The Watching Older PWG Thread

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

The Watching Older PWG Thread

Postby Garden State Saint » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:51 am

I figure this could be a thread for us to discuss older storylines and matchups.

Just the other day I was watching Austin Aries vs. Zebra Kid from European Vacation II: England and this match included the "most expensive backdrop". :lol:
Garden State Saint

Re: The Watching Older PWG Thread

Postby Meltman » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:10 am

I was recently watching some of Eddie Kingston's PWG stuff. While not the best wrestler, he really had a good rapport with the fans.

I remember in like 2007 when The Dynasty (Joey/Lost) were gonna defend the Tag Titles against Kingston & Claudio. With the whole Hero/Tornado thing brewing they probably would've won too. I even remember an old pic of them both in Claudio's suits. A lot of "what ifs" come to mind.
Meltman

Postby camstun187 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:34 pm

Kingston should have done big things...an early big-time singles title match with Hero would have really helped Hero's title reign. I remember how good their match at ASW6 was getting until the injury...match woulda been a classic.
camstun187

Postby Meltman » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:54 am

camstun187 wrote:Kingston should have done big things...an early big-time singles title match with Hero would have really helped Hero's title reign. I remember how good their match at ASW6 was getting until the injury...match woulda been a classic.

Remember the 4-way with Hero, King, Necro & Ki? Cool little match, but the post-match stuff kinda solidified that King/Hero would likely not work each other in PWG again.

Since then, Hero has left the indies and Kingston seems more consistent now than ever. If the Briscoes and Los Luchas got multiple chances, I think bringing King back after nearly 5 years for one shot wouldn't hurt.
Meltman

Postby Garden State Saint » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:18 pm

Meltman wrote:
camstun187 wrote:Kingston should have done big things...an early big-time singles title match with Hero would have really helped Hero's title reign. I remember how good their match at ASW6 was getting until the injury...match woulda been a classic.

Remember the 4-way with Hero, King, Necro & Ki? Cool little match, but the post-match stuff kinda solidified that King/Hero would likely not work each other in PWG again.

Since then, Hero has left the indies and Kingston seems more consistent now than ever. If the Briscoes and Los Luchas got multiple chances, I think bringing King back after nearly 5 years for one shot wouldn't hurt.

Hero offers some good insight into this match on his new shoot.
Garden State Saint

Postby camstun187 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:21 pm

Man, I simply cannot afford a shoot right now, so tell me about it. The story I heard 4 years ago was that Kingston claimed his hearing was knocked mostly deaf during the match, and when Hero got on the Mic, he assumed Hero was burying him so when Hero started kicking at him, Kingston took it really seriously.
camstun187

Postby Garden State Saint » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:41 am

The way Hero paints it is that Kingston provoked him to do something post match to still look legit.
Garden State Saint

Postby Garden State Saint » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:45 pm

This is more or less an open ended question but why isn't the Iron Man match from Use Your Illusion IV talked about a bit more?
Garden State Saint

Postby talley_1986 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:05 pm

Garden State Saint wrote:This is more or less an open ended question but why isn't the Iron Man match from Use Your Illusion IV talked about a bit more?

I imagine because it's an old match. How many old matches are talked up as much as they should? I went into the match with pretty low expectations. Nothing against Joey or Dragon, but there's just so few guys in modern wrestling that can work a 60 minute match and make it entertaining. Yet, Joey and Dragon shocked the hell out of me as they had a killer match. Easily one of the best PWG matches of 2004.

As far as early shows go, Use Your Illusion IV has to be one of the best. You started off with a surprisingly quality match between the UK Kid and the super underrated Tony Stradlin. Then there's a perfectly fine Talwar vs TJ Perkins match. After that is a killer Arrogance/AXP match. Kazarian and Ricky Reyes had an enjoyable title match. Main event was the MOTYC with Joey vs Dragon. The only downside to the show was the CHIKARA showcase that didn't do a single thing for me. Real pity too because I liked all six guys later on in their careers.
talley_1986

Postby camstun187 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:19 pm

Super Dragon and Ryan had none of the best Iron Man matches of all time, probably my favorite...since i'v watched it more than any other. Screw anyone who criticizes Joey Ryan. He is a great worker and Super Dragon was a perfect dance partner. They had a really awesome feud.
camstun187

Postby talley_1986 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:27 pm

Joey can be hit or miss at times, but when he's on, he's fantastic. I'd put the Iron Man match against Super Dragon, Guerrilla Warfare against Human Tornado and the Guerrilla Warfare against Chris Hero up for three of the best matches in the company's history.

Joey's biggest flaw is probably just that he's a mainstream wrestler stuck in the indies.
talley_1986

Postby Garden State Saint » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:52 am

talley_1986 wrote:Joey can be hit or miss at times, but when he's on, he's fantastic. I'd put the Iron Man match against Super Dragon, Guerrilla Warfare against Human Tornado and the Guerrilla Warfare against Chris Hero up for three of the best matches in the company's history.

Joey's biggest flaw is probably just that he's a mainstream wrestler stuck in the indies.

What matches of his do you believe to be a "miss" of his? I only ask out of curiousity.
Garden State Saint

Postby talley_1986 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:14 am

I can't say I liked any of his Paul London matches, whether tag or singles. Most of his PWG World Title reign was fairly skippable (Although PWG does get points for telling a long story). I don't want to say it's bad, but I found his Guerrilla Warfare match against Super Dragon to be pretty disappointing. They had a great match, but it just kept going on and on and on and on. It's sorta ironic that I loved their hour long iron man match when the time length of their previous match was the biggest negative.
talley_1986

Postby Garden State Saint » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:42 pm

Claudio Castangoli vs. Doug Williams from PWG Battle of Los Angeles 2007: Night One - This may have set the record for most uppercuts in a single match. Maybe aside from Kenny Omega, I wish I could see Doug Williams on a regular basis again on the indy circuit.
Garden State Saint

Postby Garden State Saint » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:58 pm

Today I watched AJ Styles vs. Kevin Steen from Zombies [Shouldn't Run] for the first time in awhile and it's still one of my favorite finishes in PWG history.
Garden State Saint

Postby Whoblehwah » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:48 pm

Garden State Saint wrote:Today I watched AJ Styles vs. Kevin Steen from Zombies [Shouldn't Run] for the first time in awhile and it's still one of my favorite finishes in PWG history.

Zombies Shouldn't Run is one of my favorite PWG shows. Quicksilver vs. Super Dragon was a classic. Arrogance vs. 2 Skinny Black Guys was always great. Speaking of Arrogance though, damn I miss them. Their match with Cape Fear from Beyond The Thunderdome is easily one of my top 10 PWG matches.
Whoblehwah

Postby pwggrodd » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:24 pm

Watching some very early PWG, and something strikes me as odd. Why exactly did Scott Lost wear that thick MMA-esque glove on his left hand? He wasn't left-handed, so it's not like it was to make his punches stronger, and he didn't use a clawhold or anything. Just weird.
pwggrodd

Postby bennym6 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:36 am

Currently watching some 04 PWG. That 10 man elimination match from 88 Miles Per Hour was INSANE.
bennym6

Postby El Generico Mark » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:15 am

watching the 3v3v3 tag team match from BOLA 2008 AMAZING
El Generico Mark

Postby luca brasi » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:19 pm

He (Scott Lost) was protecting a hand that had been broken in the past
luca brasi

Next

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum