2011 Battle of Los Angeles on August 20, 2011!

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Re: 2011 Battle of Los Angeles on August 20, 2011!

Postby El Asian » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:00 am

b2u wrote:I think the last show of the year should be called "Battle of Reseda 2011" and have an 8 man tournament featuring all young, local talent ready to breakout like Willie Mack did. The two non-tourny matches can feature fly'in's. But imagine a one night, eight man tournament where the winner gets a spot in the 2012 BOLA and a title shot of their choosing. This would be a true test for the local talent to carry most of a card, which I think they can do as long us they get a lot of buzz from the reports, it could still sell well. Plus the two non-tourney matches can be like Steen vs. Generico vs. Ricochet and American Wolves vs. Shelley and Strong or something like that. My personal eight would be:

Brandon Gatson
Peter Avalon
Ryan Taylor
Brian-Cage Taylor
Johnny Goodtime
Johnny Yuma
Debut of Socal Crazy
Debut of Ray Rosas

I would have interesting story lines as well. For instance, I would have blind brackets and only advertise the two non-tourny matches, which of course would be the main event draw. I would have Steen vs. Generico vs. Ricochet for the PWG World Title as the main event draw. As how to book the tournament, I would have both the RockNES Monsters advancing and facing each other and tear the house down, with Goodtime going to the finals against Brandon Gatson. Gatson would win of course and finally breakout. I think the brackets would look like this:

Bracket A
Goodtime/Socal Crazy
Yuma/Brian-Cage Taylor (Rematch from Yuma's Debut)

Bracket B
Gatson/Avalon
Taylor/Rosas

Goodtime/Yuma, Gatson/Rosas semi final, with a Gatson/Goodtime final. Anyway, just my thoughts.

actually, I don't think there's a point for PWG to book a tournament with just local guys as there's tons of local feds that can do the same plus its probably better for PWG to book local guys on their condition works better anyways
El Asian

Postby fatallylost » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:57 am

I kinda have to agree with El Asian. While it's not a horrible idea, it wouldn't make a ton of sense. People love PWG cause you get to see matches like, Edwards vs Gatson, Hero vs Mack. While they could happen elsewhere, you're almost guaranteed it will at some point soon in PWG.
fatallylost

Postby luca brasi » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:50 pm

Plus doesn't it kind of give the impression that PWG management feels the local boys are of a lesser talent level than the fly-ins? LIke, since it's obvious theuy'll never win BOLA, let's throw them a consolation prize.
luca brasi

Postby So Cal Punk » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:54 pm

eastbay510 wrote:
Lord Akiyama wrote:
eastbay510 wrote:08 and 09 were friday and saturday

08 was Saturday and Sunday. I remember because we were all wondering if Nick Jackson was going to make it in time since Matt's wedding was on the same day.

Oops I meant 09 and 10

i think 10 was saturday & sunday
So Cal Punk

Postby So Cal Punk » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:40 pm

love the different style of commercial
So Cal Punk

Postby arizero » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:06 pm

Okay, I know some people hate this, but I like seeing these for the sake of comparison so I will ask: Can anyone who went to the show put up some star ratings for these matches?

Also, how would you compare a show like this one, in terms of quality, to a show like All Star Weekend 8: Night Two? That show is my favorite PWG show ever; I'm just curious to see if this one will have a chance at beating it out. Thanks guys!
arizero

Postby So Cal Punk » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:42 pm

arizero wrote:Okay, I know some people hate this, but I like seeing these for the sake of comparison so I will ask: Can anyone who went to the show put up some star ratings for these matches?

Also, how would you compare a show like this one, in terms of quality, to a show like All Star Weekend 8: Night Two? That show is my favorite PWG show ever; I'm just curious to see if this one will have a chance at beating it out. Thanks guys!

in my opinion this the best PWG show so far this year
So Cal Punk

Postby jboyaquar » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:00 am

Although none of the matches were over four stars or match of the year candidates, the booking was exemplary - every match was in its rightful place and the evening built to what most expected and wanted - Steen vs. Generico in the finals. I'm not sure if it will translate as well to DVD like DDT '11, but the crowd maintained a consistent energy that burst in the finals. I was also a big fan of the first half of the Bucks match with the Kings, Claudio and Generico's reversals in the last five minutes of their match, the early toughman test-out period between Finlay and Steen, and the effort put out by all the boys.

ASW Night 2 had the most intense outpouring of affection and almost spiritual communion - The fans & Tozawa - but overall 2011 show, BOLA was top with DDT coming in second with the ASW Night One tag between Nightmare Violence vs. Generico/Richochet as the most exciting, spotfest of the year.

To finish an earlier thought - would someone please tell Generico that even for revenge, faces don't spit at their opponents!
jboyaquar

Postby jboyaquar » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:03 am

Sorry, I get paid to edit .... Please place the word 'frenetic' after the comma that follows "exciting..."
jboyaquar

Postby arizero » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:29 am

Wow.....okay, top show of the year. I'm pretty hyped about BOLA 2011 now; just put through my preorder now.

One more question: the hype video didn't cover the two tag matches. How'd they turn out? All I've heard was that Kings/Bucks had great comedy in their match (which is awesome, but quite frankly, unexpected).

Thanks again everyone for your opinions!
arizero

Postby SlayJ » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:58 am

I would have to agree that BOLA is the top overall show of the year so far with DDT a close second. And from my hazy thoughts from being there live, I do think both Generico/Castagnoli and Generico/Steen topped 4 Stars. And NOTHING was close to bad
SlayJ

Postby jboyaquar » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:46 pm

Of the two tags the more memorable was the Kings humiliating the Bucks via a variety of holds/mocking gestures that made the brothers come off as incestual clowns. It was highly entertaining, and a twist to the (dry exhibition) technical excellence the individuals within the Kings are renowned for. My memory is hazy as well but I remember Rockness/Dynasty being a typical So Cal well-executed tag match but without the heat/anticipation that came with the tournament.

In terms of the unofficial/official 'star ratings...' There were a few gaffes and a directionless patch in the Claudio/Generico contest that prevented me from thinking the entire contest deserves more than 4 stars - but the highlights in the second half make it a must see. Traditionally a match should be longer than sixteen-eighteen minutes to qualify for 4 stars and above, and I'm not sure if Steen/Generico or any of the tourney matches went that long?! However, the story was well told and the kid was a successful prop for Steen to work against.

I agree with Slay J in that none of the matches were bad, felt superfluous, or overlong like many of the Gatson/Ryan Taylor/Brian Cage-Taylor matches do.
jboyaquar

Postby arizero » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:56 pm

So sad to say, but what attracted me to this show was the absence of the Taylor Boys, the Cutler Brothers (who I know have retired) and the fact that Joey Ryan was wrestling in a tag match instead of a singles encounter. There was nobody wrestling on this show that I didn't like (And if they were, they were in a combo that I could stand). Thanks again for the opinions everyone!!
arizero

Postby Gianto_Talbot » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:09 pm

I don't think any of the matches were above 3 stars. Claudio/Generico was probably my overall favorite from a technical stand point, Edward & Strong also. I had really high expectations for the Edwards vs Steen match but I was Pretty let down. Maybe I shouldn't have had such high expectations for tourney matches but I really have pretty high opinions as tO all of the participants abilities. As I said in another topic it really didn't seem like everyone was trying to put on 5 star matches. If Steen and Generico really wanted to they could have had their 2nd and 3rd round matches with 5 star ratings. I'm not the wrestling fan I use to be so what do I know. I also don't see the appeal of guys like the Taylor boys either. But once again maybe I'm just out of the loop of what's hot
Gianto_Talbot

Postby So Cal Punk » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:29 am

individual matches alone were not great, but the show as a whole is fucking awesome & i really do think it's the best of the year so far (that make any sense?)
So Cal Punk

Postby Garden State Saint » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:47 am

So Cal Punk wrote:individual matches alone were not great, but the show as a whole is fucking awesome & i really do think it's the best of the year so far (that make any sense?)

So everything more or less complimented the next thing?
Garden State Saint

Postby SlayJ » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:39 am

Garden State Saint wrote:
So Cal Punk wrote:individual matches alone were not great, but the show as a whole is fucking awesome & i really do think it's the best of the year so far (that make any sense?)

So everything more or less complimented the next thing?

I would tend to agree with that, although I did find some of the individual matches to be pretty great as well. I guess you could say that nothing felt like overkill on the show. The balance of everything that makes PWG so awesome (wrestling, brawling, storylines, comedy, high flying, fan participation, etc.) was right on the mark. And the crowd energy remained constant throughout the whole show. One of the reasons I put this show above most of the other recent cards is the fact that the whole night built up to the main event perfectly. No offense to Claudio, but several of his recent title matches (vs Low Ki and Hero twice) didn't seem to sustain the kind of heat you'd like for a main event, ending a few shows rather flatly (with the exception of Steen's impromptu belt snag). But the fans were pumped for Generico vs Steen here. And they tore up the building SMARTLY, meaning they gave the fans a great hard-hitting match but held enough back to build up the scenerio for a rematch with the title on the line. Whether or not BOLA translates as well to DVD remains to be seen, but being there live was the most fun I've had at a show this year.
SlayJ

Postby camstun187 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:16 pm

Man, some people here sound spoiled.
camstun187

Postby So Cal Punk » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:41 pm

camstun187 wrote:Man, some people here sound spoiled.

agreed
So Cal Punk

Postby El Asian » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:24 pm

from PWG's twitter concerning this matter

Jaded, spoiled, burnt-out fans should stop posting their thoughts on wrestling.

they are right as well
El Asian

PreviousNext

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum