Death To All But Metal Takes Place on Friday, May 25, 2012!

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Moderators: PWG_Silverback, PWGTickets

Re: Death To All But Metal Takes Place on Friday, May 25, 20

Postby krayzie Bone » Wed May 23, 2012 8:23 pm

I just hope the show won't get canceled. God only knows how Larry will react to something like that.
Sports Entertainment Sucks
krayzie Bone
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: Death To All But Metal Takes Place on Friday, May 25, 20

Postby abouttreefitty350 » Thu May 24, 2012 3:56 pm

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/05/ ... um=twitter

They were cleaning the attic and found a World War I-Era Howitzer Shell. An explosive ordinance detail from the Marine base at Camp Pendleton came, took it, and blew it the fuck up somewhere near the beach.
User avatar
abouttreefitty350
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:29 pm

Re: Death To All But Metal Takes Place on Friday, May 25, 20

Postby krayzie Bone » Thu May 24, 2012 4:26 pm

Damn this is crazy, PWG should totally name one of their shows after this incident.
Sports Entertainment Sucks
krayzie Bone
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: Death To All But Metal Takes Place on Friday, May 25, 20

Postby abouttreefitty350 » Thu May 24, 2012 4:32 pm

Howitzers In The Attic takes place on Satudray, June 30, 2012!
User avatar
abouttreefitty350
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:29 pm

Re: Death To All But Metal Takes Place on Friday, May 25, 20

Postby ajday » Thu May 24, 2012 9:52 pm

abouttreefitty350 wrote:Howitzers In The Attic takes place on Satudray, June 30, 2012!

Winner
twitter.com/andrewdeyoe
Image
User avatar
ajday
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:06 am
Location: Portland, Or.

Re: Death To All But Metal Takes Place on Friday, May 25, 20

Postby loserkings007 » Sat May 26, 2012 12:46 am

Wow the show really delivered. Kind of wish the No DQ was the Main Event but understandable about the situation.

Image
User avatar
loserkings007
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:52 pm

Re: Death To All But Metal Takes Place on Friday, May 25, 20

Postby abouttreefitty350 » Sat May 26, 2012 12:54 am

I agree. Very solid show. Going in to it, I was most excited about Cage vs. Steen. It didn't disappoint. Great match. Cage proved that he belongs in the main event scene. I'd love to see him at the next show against El Generico or Willie Mack. Both of those have potential to be epic matches.

The Young Bucks vs. SSB was beyond insane. Can't wait to see the DVD to see everything I missed.

First time seeing Michael Elgin in person. Dude is POWERFUL. He would have been epic in early '90's WWF. Can't believe he was able to hit Chaos Theory and a dead lift power bomb on Mack.

While it did suck Cage vs. Steen couldn't main event due to Steen having to catch a flight, but El Generico against Ricochet was a great match to close the show.
User avatar
abouttreefitty350
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:29 pm

Re: Death To All But Metal Takes Place on Friday, May 25, 20

Postby camstun187 » Sat May 26, 2012 6:39 am

Genericochet on the same level as their first match?
camstun187
 
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:10 am

Re: Death To All But Metal Takes Place on Friday, May 25, 20

Postby ShadowMaster » Sat May 26, 2012 7:59 am

Still hungover last night so ill give my 2 cents on the show . Bad fucking ass



SSB SSB SSB
ShadowMaster
 
Posts: 231
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:44 am

Re: Death To All But Metal Takes Place on Friday, May 25, 20

Postby loserkings007 » Sat May 26, 2012 10:21 am

My Quick Thoughts of each match:

Singles Match
B-Boy vs. Famous B
Felt like this was a hard hitting match with some good spots. The Crowd was into it from the beginning. Good opener for the show. B-Boy winning the match but shaking the hand of Famous B after.
I'd say ***

Singles Match
TJ Perkins vs. Ryan Taylor
I don't know what was up with the Ryan Taylor hate discussion earlier. He was really impressive in this bout. TJ Perkins gets the win.
I'd say another solid ***

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Championship Title Match
"Mr. Wrestling" Kevin Steen (Champion) vs. Brian Cage (Challenger)
This was a really entertaining match, but as I said in the other Thread, lots of talking from Steen giving a lot of laughs but too much for a World Title match though. Brian Cage looked Great. Lots of crazy holy crap moments. And a near fall from Cage getting me to think he would have Won the Title. Then a lame roll up pin from Steen. It gave Steen the victory and made Cage look almost unbeatable which is good. I see a World Title for this man in the future. He is main event material. Winner: Steen.
I'd give this a *** ½

No Disqualification Tag Team Match For Tag Team Championship
Super Smash Bros. (Player Uno & Stupefied) vs. The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson)
The second these two teams got in the ring, it was complete madness. I didn't know where to look to be honest. The whole room was standing for this one. Hard chair shots, and the table breaking right next to me. The last few minutes with many near falls and the place was going absolutely crazy. This match, I felt should, and would have Main Evented but due to SSB/and Steen having to travel, their matches were in first Half. But Winner and New Tag Champions...SSB!
I'd give this brawl a ****

INTERMISSION

Six-Person Tag Team Match
Candice LeRae & RockNES Monsters (Johnny Goodtime & Johnny Yuma) vs. "Pretty" Peter Avalon, Ray Rosas, & Joey Ryan
Joey Ryan is now "Trending" Joey Ryan since he was trending world wide on twitter. This was a fun match, little slow or awkward at bits. Some funny bits. Nothing really special honestly, good match to get people into it after the intermission. Candice LeRae & RockNES Monsters pick up the win.
I'd say ** or **½

Singles Match
"Unbreakable" Michael Elgin vs. Willie Mack
I think his has been my favorite Willie Mack match thus far. This match was battle of the titans. Everyone was into this match. This match did not disappoint. I wish it would have actually gone a bit longer though. Willie Mack beats Elgin.
I'd give this a ***½, could have easily passed that if it had gone a bit longer.

Grudge Match
El Generico vs. Ricochet
Even though I thought the Tag Match should have Main Evented the show, This match still delivered as a strong main event and a great closing for the show. Compared past Ricochet vs. Generico, including their recent one in Evolve, I'd say this one has to be my favorite one. From beginning to end, great action, fast paced and some crazy spots. Ricochet pointed out my Dragon Gate shirt during the match, so look out for that on the DVD. I almost thought it was over after Ricochet hit the Top Rope reverse hurricarana I think, to Generico. But Generico picked up the win after a top rope Brain Buster.
This match easily gets a ****

I actually prefer this show over DDT4 even though DDT4 this year was great. Can't wait for next show. I won't be missing it.
User avatar
loserkings007
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:52 pm

Re: Death To All But Metal Takes Place on Friday, May 25, 20

Postby eastbay510 » Sat May 26, 2012 12:24 pm

The crowd was not into Famous B/B Boy at the begining of the match, which just shows how these 2 worked to make us care about them, It turned out to be a really solid opener.

I didnt think Ryan Taylor/TJP was that special, a lot of kicks and "fuck you's" from taylor on the plus side TJ was more over then he usaully is, some nice spots but overall... ehhh.

World title match was good but they didnt go all out here, Which I am not mad at consitering Steen has a concussion, Cage looked good and Steen was fucking halirious, Ive never seen him this funny. I wouldnt be surprised if they were holding back for a rematch.

Tag Title Match was fucking nuts, the table spot happened inches away from me, must see, SSB were the most over out of anybody so happy they won.

intermission was cool, first I went to the bathroom, then I started seriously consitering purchasing a cheeseburger, but then I got cold feet in the end.

6 person tag: didnt care, dead crowd

Elgin/Mack was my favorite match of the night, I know Im the only one who thinks that but it was nice to see two big powerfull guys beating the crap out of each other. Dont get me wrong I love seeing fast paced action and high flying but this match was so diffrent then what we are used to seeing, my favorite Willie Mack match. I cant believe how over Elgin was, the only guys more over then him were Steen and the Smash Bros. A couple weeks ago I said I would go insane if he could hit a chaos theory on Mack, I went ape shit when he hit a DEADLIFT variation of that move, Just an awesome awesome match.

The main event was really good but the crowd was tired by this point (not that they wernt into it, its just after the previous match and the tag title match) good stuff.

over all a really good show, 2 great matches DDT4 was definatly better by the way, and that is in no way a knock on this one.
eastbay510
 
Posts: 777
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: Death To All But Metal Takes Place on Friday, May 25, 20

Postby Itchypanda » Sat May 26, 2012 2:45 pm

eastbay510 wrote:
intermission was cool, first I went to the bathroom, then I started seriously consitering purchasing a cheeseburger, but then I got cold feet in the end.



I love you, dude, just for this.
User avatar
Itchypanda
 
Posts: 196
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:22 am

Re: Death To All But Metal Takes Place on Friday, May 25, 20

Postby eastbay510 » Sat May 26, 2012 4:50 pm

Itchypanda wrote:
eastbay510 wrote:
intermission was cool, first I went to the bathroom, then I started seriously consitering purchasing a cheeseburger, but then I got cold feet in the end.



I love you, dude, just for this.

I really hope people dont copy me and do this with every in depth review... Im not ready for it to go main stream.
eastbay510
 
Posts: 777
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: Death To All But Metal Takes Place on Friday, May 25, 20

Postby B-Esser » Sat May 26, 2012 6:25 pm

I barely post here since I live in New Jersey and am usually behind on DVDs (though I've followed results for years), but I was lucky to learn that this show coincided with a vacation from NJ to Los Angeles and I was able to go before flying home this morning. In the photo above, I'm the guy shown between Knox's legs in the orange shirt, pointed finger salute towards El Generico.

I had an awesome time! I was giddy to step into the famed American Legion I've seen on DVD countless times, not to mention get a Los Angelitos de El Generico shirt (I've met the man twice before, but this is the first time I've seen this shirt in person). Not the biggest Steen fan, but he entertained me during his match, plus Cage is a hell of a physical specimen in person. Nick Jackson flew right over my head in that crazy brawl; nearly took out my shoulder. Really happy for SSB after seeing them tear it up in Chikara before coming to PWG, and now become even more successful and popular. All four of those guys were pros. Also really happy for Elgin having as a good a debut as I can imagine him having (popped huge for the Chaos Theory). Really liked the main event as well (second favorite behind Young Bucks-Super Smash Bros.), and the first reverse rana Ricochet gave to Generico (not the one from the top rope) was the damnedest reverse rana I've seen in a while.

Also, Joey Ryan will always have a special place in here [points to heart].

Image

He posed for this without being asked, though I did have my camera out for him and nearly everyone else.
Image
B-Esser
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:16 pm
Location: Medford in South Jersey (So-Jers?)

Re: Death To All But Metal Takes Place on Friday, May 25, 20

Postby SlayJ » Sun May 27, 2012 11:11 am

In preparation for Death To All But METAL I blasted nothing but Manowar's Hail To England and some Burzum on the way up to Reseda from San Diego, stopped by the Grammy Museum to see the "Golden Gods" Heavy Metal exhibit (and got a pic taken with the huge Eddie statue) and had lunch at the Rainbow Bar & Grill (Dio's Holy Diver played in the bar as I ate one of the best damn bacon cheeseburgers in my life! In other words, I WAS READY TO PUT UP THE HORNS AND KILL SOME POSERS!!! I also went to Disneyland and rode the teacups, but we don't need to talk about that here...anyhoo...on to the show

1) Famous B -vs- B-Boy
(Much like Anthrax's Attack of the Killer B's (see what I did there?), this was a somewhat unwieldy affair that made up for the lack of cohesion with plenty of hard-hitting stiffness and a few cool highspots...and it built well. It took a few minutes for them to settle in to things, but the crowd followed suit and actually busted out a "This is Awesome" chant down the stretch. Personally I would've chanted "This is Pretty Good". But overall a solid opener. **1/2)

2) TJP -vs- Ryan Taylor
(Better wrestling than the opener...slightly less crowd heat. I love watching TJP do his thing. The guy is so smooth in the ring. It's just a shame he hasn't really found whatever it is he needs to get to the next level. It's like he's stuck in this "Match #2" position on the card. To keep with the Metal theme he's kinda the wrestling equivalent to a Dream Theater clone band...tons of talent, insane chops, but no real edge. Taylor has come a long way in the past year and should be in line for good things by the time 2013 rolls around. **3/4)

3) Kevin Steen vs Brian Cage
(Most likely due to Steen's concussion and the fact he had to take the early flight, this lacked the feel of a World Title match (and I still think it should've been non-title). But it certainly was entertaining. Is there anyone in the history of wrestling that does a better job calling his own matches WHILE he's actually performing them than Kevin Steen? I think not! He was a riot here! And even though he was probably at only about 75% "Kill Steen Kill" capacity, there was plenty to like here athletically as well. Cage did a solid job holding up his end, although this wasn't quite the breakout perfomance I was hoping for. There were a few classic Steen comedy moments as he went over to the fan who does that strange monkey dance thing when he bangs the mat and joined in on it. He also grabbed another fan's "fan" to cool himself off with, only to notice that a paper sign was attached to it saying "OLE'". I was two feet away and thought somebody was about to die!! But Steen simply ripped off the sign and ate it. Fucking awesome! ***1/4)

4) The Super Smash Brothers -vs- The Young Bucks (No DQ for the PWG Tag Titles)
(Holy shit was this an awesome brawl!!!! They kicked this little shindig off by basically completely destroying the ringside area where I was residing. As a guy who has been in the middle of Slayer mosh pits, Exodus mosh pits, and countless others, this insanity wasn't far off. I was pretty much caught in the middle of both teams for a couple moments as they were tearing shit up and I was bouncing around avoiding bodies and flying chairs while holding onto my beer pitcher for dear life!! F'n tremendous!!! Even when the guys made it back in the ring, the match never slowed down for a second. And the Smash Brothers winning the belts was a genuine feel good moment as they've taken this company by storm and deserve a run with the belts! Also kudos to the Young Bucks who nearly ALWAYS find a way to steal the show! I'm not sure how this will play out on DVD, but it was easily a ****1/2 live experience to me! The only downside is that nobody could really follow this)

5) The RockNES Monsters/Candice LaRae -vs- Trending Joey Ryan/Peter Avalon/Ray Rosssssas
(As a guy who has ALWAYS loved these wacky multi-person PWG comedy roasts, I hate to say that they may have finally jumped the shark. I don't know where things went wrong for Yuma & Goodtime, but they are not nearly as over as they were at the end of 2011. Maybe it's the fact that the SSB have stolen their thunder, but the crowd was dead for RockNES. And the Candice vs Joey and Avalon stuff is so stale right now. This match was just kind of there to me, which was a bummer. Hopefully they figure out a way to freshen these things up because I don't know if I can handle watching Peter Avalon dry-humping/being dry-humped any longer! *1/2)

6) Willie Mack -vs- Michael Elgin
(A couple bulls in a china shop butting heads! There was a good reaction for Elgin here and pretty much a split crowd overall. These guys are two of the more talented big men in the U.S. today and I think they did a pretty good job for their first time facing each other. It was somewhat sloppy in spots, but there was also a ton of great athleticism. Elgin is SCARY strong! Some of the power moves he did on Mack were awe inspiring. The fact that he kept Mack up for a 20 count in a vertical suplex position is just insane! But it was Willie who put another feather in his "Next World Champ" cap by beating the Unbreakable one. I'm personally still not completely on board the Willie Mack express. But his potential is abundantly clear. ***1/4

7) El Generico -vs- Ricochet
( This was easily the second best match of the night but not as good as their first match up IMO. I think that the momentum built from their first encounter as well as their dissention as a team wasn't followed up on soon enough and it made the rematch suffer a little bit storyline wise. But all of that aside, this was a GREAT fast paced athletic match between two of the best in the biz. I have no clue how El Generico can keep working at the pace that he does. The guy is a freak of nature and deserves to be a household name in Pro Wrestling. Ricochet was excellent as usual, although the crowd reactions for him were pretty disappointing. And if I'm not mistaken, the only outside dive of the match was from Generico (I could be wrong on that, but I was really expecting these two to go all out with the aerial assaults). From a workrate aspect, this was top notch and there were some really good near falls. So despite a few minor criticisms, I really enjoyed this a lot and it was a solid match to close the show. ***3/4)

Overall the show is an easy Thumbs Up. Not as good as DDT4, but definitely worth a look when the DVD comes out. After a bit of a flat start to the year, PWG is back on track and I can't wait for the next show!
SlayJ
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:18 pm

Re: Death To All But Metal Takes Place on Friday, May 25, 20

Postby luca brasi » Sun May 27, 2012 4:13 pm

Thanks PWG, had a blast yet again.
B-Boy vs Famous B had the crowd DEAD at the beginning, B-Boy barely got a pop during his intro. Thy seemed to be going in slow motion at the beginning, but they picked it up and the crowd quickly came alive and showed their appreciation.
TJ vs. Ryan... I agree TJ needs something to get him to the next level... I liked the tag idea for him and BBoy, sounds cool. Match was ok, no one mentioned Ryan Taylor wearing his LA Kings scarf to the ring to a good ovation for the hometown Stanley Cup Finals-bound team!
Cage-Steen was ok, not too stiff but entertaining as hell. Cage definitely on the right track. Some good power moves from him (like catching Steen's body press: holy shit) but he kinda botched his moonsault, and then when he did hit it he overextended a bit. I would like to see him remain aligned with the Fightin Taylors but be their big singles star, and keep Chuckie T and Ryan as a the tag team.
The tag tile NoDQ match defied description, MAAAD props to all 4 guys. I love the Bucks and SSB have won the fans over. The finishing sequence with the ref was just nuts, the lid blew off the ALH.
The 6 man was the only match I didn't like... the Candice thing has gone as far as it can go... the RockNes offense looks mostly too unbelievable, and they looked to be moving in slow motion certain times. And the whole man on woman / man on man simulated rape is just disturbing on too many levels. They need to move on from this... I wasn't too entertained by this match. Maybe if it had been the openeer the crowd would have appreciated it more.
Elgin is a monster, he got a "please come back" and the guy was very impressive. Great addition to the PWG roster.
Generico / Ricochet was a fantastic match as well, damn Generico's chops looked stiff as hell. And one of Ricochet's kicks to Generioico's chest looked to cath him in the mouth... good stuff by both guys. Imagine what they could do in a best of 7 series...
overall, great show!
luca brasi
 
Posts: 247
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:50 am

Re: Death To All But Metal Takes Place on Friday, May 25, 20

Postby eastbay510 » Sun May 27, 2012 7:00 pm

Oh yeah I forgot about Ryan Taylor's scarf, I yelled "fuck the Kings!!!" due to my hatred of So Cal teams, and he said "fuck you" back.
eastbay510
 
Posts: 777
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: Death To All But Metal Takes Place on Friday, May 25, 20

Postby Steve Yohe » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:18 pm

My first live card was in 1962 & I've been watching longer. I went to all the Olympic Shows in the 60's & 70's. I really got involved in the sheets around 1978 & it hasn't stopped. I did quit watching american wrestling around 1999, after WCW created a WC out of an actor. The booking going on during this period made me sick & I could see his company, with the greatest talent roster in history, falling apart...so I stopped watching it. I still kepted up with Japanese wrestling & i read the news in the WON.

Last year, I desided to get back into it and started going to the PWG shows. I even started watch some of the WWE TV, but got sick of that real fast. I did love the PWG shows. To me, the total cards are way better than anything I ever saw at the Olympic. Blows them away.

I also like the PWG fans. There very smart & they like being part of the show, but know the limits & don't take it too far. Most comments are usally right on & fun.

But to an old time fan, it's very strange. I was talking to another old time fan, Dan Westbrook who was the photographer for Gong Magazine, who went to a PWG show, and he was saying the same thing to me. It's all very strange to us. Your all smart & don't pretend to go by KF. You just want good matches, & so do I, but I ready don't understand how fans think today & what gets them off about today's wrestling. I don't get, completely, how they thing. The wrestlers comming out of character is herd for us old guys to get used to.

I know WCW & WWF got the idea over to some fans that wins & losses don't matter. I hate that idea. You need a type of storyline to create a reason for a match. Make it important. I don't mean the WWF style with writers & shit, but the promotion needs a form to it. Do it in the ring, like the Japanese, & don't kill things with too much talk. I know a small promotion has problems...I understand all of that....and what I've seen of PWG booking has been very good.

But I don't understand the mentality of indy fans, and I'm trying to understand how they think today, because I don't like being a dumbass. I'm trying to learn.

There also is a form of Kayfabe on this site, probably doesn't exist outside of it. They push the shows & all the comments are positive. You sell it like the matches as all great & everything wonderful. You don't really get down to why you really book thing, but try to present it in a show Biz way. Which is probably the way to sell it. But I have this way of wanting to cut thru the crap & get the real story. I'm kind of a jerk.

So I posted what I did. Didn't mean to be disrespectful to anyone, but I thought I'd learn something.

I did.

But I am a fan & I do bitch. Just give me a reason I understand & I'm fine.

I think that's enough. I do enjoy the PWF & it's fans.

Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:59 pm

Re: Death To All But Metal Takes Place on Friday, May 25, 20

Postby Matt Flash » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:57 pm

eastbay510 wrote:The crowd was not into Famous B/B Boy at the begining of the match, which just shows how these 2 worked to make us care about them, It turned out to be a really solid opener.

I didnt think Ryan Taylor/TJP was that special, a lot of kicks and "fuck you's" from taylor on the plus side TJ was more over then he usaully is, some nice spots but overall... ehhh.

World title match was good but they didnt go all out here, Which I am not mad at consitering Steen has a concussion, Cage looked good and Steen was fucking halirious, Ive never seen him this funny. I wouldnt be surprised if they were holding back for a rematch.

Tag Title Match was fucking nuts, the table spot happened inches away from me, must see, SSB were the most over out of anybody so happy they won.

intermission was cool, first I went to the bathroom, then I started seriously consitering purchasing a cheeseburger, but then I got cold feet in the end.

6 person tag: didnt care, dead crowd

Elgin/Mack was my favorite match of the night, I know Im the only one who thinks that but it was nice to see two big powerfull guys beating the crap out of each other. Dont get me wrong I love seeing fast paced action and high flying but this match was so diffrent then what we are used to seeing, my favorite Willie Mack match. I cant believe how over Elgin was, the only guys more over then him were Steen and the Smash Bros. A couple weeks ago I said I would go insane if he could hit a chaos theory on Mack, I went ape shit when he hit a DEADLIFT variation of that move, Just an awesome awesome match.

The main event was really good but the crowd was tired by this point (not that they wernt into it, its just after the previous match and the tag title match) good stuff.

over all a really good show, 2 great matches DDT4 was definatly better by the way, and that is in no way a knock on this one.


Nah, I'm with you. Elgin/Mack was my favorite match of the night. I knew Elgin was going to come in an do power moves like Mack was a mini, but he surpassed even my enormous expectations. The dude is quickly becoming an indy juggernaut and he's only going to get better. My only letdown was that he didn't counter Mack's corner Clothesline into a Tilt-A-Whirl slam, because that would have been INSANE. Not that the other dozen huge shows of strength weren't incredible, I just had a picture in my head that didn't come to fruition.
User avatar
Matt Flash
 
Posts: 199
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:37 am
Location: Oxnard

Re: Death To All But Metal Takes Place on Friday, May 25, 20

Postby SlayJ » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:51 pm

Steve Yohe wrote:My first live card was in 1962 & I've been watching longer. I went to all the Olympic Shows in the 60's & 70's. I really got involved in the sheets around 1978 & it hasn't stopped. I did quit watching american wrestling around 1999, after WCW created a WC out of an actor. The booking going on during this period made me sick & I could see his company, with the greatest talent roster in history, falling apart...so I stopped watching it. I still kepted up with Japanese wrestling & i read the news in the WON.

Last year, I desided to get back into it and started going to the PWG shows. I even started watch some of the WWE TV, but got sick of that real fast. I did love the PWG shows. To me, the total cards are way better than anything I ever saw at the Olympic. Blows them away.

I also like the PWG fans. There very smart & they like being part of the show, but know the limits & don't take it too far. Most comments are usally right on & fun.

But to an old time fan, it's very strange. I was talking to another old time fan, Dan Westbrook who was the photographer for Gong Magazine, who went to a PWG show, and he was saying the same thing to me. It's all very strange to us. Your all smart & don't pretend to go by KF. You just want good matches, & so do I, but I ready don't understand how fans think today & what gets them off about today's wrestling. I don't get, completely, how they thing. The wrestlers comming out of character is herd for us old guys to get used to.

I know WCW & WWF got the idea over to some fans that wins & losses don't matter. I hate that idea. You need a type of storyline to create a reason for a match. Make it important. I don't mean the WWF style with writers & shit, but the promotion needs a form to it. Do it in the ring, like the Japanese, & don't kill things with too much talk. I know a small promotion has problems...I understand all of that....and what I've seen of PWG booking has been very good.

But I don't understand the mentality of indy fans, and I'm trying to understand how they think today, because I don't like being a dumbass. I'm trying to learn.

There also is a form of Kayfabe on this site, probably doesn't exist outside of it. They push the shows & all the comments are positive. You sell it like the matches as all great & everything wonderful. You don't really get down to why you really book thing, but try to present it in a show Biz way. Which is probably the way to sell it. But I have this way of wanting to cut thru the crap & get the real story. I'm kind of a jerk.

So I posted what I did. Didn't mean to be disrespectful to anyone, but I thought I'd learn something.

I did.

But I am a fan & I do bitch. Just give me a reason I understand & I'm fine.

I think that's enough. I do enjoy the PWF & it's fans.

Steve Yohe


Well I could talk about this topic and many of the points made for hours, so I apoligize in advance if I ramble here or get off track. I think I see where you are coming from for the most part, Steve. You have certainly experienced much more of Pro Wrestling's evolution than I have. But at the same time I was a fan well before the internet became such a huge factor in the business. So I've seen both sides of that coin myself. I suppose I would classify myself as somewhat of a "smart" fan. I've been subscribing to The Observer since the mid 90's. I was way in to the international scene for quite a few years. I definitely had my time in the sun where "workrate" ruled over all else. I like being knowledgable and debating all kinds of different aspects of the business with other "smart" fans. But at my core, I still want to suspend my disbelief when I'm at a show and really "believe" in what I'm watching. It's a tough thing to legitimately balance. But I do try.

The lack of "Kayfabe" in today's Pro Wrestling is no surprise. It's just another casuality at the hands of technology. I get that it's tough to really keep the curtain up over what goes on behind the scenes. But it's still a bummer to see such a blatant lack of logic and realism in most Wrestling promotions. It's almost like they'd rather we didn't suspend our disbelief whatsoever. Much like you, Steve, I wish Championship Titles were more important. I wish booking made sense consistantly. I wish more matches were built up to elicite an emotional response from people instead of resulting in little more than dueling chants and somebody nitpicking how many spots were blown. Wins and losses should absolutely matter! And I do think a lot of that is lost on today's fans. But despite those negative things, being a fan of wrestling (especially indy wrestling) can offer a lot of positives as well.

To bring this back to PWG, I think that the promotion is fantastic for what it is. It's a place to go every month or so, have a few cold (or occasionally lukewarm) beverages, sit in the front row wedged between somebody you just hope is wearing deoderant, and watch a fun night of Professional Wrestling. Sometimes I wish that there were more actual storylines done to build up matches. Sometimes I wish that the Tag Team title belts looked half way professional. And sometimes I wish that a guy who was pinned by Johnny Yuma in the first round of a tag team tourny wouldn't receive a World Title shot on the next show. But as a wrestling fan, there is SO MUCH more to love with PWG than not. I think the fact that PWG is so universally praised and us fans are a big part of it is AWESOME! There is definitely a feeling of community and bonding with people that goes on at a PWG event. And in some ways, I believe THAT is what drives the passion of many of the "smart" fans. Sharing in the atmosphere of the entire PWG experience with other like-minded people is pretty powerful.

So to go back to your question of "what get's the indy fans off about wrestling today?", I think it's all about being a part of something that makes you feel like your contribution makes a difference. It's about seeing guys work their asses off in front of a small yet enthusiastic crowd. It's about asking yourself "did I have a kickass time and get a little crazy tonight?". And if the answer is "yes" (as my usually is), all the negative things that you could dwell on don't seem so important anymore.
SlayJ
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:18 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests