I've got a bit of a problem

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

I've got a bit of a problem

Postby Suicidal Youth » Mon May 08, 2006 4:14 pm

Well, I'm behind on PWG by about a year(most recent show I've got is Jason Takes PWG). Now, I'm ready to catch up. One problem. Even with the Buy Ten get two Free deal, I don't think I'll have enough money(200 dollars is the absolute maximum, and that includes shipping). Basically, I'm looking to pick up every available show from Guitarmageddon on. Is there anything at this point I should drop from the list?
Suicidal Youth

Re: I've got a bit of a problem

Postby onlxn » Mon May 08, 2006 5:04 pm

A tough question, as PWG's been very consistent lately. But if forced to pick, I'd say "All-Star Weekend 2, Night 2" is more skippable than other recent shows. It has a good quick match between Scott and Scorpio and a fun Steen/Bosh main event, but in general nothing was all that incredible or memorable...
onlxn

Postby TigerDriver98 » Mon May 08, 2006 5:07 pm

Tough question, it really depends. But I suppose "Straight To DVD" and "Smells Like Steen Spirit" could be skipped, and you wouldn't miss anything of major consequence, storyline wise (if you really want to see SD-Joe 3 however, do pick up "Smells Like")

Just to clarify for anyone thinking "Those shows were awesome! WTF are you talking about?" it's not that those weren't good shows, because they were. Just if I had to suggest shows from that time period to skip, those would be them.
TigerDriver98

Postby Suicidal Youth » Mon May 08, 2006 5:09 pm

Yeah, I've been itching to see SD/Joe 3 for a long time. I'll add STDVD to the skip list, though.
Suicidal Youth

Postby Matt Flash » Mon May 08, 2006 9:15 pm

I'd say Straight to DVD but it's near and dear to my heart as the first PWG show I went to. Maybe I'll catch flack for this but Cruisin' For a Bruisin' was way below the standards I thought it would and could be. I had to miss this one live, and was dying to finally watch on DVD and I was just... really underwhelmed. Bosh/Lost, my most anticipated match, was seemginly nothing but moves onto the knee. Claudio/Hero is as much fun as you'd expect from a match of theirs and The tag title main event was quite good.

And I gotta advise against getting Card Subject to Change 2. Probably their worst show since I have been going live but it's semi forgiven due to all the cancellations and no shows.
Matt Flash

Postby onlxn » Mon May 08, 2006 9:58 pm

Matt Flash wrote:And I gotta advise against getting Card Subject to Change 2. Probably their worst show since I have been going live but it's semi forgiven due to all the cancellations and no shows.

I think Joe was the only no-show... but yeah, I almost included that one in my first post. Looking over it again, there were definitely parts I enjoyed -- the opener, Cabana/Koslov and the four-way title match all worked pretty well, and the main event tag certainly had its moments. I didn't mention it because I think there's a good chance that it'll click much better on DVD; that crowd was even more burned out than usual, and the main was the kind of match that can really work on TV after not totally firing live.

Solid show, and really impressively handled by both the bookers and workers, considering how last-minute everything had to be. But compared to other recent stuff, it's definitely not a must-see show.
onlxn

Postby Suicidal Youth » Tue May 09, 2006 6:38 am

Okay, so I've officially cut STDVD and CSTC 2. I'm almost where I'd like to be.
Suicidal Youth

Postby Mike Arsenal » Tue May 09, 2006 7:23 am

Joe no showing wasn't the only problem. Chris Sabin was injured and so was Christopher Daniels. I remember it was the second time they were trying to do Daniels/Styles vs. Dragon/Richards.
Mike Arsenal

Postby shyboy13 » Tue May 09, 2006 8:42 am

My vote would go with Cruisin for a Bruisin. I think that show is the most skipable.
shyboy13

Postby onlxn » Tue May 09, 2006 9:05 am

Mike Arsenal wrote:Joe no showing wasn't the only problem. Chris Sabin was injured and so was Christopher Daniels. I remember it was the second time they were trying to do Daniels/Styles vs. Dragon/Richards.

Right, but they knew about those cancellations going in and had already announced a revised card. Joe not showing up was the only curveball they had to deal with that day.
onlxn

Postby SoCalAndy » Tue May 09, 2006 10:23 am

And I gotta advise against getting Card Subject to Change 2. Probably their worst show since I have been going live but it's semi forgiven due to all the cancellations and no shows.

How much crack have you been smoking lately? I watched this show last night and finished it this morning before going to class and I thought it was really good. And if Cruisin' For a Bruisin' was below your standards, your standards must be really high.
SoCalAndy

Postby Big Joe » Tue May 09, 2006 12:40 pm

CSTC2 had the *fantastic* spots of Dragon smacking Davey with the mic, and then dumping Cheetos on his head. It *so* worth getting.
Big Joe

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum