Congrats to Jimmy Yang

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Congrats to Jimmy Yang

Postby JayJay » Sun May 07, 2006 10:11 am

PWG regular Jimmy Yang has signed a contract with the WWE. He re-debuted on Velocity working against Charlie Haas, and could possibly end up with the returning ECW brand.

[i]It has been confirmed that Jimmy "Akio" Yang has signed a new contract with WWE. Akio wrestled Charlie Haas on HEAT prior to last week's Raw tapings in Columbus, Ohio. His old Titantron video and theme music played when he made his entrance. Haas picked up the win over Akio. He is living in the Columbus, Ohio area, which is why he was there in the first place, and he was hoping to rejoin WWE.

Akio's work has always been praised - even Vince McMahon personally praised him during a meeting once - however, he was originally fired last July because the WWE creative team never had any ideas for him. Akio is probably best known for being Tajiri's bodyguard - along with Ryan Sakoda - and for his series of incredible matches with Paul London on Velocity in 2004 and 2005.

Akio will finish out his remaining independent dates before he makes his return to WWE. He may be a part of the relaunching ECW brand this time around.[/i]

credit - PWInsider
JayJay

Postby ghettostompmike » Sun May 07, 2006 11:04 am

good luck in WWE Jimmy
ghettostompmike

Postby astro_zombie » Sun May 07, 2006 2:52 pm

right on fer jimmy.
astro_zombie

Postby WannaB » Sun May 07, 2006 3:44 pm

I just hope that...

a.) They don't shitcan him again.

I'm tired of these bullshit excuses the WWE gives to their workers like "we don't have any creative ideas for you at the moment." You don't always have to have a storyline (even though it does help); just book him in a televised match so people will start to gain interest in him.

b.) They let him keep the Jimmy Yang name this time.

However if they did, he might lose the rights to it knowing the type of liscensing agreements the WWE usually makes with their wrestlers.

c.) He actually says more than one word this time. Or was it two words?

Just one backstage promo. That's all I'm asking for.

d.) They consider going back to the scrapped idea of him being "Little Dragon" all grown up.

That would have been thoroughly entertaining if they had gone through with that Steamboat angle with Jimmy. It would've drawn a lot of attention to him as well.
WannaB

Postby TigerDriver98 » Sun May 07, 2006 3:56 pm

WannaB wrote:b.) They let him keep the Jimmy Yang name this time.

This doesn't look like it'll happen. As he's on HEAT this week as Akio...

Anyway, I'm glad to hear this. Though I liked his stuff in PWG (especially the Scott Lost match), I feel he's better suited for the WWE. I think he is the reverse of a lot of wrestlers in that he's a good Indy worker... but a great WWE worker. If that makes any sense...
TigerDriver98

Postby SoCalAndy » Sun May 07, 2006 3:57 pm

How did they shitcan him? Jimmy Yang in ROH and PWG was almost the same Yang that you saw in WWE, and he has horrible mix skills. What else are they going to do with him? He didn't get shitcanned, he just didn't have anything to bring to the table. Don't try and use the term "shitcan" since it's not the case and it's a retarded statement to make.
SoCalAndy

Postby WannaB » Sun May 07, 2006 7:51 pm

SoCalAndy wrote:

How did they shitcan him? Jimmy Yang in ROH and PWG was almost the same Yang that you saw in WWE, and he has horrible mix skills. What else are they going to do with him? He didn't get shitcanned, he just didn't have anything to bring to the table. Don't try and use the term "shitcan" since it's not the case and it's a retarded statement to make.

I didn't say anything about Jimmy being different in the WWE as opposed to the indies. I'm unsure if you think I'm referring to the WWE making people wrestle "their" style, or if you're saying that Jimmy had the axe coming because he was subpar.

If the latter of the two then it's still fair to say that he got shitcanned as the WWE is filled with a number of subpar athletes who are pushed to the moon for whatever deluded reasons the creative team has.

And yes, he was shitcanned. The WWE hired him, and they didn't give him any mic time or good bookings. All he got were scraps on Velocity, and the occassional chance to work a 3 minute squash match on SmackDown against Heidenreich. They hired him, didn't use him, and subsequently fired him. I'd defenitely say that the WWE treated his run with the company unfairly.

And don't suggest that there is a proper time to use the word "shitcan," but then say that it's retarded to begin with. Thats pretty hypocritical.
WannaB

Postby SoCalAndy » Sun May 07, 2006 10:53 pm

I'm unsure if you think I'm referring to the WWE making people wrestle "their" style, or if you're saying that Jimmy had the axe coming because he was subpar.

While this wont have anything to do with my main points, I feel that Jimmy works a WWE Cruiser Style and has been doing so lately. I didn't say you were reffering him to that though.

If the latter of the two then it's still fair to say that he got shitcanned as the WWE is filled with a number of subpar athletes who are pushed to the moon for whatever deluded reasons the creative team has.

I was reffering to the latter. He didn't have it. And clown the WWE creative team all you want, but lately they've done a great job pushing people like Fit Finlay, Chris Benoit, JBL, and have been able to make lesser talent like Lashley look decent.

They hired him, didn't use him, and subsequently fired him. I'd defenitely say that the WWE treated his run with the company unfairly.

They used him in a role that would be good for him. His mic skills aren't great(there's even a video of him trying to cut one on youtube and screwing up several times) and has limited skills. His body guard roll with Tajiri was a great idea, but with Sakoda being released there wasn't any use for him. If they used him in a roll like that again, he might work out.

And don't suggest that there is a proper time to use the word "shitcan," but then say that it's retarded to begin with. Thats pretty hypocritical.

I was going by how you felt about it. You tried to make the point of the WWE not trying to get him to work out or gain interest, but he just didn't work out. The WWE didn't "shitcan" him, and it's a retarded term because it makes the worker who was "shitcanned" look like shit.
SoCalAndy

Postby onlxn » Sun May 07, 2006 11:21 pm

Congrats to Yang, if that's what floats his boat. Selfishly, I don't think PWG will miss him much, as the initial heat from his ex-WWE status has worn off and I've never seen him give a great PWG performance. I agree with TD98 that he's better suited to Velocity than to the workrate indies -- he just doesn't have the offensive repertoire to fill a 15-20 minute match.

And I really, really, REALLY hope they give his "occasional fly-in" spot to Jimmy Rave.
onlxn

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum