El Generico to WWE?

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Re: El Generico to WWE?

Postby eastbay510 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:01 pm

Did anyone else watch Claudio's match with the Miz last it was terrific, probally Miz's best match, WWE has made Claudio more aggresive reciently, Im really enjoying his WWE run.

As far as Generico goes, I am not surprised at all, Ive heard that they wanted him because he speaks multiple languages and can help with the international market, and to me that sounds like he has a chance to do some good things (and with Punk and Danielson as former world champs Im sure their opinions mean something). Lets give it a fair chance before we judge it, yes its sad to see the old Generico gone, but hes still the same wrestler, as long as he gets a fair shot I can live with him unmasked and speaking.
eastbay510

Postby ESPINOZA316 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:56 pm

No fucking way that it's not Vince. All this crap is him. It's still his company isn't it? He 's the one that made it into this pg garbage. He's the one who is still in the back yelling at people and so on. With the exception of a select few Vince will never let anyone get over that he didn't have his finger all over. He always has to change you, water you down and make you into something completely different because that old piece of shit likes it that way.
ESPINOZA316

Postby El Asian » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:22 pm

ESPINOZA316 wrote:No fucking way that it's not Vince. All this crap is him. It's still his company isn't it? He 's the one that made it into this pg garbage. He's the one who is still in the back yelling at people and so on. With the exception of a select few Vince will never let anyone get over that he didn't have his finger all over. He always has to change you, water you down and make you into something completely different because that old piece of shit likes it that way.

Let see, CM Punk is in a feud with the Undertaker at WrestleMania and has held the WWE title the longest in the past decade, Claudio Castagnoli is the current United States champion and really pulled some great matches as champion even against The Great Khali, Tyler Black and Jon Moxley are currently undefeated even beating the super team consisting of John Cena, Sheamus, and Ryback and hell, it was Tyler that pinned Ryback in the last WWE PPV, and Bryan Danielson is one half of the most successful WWE tag champion in a long time, gee those indie guys are sure getting buried :roll:

Anyways, I have a feeling the most this continues, I feel this thread will digress into something a really retarded discussion, so a request to PWG and just close this board from going further
El Asian

Postby Nasty Nate » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:39 pm

Ole!
Nasty Nate

Postby rohgenextfan » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:34 am

Generico will get over regardless. Mask, or no mask. Ole, or no ole. He'll get over and make a large amount of money, and he'll have WWE's trainers and doctors looking after him. Would WWE make more money with Generico in the mask? I think so. Rey will retire soon, his body is far too damaged to keep going. Sin Cara, in my opinion, won't make the company money, and he's a spot monkey whereas Generico can actually work, and work well. No, scratch that. Generico is a brilliant worker. I still remember when Steen took the belt at World's Finest. The crowd ecstatic, jubilant that Steen won the belt. Only to feel Generico's pain when he started trembling in agony that he lost the belt. To make the entire crowd go from happy to feeling empathy takes one hell of a worker. It wasn't false empathy either. I looked at the fans expressions. There were fans who genuinely felt bad for rooting on Steen. Let Generico have his time in the sun. Let Him reach for the sky. Let Him entertain every single fan in the world. Let Him become World Champion. Because we all know He will.

Ole.
rohgenextfan

Postby Garden State Saint » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:16 pm

I mistakenly saw the same picture of Generico unmasked on another board. If I could have avoided it I would have.
Garden State Saint

Postby abouttreefitty350 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:49 pm

abouttreefitty350

Postby Garden State Saint » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:53 am

Ok, well thats an awesome picture. Two former PWG champions hugging it out.
Garden State Saint

Postby Nasty Nate » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:18 am

Image Ole!!!.....or should I say Eh!!!
Nasty Nate

Postby SlayJ » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:55 pm

As happy as I am to see Generico getting a shot at earning a great living as a Professional Wrestler, I think it sucks that the WWE is changing his name and his gimmick. Just my personal opinion. I understand the reality in this day and age that anytime someone is signed by the WWE, he/she will be renamed, repackaged and retooled so that Vince can own nearly every facet of that character. And sure, it is probably good for business in some aspects (none of which I care about). But I just find it unfortunate that so many fans treat this greed fueled tactic with such apathy. I suppose at this point the majority of fans are just conditioned to feel nothing is wrong with a guy being established with a name, a persona and a gimmick throughout his rise in the business only to have it all gutted as soon as he reaches "The Big Time". If that's your stand, cool. I think it blows myself.

Back in the not so distant past you would have guys move from place to place and remain who they were...even when they'd show up in in McMahonLand. "The Macho Man" Randy Savage established himself in Memphis and when he came to the WWF, he was still the "Macho Man" Randy Savage. And even if Gorilla Monsoon didn't talk about him jumping off a cage onto Jerry Lawler, there was still a sense of history with the character. The fans weren't totally insulted or had it beaten over their heads that, yeah, this is just a dumb sham. Roddy Piper, Jake "The Snake" Roberts, Hawk & Animal, Hulk Hogan...hell, just about EVERYBODY who came to the WWF from elsewhere remained who they were and I loved it! Even Dusty Rhodes with the polka dots was STILL Dusty Rhodes! It helped create that illusion of legitimacy and I appreciated that. There was a sense of reality, cohesion and history to who these men were, instead of them just being "former rugby players" or whatever and having a new name randomly generated with some smartphone app.

The fact that Vince is so paranoid about somebody leaving his company and being able to keep his name and persona is pretty pathetic to me as a fan. Would it kill his business if El Generico came in as El Generico, had a good run for a few years and then went and wrestled elsewhere as El Generico? I highly doubt it. If anything it might help stir up some competition to make Monday Nights exciting again. And I'm also not saying that guys can't get over with different names and gimmicks. I realize that some of them are. And that's great for them. But I still think it's stupid to lobotomize their past to accomplish this. And as for PWG, I'm not always happy with their philosophy of keeping what happens outside of Reseda totally seperate from their storylines. I like having fueds and certain aspects of what happens elsewhere spilling over a little bit (much like the Steen/Generico fued). But at least they allow everybody to come in with the encouragement and freedom to be themselves and work at an elite level. So those are big positives. Anyhow, I've made my long-winded point. Maybe my old-school way of thinking is out of vogue nowadays. But it is what it is. I'll get off the soapbox now.

I think I just need All Star Weekend to hurry up and get here so that I can like Wrestling again. haha
SlayJ

Postby abouttreefitty350 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:31 pm

abouttreefitty350

Postby Nasty Nate » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:47 pm

After watching that match I find that I like El Generico no less. If anything I like him more now. The only thing that is different is you can see his facial expressions more. Robert Anthony took the mask off and I still enjoy his work as well. His charisma will get him very far.
Nasty Nate

Postby Garden State Saint » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:03 pm

Generico unmasked is one thing but those pants are a different story.
Garden State Saint

Postby abouttreefitty350 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:11 pm

Garden State Saint wrote:Generico unmasked is one thing but those pants are a different story.

It's like they ran out of material and made Generico make pants out of his cape.
abouttreefitty350

Postby Garden State Saint » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:25 pm

They must love Brodie Lee in that case. I'm pretty sure he has been wearing the same jeans for years now. :lol:
Garden State Saint

Postby jdrouskirsh » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:47 am

SlayJ wrote:As happy as I am to see Generico getting a shot at earning a great living as a Professional Wrestler, I think it sucks that the WWE is changing his name and his gimmick. Just my personal opinion. I understand the reality in this day and age that anytime someone is signed by the WWE, he/she will be renamed, repackaged and retooled so that Vince can own nearly every facet of that character. And sure, it is probably good for business in some aspects (none of which I care about). But I just find it unfortunate that so many fans treat this greed fueled tactic with such apathy. I suppose at this point the majority of fans are just conditioned to feel nothing is wrong with a guy being established with a name, a persona and a gimmick throughout his rise in the business only to have it all gutted as soon as he reaches "The Big Time". If that's your stand, cool. I think it blows myself.

Back in the not so distant past you would have guys move from place to place and remain who they were...even when they'd show up in in McMahonLand. "The Macho Man" Randy Savage established himself in Memphis and when he came to the WWF, he was still the "Macho Man" Randy Savage. And even if Gorilla Monsoon didn't talk about him jumping off a cage onto Jerry Lawler, there was still a sense of history with the character. The fans weren't totally insulted or had it beaten over their heads that, yeah, this is just a dumb sham. Roddy Piper, Jake "The Snake" Roberts, Hawk & Animal, Hulk Hogan...hell, just about EVERYBODY who came to the WWF from elsewhere remained who they were and I loved it! Even Dusty Rhodes with the polka dots was STILL Dusty Rhodes! It helped create that illusion of legitimacy and I appreciated that. There was a sense of reality, cohesion and history to who these men were, instead of them just being "former rugby players" or whatever and having a new name randomly generated with some smartphone app.

The fact that Vince is so paranoid about somebody leaving his company and being able to keep his name and persona is pretty pathetic to me as a fan. Would it kill his business if El Generico came in as El Generico, had a good run for a few years and then went and wrestled elsewhere as El Generico? I highly doubt it. If anything it might help stir up some competition to make Monday Nights exciting again. And I'm also not saying that guys can't get over with different names and gimmicks. I realize that some of them are. And that's great for them. But I still think it's stupid to lobotomize their past to accomplish this. And as for PWG, I'm not always happy with their philosophy of keeping what happens outside of Reseda totally seperate from their storylines. I like having fueds and certain aspects of what happens elsewhere spilling over a little bit (much like the Steen/Generico fued). But at least they allow everybody to come in with the encouragement and freedom to be themselves and work at an elite level. So those are big positives. Anyhow, I've made my long-winded point. Maybe my old-school way of thinking is out of vogue nowadays. But it is what it is. I'll get off the soapbox now.

That was back in the 80's, a different time back when kayfabe was still alive and well, and wrestling promotion pretended that these were the real personas, not some character they're portraying. There was also some drawing power because plenty of fans knew who they were from the territories. You gotta remember that back then, wrestlers had to stay in character 24/7, and faces and heels would get into major heat for being seen traveling together or hanging out anywhere outside of the locker room. So a guy who suddenly changed his name and gimmick would somewhat be exposing the business. Now, with the curtain wide open, that's not really a factor anymore.

And the fact that you bring up that those guys kept their names and characters in some ways, validates Vince's point of having names he can copyright. How many of those guys you named used their names to play a part in nearly driving Vince out of business?

I guess we just look at wrestling differently. I see a wrestler's ring name/ gimmick as no different than an actor playing a character in a TV show or movie. Just because an actor plays one of my favorite characters doesn't mean I can't enjoy him as an entirely different character, as long as he can pull off the role. If a wrestler has the charisma, it will shine through regardless of their gimmick. If a wrestler has the in ring ability, it will still be there no matter what. Sure, they may adjust their moveset to suit their gimmick, adapt to the style of whatever promotion they're working for, or tone down their moveset in order to handle the hectic WWE schedule, but the talent will still be there.

For Generico, his popularity wasn't because of his gimmick. Yeah, it's fun to sing along to his entrance music and chant Ole during the matches. But the reason why we all love him so much was because he is so damn good in the ring. And that's not going to change in the WWE. The mask or the gimmick didn't make El Generico what he was, the man behind the bask made El Generico what he was, and it's still the same guy. We all know that, and anyone who followed him in the indies isn't going to look at him any differently or appreciate his work any less (at least I hope not, aside from the usual indy marks that will crap on anything WWE does no matter what).
In some ways, it's kinda better that they ditched the gimmick. Even in the indies, the gimmick held him back somewhat. I have no doubt that if it wasn't for the gimmick, he would been ROH champion. Also, the reason why his gimmick did get over was because, despite how ridiculous the whole gimmick is, it got over because the fans were in on the joke. I don't believe something like that can be pulled off on a stage as big as the WWE.

IMO you have to look at it this way: let's suppose the El Generico gimmick never existed and the WWE signed some unknown indie wrestler and gave them that gimmick. Everyone would view him as some guy with a stupid gimmick. If he was as talented as Generico, we'd all be complaining that they're wasting such a great talent with that gimmick. Considering that those of us that follow indie wrestling is a very small minority of wrestling fans compared to the WWE audience, and that to most WWE fans, what someone does prior to debuting in WWE doesn't mean shit, they'd just view him as some guy with a stupid gimmick.
And let's suppose he got to keep the gimmick, and actually got over, where would he be? Knowing WWE, they'd have him as a comedic midcarder along the lines of Santino Marella. And Generico deserves better than that.

On another note, I like that philosophy of keeping what happens in other promotions separate. I would absolutely hate the idea of letting the booking of other promotions dictate how PWG runs their shows. Sure, sometimes there are things that are too good not to get in on like Steen/ Generico, but at the same time just because ROH split up a certain tag team or have two guys feuding with each other shouldn't mean that they can't team in PWG, and just because guys are allies elsewhere shouldn't mean that they can't be feuding in PWG. And do you really think PWG water down someone like Adam Cole to some boring generic guy just because ROH does it too? Or that, when the Bucks happened to be faces in ROH, TNA, or wherever else they happened to be working at at the time, that they should've ditched their awesome heel personas in PWG?
jdrouskirsh

Postby eastbay510 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:17 am

jdrouskirsh wrote:
SlayJ wrote:As happy as I am to see Generico getting a shot at earning a great living as a Professional Wrestler, I think it sucks that the WWE is changing his name and his gimmick. Just my personal opinion. I understand the reality in this day and age that anytime someone is signed by the WWE, he/she will be renamed, repackaged and retooled so that Vince can own nearly every facet of that character. And sure, it is probably good for business in some aspects (none of which I care about). But I just find it unfortunate that so many fans treat this greed fueled tactic with such apathy. I suppose at this point the majority of fans are just conditioned to feel nothing is wrong with a guy being established with a name, a persona and a gimmick throughout his rise in the business only to have it all gutted as soon as he reaches "The Big Time". If that's your stand, cool. I think it blows myself.

That was back in the 80's, a different time back when kayfabe was still alive and well, and wrestling promotion pretended that these were the real personas, not some character they're portraying. There was also some drawing power because plenty of fans knew who they were from the territories. You gotta remember that back then, wrestlers had to stay in character 24/7, and faces and heels would get into major heat for being seen traveling together or hanging out anywhere outside of the locker room. So a guy who suddenly changed his name and gimmick would somewhat be exposing the business. Now, with the curtain wide open, that's not really a factor anymore.

And the fact that you bring up that those guys kept their names and characters in some ways, validates Vince's point of having names he can copyright. How many of those guys you named used their names to play a part in nearly driving Vince out of business?

I guess we just look at wrestling differently. I see a wrestler's ring name/ gimmick as no different than an actor playing a character in a TV show or movie. Just because an actor plays one of my favorite characters doesn't mean I can't enjoy him as an entirely different character, as long as he can pull off the role. If a wrestler has the charisma, it will shine through regardless of their gimmick. If a wrestler has the in ring ability, it will still be there no matter what. Sure, they may adjust their moveset to suit their gimmick, adapt to the style of whatever promotion they're working for, or tone down their moveset in order to handle the hectic WWE schedule, but the talent will still be there.

For Generico, his popularity wasn't because of his gimmick. Yeah, it's fun to sing along to his entrance music and chant Ole during the matches. But the reason why we all love him so much was because he is so damn good in the ring. And that's not going to change in the WWE. The mask or the gimmick didn't make El Generico what he was, the man behind the bask made El Generico what he was, and it's still the same guy. We all know that, and anyone who followed him in the indies isn't going to look at him any differently or appreciate his work any less (at least I hope not, aside from the usual indy marks that will crap on anything WWE does no matter what).
In some ways, it's kinda better that they ditched the gimmick. Even in the indies, the gimmick held him back somewhat. I have no doubt that if it wasn't for the gimmick, he would been ROH champion. Also, the reason why his gimmick did get over was because, despite how ridiculous the whole gimmick is, it got over because the fans were in on the joke. I don't believe something like that can be pulled off on a stage as big as the WWE.

IMO you have to look at it this way: let's suppose the El Generico gimmick never existed and the WWE signed some unknown indie wrestler and gave them that gimmick. Everyone would view him as some guy with a stupid gimmick. If he was as talented as Generico, we'd all be complaining that they're wasting such a great talent with that gimmick. Considering that those of us that follow indie wrestling is a very small minority of wrestling fans compared to the WWE audience, and that to most WWE fans, what someone does prior to debuting in WWE doesn't mean shit, they'd just view him as some guy with a stupid gimmick.
And let's suppose he got to keep the gimmick, and actually got over, where would he be? Knowing WWE, they'd have him as a comedic midcarder along the lines of Santino Marella. And Generico deserves better than that.

On another note, I like that philosophy of keeping what happens in other promotions separate. I would absolutely hate the idea of letting the booking of other promotions dictate how PWG runs their shows. Sure, sometimes there are things that are too good not to get in on like Steen/ Generico, but at the same time just because ROH split up a certain tag team or have two guys feuding with each other shouldn't mean that they can't team in PWG, and just because guys are allies elsewhere shouldn't mean that they can't be feuding in PWG. And do you really think PWG water down someone like Adam Cole to some boring generic guy just because ROH does it too? Or that, when the Bucks happened to be faces in ROH, TNA, or wherever else they happened to be working at at the time, that they should've ditched their awesome heel personas in PWG?

I agree that the generico gimmick wouldn't work in the WWE, he would just come off as generic (and not in a good way). We all know in the WWE if you don't cut promos you won't make it very far and will probably become some racial sterotype. If this helps his his carrer and raises his glass ceiling, I'm all for it.
eastbay510

Postby abouttreefitty350 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:31 pm

Now his name is Sammy Sane.

abouttreefitty350

Postby Souf Centrol » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:25 am

Nasty Nate wrote:Image Ole!!!.....or should I say Eh!!!

Remi!
Souf Centrol

Postby Garden State Saint » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:46 pm

abouttreefitty350 wrote:Now his name is Sammy Sane.

He'll make that name work.
Garden State Saint

PreviousNext

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum