DVD Review: "European Vacation," Night 1

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

DVD Review: "European Vacation," Night 1

Postby ChrisV » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:53 am

DVD Review PWG 021806 results & thoughts

By Chris Vetter

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla headed to Europe in February for a pair of shows! The California-based promotion brought most of its roster on the trip, and they performed before a hot German crowd on Feb. 18, 2006, in Essen, Germany, for
ChrisV

Postby VolcanoStyle » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:08 pm

There's commentary? That's weird, I got both this and the one in England that I attended and I didn't know there was commentary. I didn't even know there were people commentating. That said, I'm probably an idiot who just hasn't found out how to turn them on.

Good accurate calls though. Can we expect one of Night 2?
VolcanoStyle

Re: DVD Review: "European Vacation," Night 1

Postby Slappy » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:08 pm

ChrisV wrote:As with all PWG DVDs, there is an option to turn on commentary. Winwood joined a multi-person commentary booth here. While I
Slappy

Postby TigerDriver98 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:18 pm

VolcanoStyle wrote:There's commentary? That's weird, I got both this and the one in England that I attended and I didn't know there was commentary. I didn't even know there were people commentating. That said, I'm probably an idiot who just hasn't found out how to turn them on.

Just press the "audio" button on your remote to access the commentary.

If PWG does start a FAQ thread on this board, that really should be the first thing covered. People have been asking about that since the very first PWG DVD was released.
TigerDriver98

Postby RM Punk » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:26 pm

Some DVDs actually come with a pre-menu graphic that explains how to turn on the commentary... luckily, this was apart of my first PWG DVD, so I've never known the discomfort of watching a Hardkore Kidd match purely for the in-ring action :lol:
RM Punk

Postby ChrisV » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:27 pm

I'm going to a wrestling show on Saturday... I might have time to watch PWG London on Sunday. I would anticipate a review on Tuesday or Wednesday...

Chris
ChrisV

Postby Rish To The Rosh » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:23 pm

ChrisV wrote:I'm going to a wrestling show on Saturday... I might have time to watch PWG London on Sunday. I would anticipate a review on Tuesday or Wednesday...

Chris

I expect you to review my first row marking out for Steen, Bosh and Lost at ****1/2 or higher...
Rish To The Rosh

Postby The Masked Akeem » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:38 pm

I found the crowd at the Germany show to be possibly the most irritating ever, which as you can imagine, covers a lot of ground.

It was seemingly impossible for more than 30 seconds to go by without a chant, and some of the chants were completely bizarre and awkward with "Super Dragon, stiff stiffah" topping the shitlist.
The Masked Akeem

Postby SoCalAndy » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:43 pm

The Masked Akeem wrote:I found the crowd at the Germany show to be possibly the most irritating ever, which as you can imagine, covers a lot of ground.

I found this post by The Masked Akeem to be possibly the most irritating post ever, which as you can imagine, covers a lot of ground.

The German fans were awesome. The fact that they were into the matches for the whole show was great. Plus the fact that they never stopped chanting was really cool. I'm sure a lot of the wrestlers on the show would have said they loved working in front of those fans(AJ Styles on the other hand might say something different) as most wrestlers love working in front of hot crowds. I'd rather have a German wXw crowd over the regular PWG crowds any day of the week.
SoCalAndy

Re: DVD Review: "European Vacation," Night 1

Postby Dr.Octagon » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:28 pm

Nice review.

ChrisV wrote:Steve Douglas (w/ a female manager)

Her name is "Shadow".

Douglas was very impressive,

Yes he is. Just try to get a copy of his matches against Super Dragon her in Europe (wXw & IPW:UK).
Dr.Octagon

Postby Tobey » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:51 pm

The Masked Akeem wrote:It was seemingly impossible for more than 30 seconds to go by without a chant, and some of the chants were completely bizarre and awkward with "Super Dragon, stiff stiffah" topping the shitlist.

Well, since wXw Fight Club 2004 in November... Dragon is really over in Essen cause of his hard strikes and stiff chops... so the right order of the chant is "stiff - stiffer - Super Dragon" - makes more sense, doesn't it? ;)
Tobey

Postby litoness » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:00 am

Great review. I was looking to get a PWG dvd but I couldn't decide which one. Think I'll go with this one now.
litoness

Postby Aaron » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:55 am

The Masked Akeem wrote:I found the crowd at the Germany show to be possibly the most irritating ever, which as you can imagine, covers a lot of ground.

It was seemingly impossible for more than 30 seconds to go by without a chant, and some of the chants were completely bizarre and awkward with "Super Dragon, stiff stiffah" topping the shitlist.

The wXw crowd is the best crowd in the world. Fact.
Aaron

Postby Wreckless » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:09 am

every interview i've read of people who have worked for wxw at some point in time allways point out the crowd as beeing the best they have worked in front off ...i'm pretty sure non stop chanting and cheering beats people politly sitting and clapping after a move
Wreckless

Postby ChrisV » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:37 pm

OK, I've seen some crappy crowds (usually Philadelphia... recent ROH shows in Boston and Buffalo too.) I've seen fans who work so hard to get themselves over, and actually take away from the in-ring action.

Honestly, I've never thought of PWG crowds as being part of this 'problem.' But I've been at IWA-MS shows where fans put themselves so over... to the point that promoter Ian Rotten kicked them out and told them not to return.

That said...

I never thought that way of this German crowd. They were hot, energetic, lively and into the show. Yes, they were loud. Yes, they chanted. I thought the singalong to 'Jonnnny Storm, JoNNNy Stoooorrrrm,' was ridiculous. But they were having fun. And more importantly, I don't think they took away from the in-ring action.

Chris
ChrisV

Postby Aaron » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:08 pm

The 'singalong' sounded like a football song. I thought it was cool!
Aaron

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum