I'm new to PWG

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

I'm new to PWG

Postby Adam Fury » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:47 am

I've followed ROH for some time now (from the start but only faithfully since their HD Net debut) and Kevin Steens Tweets got me here, and from what I see this looks like great stuff. I've pre ordered "Death to all but metal" and look forward to following PWG from here on out. Is there a place to get some info on PWG's history? Do they have a working relationship with ROH? Any chance of them betting on ippv? It's hard for me to follow a DVD only wrestling fed as I struggled to do so with ROH. Any ways, glad to be here, and I hope to keep up with all things PWG. I'm sick of WWE and TNA, but I watch them for Punk, Bryan, NXT, and Austin Aries.
Adam Fury

Re: I'm new to PWG

Postby Adam Fury » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:53 am

Oh, and do you,have you, or will you ever come to Texas with a show?
Adam Fury

Postby pwaddict85 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:53 am

i'm not sure about the history, wiki isn't bad and the main site has every result ever... as for your other questions.

I don't think I'd call them having a working relationship with ROH. More that they have a relationship with guys who work ROH.

No IPPV in sight and I doubt they'll ever do that because the ROH talent that is under contract wouldn't be allowed on the shows.. PWG runs a DVD only model and they don't tour areas.

I know it's tough following through DVDS but PWG has only ran 20 shows in the last two years. Coming from a newer PWG fan, that is easy enough for me to follow..

My only problem with PWG is lack of storylines not a major issue and also the lack of constant info... There can be some dead periods..

I bet a more experienced PWG fan can color in the lines of this newb guide from a newb lol.
pwaddict85

Postby Adam Fury » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:08 pm

Thanks, I appreciate the reply. I did find the wiki page and it helped a lot, guess I should have thought of that. Makes sense about the ippv and ROH guys. Following on DVD with such few shows should help....true. I guess I see something I like and want it to get bigger ASAP lol. I'd like to see more PWG guys on ROH though, some that I have seen though on ROH don't seem to be taken real serious.(not talking about ROH main stay guys)
Adam Fury

Postby pwaddict85 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:46 pm

i'd love to see Willie Mack on an ROH show but it would cost ROH to fly him in just like it costs PWG to fly alot of guys in.
pwaddict85

Postby BOLA4ever » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:36 pm

PWG Is a fun place to wrestle its like a house party with a ring in the living room-TJ Perkins
pretty much describes PWG its a fun show and will always have a blast. i dont mind there not having that much storyline i watch PWG for the wrestling itself.
and welcome to the PWG family man
BOLA4ever

Postby tmac9311 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:00 pm

PWG more or less runs a "super show" about once a month, so there's not a whole lot to follow show to show, in fact I just buy the shows which I think look like can't miss. Unfortunately PWG started making hype videos/previews which makes every show seem must buy so not sure that helps your following DVD companies. You could get away with just getting DDT4 and BOLA each year, but when watching each show you really become fans of the guys that come up the ranks, which gets you really excited about title matches, such as Smash Bros rise in DDT4, Cage's title shot, and everyone has been excited about Willie getting a title shot for about a year.
tmac9311

Postby Adam Fury » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:36 pm

Actually this info helps me a lot. Since there are no real story lines, and there are only monthly shows, it makes following PWG a little simpler. I'll gladly buy each show at that rate. Thanks for the help, and welcome.
Adam Fury

Postby camstun187 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:56 am

PWG is perfect for me. I work a lot, doing landscaping and whatnot. I have rent, a car payment, and my days of watching wrestling all the time are kinda over. For PWG to just do simple, action-packed shows works. I don't really care for a storyline, because PWG doesn't take itself to seriously to begin with. The fans know what they want to see, and that's good wrestling. They appreciate the hell out of it, too.

I'm just gonna go out on the limb and tell you to buy The Battle of Los Angeles 2007. Night 3 of that tournament is my favorite show of all time, and it got me into PWG like nobodies business. It was my first PWG show, too!
camstun187

Postby eastbay510 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:06 am

SteenWolf is the best show I have ever been to... not far behind are Seven, As The Worm Turns, and Battle of Los Angeles 2009 night 2
eastbay510

Postby Garden State Saint » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:30 pm

BOLA4ever wrote:PWG Is a fun place to wrestle its like a house party with a ring in the living room-TJ Perkins

Did TJ Perkins really say that?
Garden State Saint

Postby Hook The Leg » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:37 am

Garden State Saint wrote:
BOLA4ever wrote:PWG Is a fun place to wrestle its like a house party with a ring in the living room-TJ Perkins

I thought it was Abe Lincoln who said that...
Hook The Leg

Postby PWGLove » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:41 am

I think they don't do ippv because if they did there are some wrestlers they couldnt book since they appear on t.v. for other promotions(so I was told). That was what I was told by a fan who has been watching longer than me and I'm 2 1/2 years in. I would buy a couple older dvd's if you can you will get caught up quick. PWG is worth following even without ippv trust me totally worth it.
PWGLove

Postby Garden State Saint » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:23 pm

Hook The Leg wrote:

I thought it was Abe Lincoln who said that...

This man has a great username. It needed to be said.
Garden State Saint

Postby Hook The Leg » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:44 am

Thanks man!

I think there are some stats that show that if you hook the leg, your odds of winning improve by something like 72.1256%
Hook The Leg

Postby BOLA4ever » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:17 pm

yup he did =)
BOLA4ever

Postby MFKR78 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:20 am

I've been new(ish) to PWG for a while aswell and really enjoy the way everything works.

With a lack of time due to kids and finances for the same reason, PWG's shows aren't too hard to keep up with. Plus I also find that the focus on wrestling and lack of storylines works for me too because you don't get all the soap opera crap like WWE and the shows always seem to end up with supercards every single time.

I've known about PWG for a good while but inbetween watching other stuff before and not watching wrestling at all for a while, I've ended up quite behind on what has been going on. Right now though I'm picking up watching on a regular basis and have watched SteenWolf in full (what an AMAZING show) and am about halfway through Fear right now.

Got to say I was pretty shocked by the stuff with Candice in the 4-way match at Fear though! Saying that Joey Ryan is kinda lucky to be taking those advantages ;) she's looking pretty good these days! How come she's the only female that wrestles in the company? It's fine not having a division but I just wonder why it's always her and her alone rather than a few or none at all.

Looking forward to catching up with the shows and future stuff a lot.
MFKR78

Postby Itchypanda » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:01 pm

MFKR78 wrote:I've been new(ish) to PWG for a while aswell and really enjoy the way everything works.

With a lack of time due to kids and finances for the same reason, PWG's shows aren't too hard to keep up with. Plus I also find that the focus on wrestling and lack of storylines works for me too because you don't get all the soap opera crap like WWE and the shows always seem to end up with supercards every single time.

I've known about PWG for a good while but inbetween watching other stuff before and not watching wrestling at all for a while, I've ended up quite behind on what has been going on. Right now though I'm picking up watching on a regular basis and have watched SteenWolf in full (what an AMAZING show) and am about halfway through Fear right now.

Got to say I was pretty shocked by the stuff with Candice in the 4-way match at Fear though! Saying that Joey Ryan is kinda lucky to be taking those advantages ;) she's looking pretty good these days! How come she's the only female that wrestles in the company? It's fine not having a division but I just wonder why it's always her and her alone rather than a few or none at all.

Looking forward to catching up with the shows and future stuff a lot.

Welcome! My recommendations would be to catch as many of the DDT4, BOLA and most of the DVDs at the end of 2010 until now. In my opinion this was the time that PWG surpassed ROH in the indy world and was just more insanely fun to watch. ROH takes itself a bit too seriously and Chikara is a bit limited in audience.
Itchypanda

Postby MFKR78 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:25 pm

Thanks!

I've actually got a load from 2009 up to present day to check out. I realised I'll never get to watch them in order without being years behind so I decided on going from SteenWolf which was amazing and catching up to present day, then I'll go back and pick out a show here and there to watch from the backlog. Just watched Super Smash Brothers vs American Wolves from Fear and that was awesome too.

PWG is my definite favourite of all. ROH is too serious now but I can watch when I'm in the mood. I think my major problem with them is that the company has changed beyond belief since Sinclair took over. The roster is depleted and there's too many rematches going on, plus it's just lost something which I can't quite put my finger on. The funny thing is that if you want to see the best ROH wrestlers in great matches then they're pretty much all in PWG in super matches that ROH don't put on anyway! Dragon Gate USA, EVOLVE and Chikara are all good too but PWG is far and away the one I enjoy most.
MFKR78

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum