't be used as a measuing stick. :lol:
Garden State Saint

Postby El Asian » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:26 am

right now, the entire iPPV is way too risky for PWG at this point it seems due to the fact ROH restricts their talent from working iPPV for other companies apparently plus I honestly don't think the Reseda building is able to handle holding a live PPV anyways and also, I feel there are many other things PWG needs to do before ever running an iPPV at this point
El Asian

Postby krayzie Bone » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:41 pm

PWG did try to recruit new fans, its called wrestle reunion at the Hilton. After the legend's battle royal half of the fans left. Which brings me to my point; most fans in America don't want to see great wrestling, they want sports entertainment. This is not Japan, people still want to see Rock N Roll Express over Rockness Monsters. Sad but true.
krayzie Bone

Postby Garden State Saint » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:02 pm

I'll never understand that. If you paid for a ticket to see a show you might as well stay for the whole thing as you might finding something surprising you may not have expected. But thats just me.
Garden State Saint

Postby Lord Akiyama » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:29 pm

Actually, I'd say about a quarter of the fans left, not half. You have to remember a couple things:

1. By the time the battle royal was over, it was midnight and I'm sure families who brought their kids wanted to leave as soon as possible to put them to bed.

2. It was friggin' packed to begin with. So packed, there weren't enough seats and people literally had to stand in the aisles. Even after some folks left after the battle royal, there were still people standing who could find empty seats.
Lord Akiyama

Postby Endurance » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:23 pm

At wrestle reunion, there was a "special" guy sitting next to me (and I don't mean that as an insult in any way), and I overheard him talking to himself, saying he had to leave after the battle royal so he could catch his flight back home. Perhaps had they not started the show 55 minutes late, more people could have stayed for the whole show, and not have to leave early to catch flights. Also, Juggalos may have been an influencing factor in the number of people who decided to leave.

As for PWG's long term future, Excalibur said on the AOW podcast that he thinks PWG has found their niche, and to get to the next level would require tremendous investments of time and money, which nobody can afford to do right now because they all have day jobs, save for Joey Ryan. I think their long term future is fine. What they're doing right now is working, and Exalibur said that he plans to keep doing what they're doing right now.
Endurance

Postby krayzie Bone » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:52 pm

Don't get me wrong I love Wrestle Reunion and the fact that its at the Hilton. Nothing better then seeing bunch of Hilton regular snobby guests staring in awe at Juggalos. lol
krayzie Bone

Postby Gianto_Talbot » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:54 am

I'm a strong believer that if you're going to do something do it right. When promotion tries for mainstream success it usually involve WWF/WCW washouts and rejects just for name value. That's usually what companies get the most out of for some reason. I think PWG is sticking with quality and God Bless them for doing so. ROH was on national tv for a while but never really took off aswell as it deserved and or people would have wanted it too. But if hulk hogan, Kevin Nash, and Virgil were involved it might have been more successful business and ratings wise. But hey what do I know? I would actually prefer to see the Rock N Roll Express over the Rock NES Monsters myself. Put then in the ring with Bobby Fulton and Tommy Rogers and you got yourself gold people. Anyone know who they are off the top of their head I'll but you a coke.
Gianto_Talbot

Postby Garden State Saint » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:31 am

Willie Mack vs. Hogan would be awesome.
Garden State Saint

Postby El Asian » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:56 am

Gianto_Talbot wrote:I'm a strong believer that if you're going to do something do it right. When promotion tries for mainstream success it usually involve WWF/WCW washouts and rejects just for name value. That's usually what companies get the most out of for some reason. I think PWG is sticking with quality and God Bless them for doing so. ROH was on national tv for a while but never really took off aswell as it deserved and or people would have wanted it too. But if hulk hogan, Kevin Nash, and Virgil were involved it might have been more successful business and ratings wise. But hey what do I know? I would actually prefer to see the Rock N Roll Express over the Rock NES Monsters myself. Put then in the ring with Bobby Fulton and Tommy Rogers and you got yourself gold people. Anyone know who they are off the top of their head I'll but you a coke.

with exception of Vergil, TNA has brought in guys like Hogan and Nash and the ratings couldn't draw shit for them, even NXT when that was on TV drew better ratings than TNA even though NXT was about the rookies coming from FCW

and guys like Fulton and Rogers aren't exactly the type of guys PWG can bring in unless for some special occasion like a Legends Battle Royal or something, the fact PWG is not about bringing some old guys over a younger talent who are hungry to get more notice and will do their best to impress the crowd than old guys who will only appeal to old school fans than PWG fans and before you mention someone like Finlay, the thing with someone like Finlay is that he is the type of guy who has experience but has willing to help put younger guys over, similar to guys like 123 Kid or 2 Cold Scorpio, all older guys but still manages to put a solid performance for the type of audience PWG has always aimed for in other feds, just the same if a major name from Mexico and Japan comes over, it appeals to the type of audience PWG aims for
El Asian

Postby Gianto_Talbot » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:49 pm

I completely agree with you el Asian. I wasn't serious about the fantastics lol. That was more of an elaboration on the comment of preferring to see the rock n roll express over rock NES. I'm just not to big on those guys in comparison to others on the PWG roster. And while hogan and Nash arent drawing shit, it's those kinds of names that has kept TNA on tv. Unfortunate but true. Thats partbif the reason why TNA is still on tv and Roh isnt. Apaet from all the corporate bs. While I rather see the lo ki vs Chris Daniels main events from TNA's infancy, the world rather see "established stars" But that's just how things appear to me. I couldnt honestly tell you I understand wrestling or wrestling fans. I don't understand how people who seen Davey Richards vs Chris Hero or Low Ki vs American Dragon could think that HHH and The Undertaker are good workers. Or how anyone who has paid $25 for excellent seats at a PWG show would pay more the double for shitty seats at an even shittier WWE show. This is pretty much what I said about ECW about 15 years ago. Man I went on a bit of a tyraid here. Sorry everybody.
Gianto_Talbot

Postby Zaiger » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:06 am

I think long term PWG will do great if it stays the way it is. But i have some predictions
1. Joey Ryan will call himself the technical wizzard
2. The young bucks will come out of the closet
Zaiger

Next

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum