Ten Takes Place August 9! 10 Years of PWG!

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Re: Ten Takes Place August 9! 10 Years of PWG!

Postby do0shebag55 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:09 am

Can't wait! Is it 9 PM already?
do0shebag55

Postby Itchypanda » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:55 am

The first event I have to miss in a long time and it had to be this amazing card. I hope everyone has fun!
Itchypanda

Postby toby80 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:03 am

Hey guys I just woke up and excitedly checked the TEN results (I'm from the UK so can't go to the shows).

I'd love to hear feedback from those that were there!
toby80

Postby abouttreefitty350 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:06 pm

The show was awesome. Pick up this DVD!!!!

I was lucky enough to pick up 3 tickets from someone, but our 3rd person cancelled last minute. As the line started to move, I asked the first person I saw against the wall for at the door tickets if he needed a ticket. His eyes lit up, and my problem was solved. Now check out this coincidence. My brother and I started talking to him, and we asked each other where we were from. He was from Santa Clarita, and my brother told him that one of our friends is a barber out there. Without hesitation, the guy named the barber shop that he goes to, and it was the same one our friend works at! Our friend who cancelled last minute was the brother of the barber from that shop. Small fucking world!!!

The show started around 9 or 9:15, and the Legion Hall was pretty packed. Every match was solid. I did miss the finish to the 3 way match though. Steen hit the BRAINBUSTAAAAAAAAAAAAH on Adam Cole, I look away for a moment, and the next thing I know Adam Cole was being announced as the winner. Hopefully someone can clear up how it ended.

Here are some quick results I found:

(1) Willie Mack & B-Boy & Candace LaRae beat Joey Ryan & Peter Avalon & Ryan Taylor in a six-man tag match. Joey made his return to PWG after parting ways with TNA.

(2) Brian Cage beat Anthony Nese via Weapon X.

(3) Forever Hooligans (Rocky Romero & Alex Kozlov) beat RockNES Monsters (Johnny Goodtime & Johnny Yuma) via springboard knee while Yuma was in the torture rack.

(4) Michael Elgin beat A.R. Fox via Elgin Bomb from the top rope.

(5) Johnny Gargano & Chuck Taylor beat Brian Kendrick & Paul London with an assisted Ace Crusher on Kendrick.

(6) Kyle O'Reilly beat T.J. Perkins via armbar.

(7) PWG champion Adam Cole beat Drake Younger and Kevin Steen in a three-way Guerrilla Warfare match to retain the PWG Title.

(8) PWG tag champions Young Bucks beat Dojo Bros. (Eddie Edwards & Roderick Strong) and Inner-City Machine Guns (Rich Swann & Ricochet) in a three-way ladder match to retain the PWG Tag Titles.
abouttreefitty350

Postby luca brasi » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:22 pm

Steen hit the top rope brainbustah, went for the pin. Drake pulled Steen out of the ring at two and rolled in and covered Cole. At two Cole rolled up Drake with a crucifix for the 1-2-3
luca brasi

Postby krayzie Bone » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:55 pm

This was so far show of the year and one of the best shows I have ever seen in PWG. I thought Steen Wolf cannot be topped, this show topped it.
krayzie Bone

Postby toby80 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:06 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys :P

krayzie Bone wrote:This was so far show of the year and one of the best shows I have ever seen in PWG. I thought Steen Wolf cannot be topped, this show topped it.

Wow... that's one heck of a recommendation!
toby80

Postby CreedP » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:19 pm

krayzie Bone wrote:This was so far show of the year and one of the best shows I have ever seen in PWG. I thought Steen Wolf cannot be topped, this show topped it.

I couldn't DISagree with you more.

Don't get me wrong, it was a very solid show, but IMO the best show of the year is still DDT4. Because it had what Steen Wolf had, and what TEN didn't have.

The Moment.

See, all 8 of the TEN matches were solid. We were discussing, on the drive back, which match comes in 8th place if we put them in order, and that was a struggle. Everyone busted their ass putting on fantastic matches all night long (pun intended! heh), and there were lots of 'thanks for ten years' statements. However, I really expected this show to have at least one PWG Moment. And it just didn't.

About as close as it came was Scott Lost's appearance in the opening match. Someone (Joey? I forget) saw him at ringside and socked him, but Scott got a receipt for that with a cutter on the apron. I thought 'Wow, this is what I expected, some celebrations and shoutouts to the ten-year history' But that was pretty much it.

No Super Dragon, Human Tornado, or any other 'blasts from the past' - the kind of thing that made Steen Wolf's ending so memorable. No 'Steen and Generico finally settle their differences' moment. There was no 'Generico wins the title!' moment, either, as all the champs retained their titles, and if ever there was the RIGHT show to have a 'send the fans home happy' moment, it was the Tenth Anniversary show. But that didn't happen either.

I'll say it again, it was an outstanding show in the ring (and around it! heh), and the DVD is most certainly a must-watch for the fans. But I really left feeling like PWG did themselves a disservice by not having a memorable moment for their ten-year celebration.

Put it this way... I love going to the local steakhouse, its the best steak I've ever had. Even when I don't get the steak, it isn't bad, its still really good food, but the steak is better. However, if I eat there on my birthday, they'll throw in a slice of dessert on the house. This felt like the meal was still amazing, but they forgot the dessert, that's all.

CREED
CreedP

Postby abouttreefitty350 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:41 pm

And I completely disagree. Legion Larry dancing in the ring was definitely a PWG Moment.
abouttreefitty350

Postby krayzie Bone » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:23 pm

What exactly is PWG moment? The whole show was a classic PWG show, what other moment do you need? Focus on wrestling cause this is what counts. Its not about Larry dancing, its about wrestling. You guys are too dramatic. What made the show awesome is wrestling. I said it before and I will say it again, a perfect show must exist of various matches, not one sided. So this is why I loved this show. Cause it had technical, high flying, strong style, some comedy and two extreme matches. It was a perfect combination of just about everything a wrestling fan can expect? You complaining that Human Tornado or Super Dragon didn't show up? Trust me this is not a problem.
krayzie Bone

Postby abouttreefitty350 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:33 pm

I was joking with my Larry comment. I completely agree with you on all the points you hit Krayzie Bone.
abouttreefitty350

Postby CreedP » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:58 pm

Legion Larry was pretty funny all right.. :D

But not everything in wrestling is about wrestling. Why did the place explode at Steen Wolf when Super Dragon showed up? Why did everyone go nuts when Steen came back and hugged Generico? If it was JUST wrestling, just skill in the ring, we wouldn't be able to care so much when these things happen.

And again, I'm not saying TEN was at all a bad show, no sir. It was an outstanding show. But I was really hoping they'd go for topping Steen Wolf, since it is a special occasion. And it didn't feel like they did... sure, the wrestling was amazing, top to bottom , the ladder match was insane... The Panama Destroyer through a table was all kinds of nuts! Nese made a great debut showing, the chicken fight ... great stuff.

Like I said, I just thought we'd get something extra for the celebration of ten years of PWG, the birthday cake after a great meal. Still a good show, still one I'll recommend and buy.

CREED
CreedP

Postby CreedP » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:07 pm

(Sorry for the double post, but since you can't edit your own posts...)
Oh, and the other thing. Both heel champs retaining. That took the wind out of my sails, especially with Cole miraculously shrugging off a freakin' turnbuckle brainbuster! lol If either one had lost to ANYONE else in the match, it would have rocked the place.

It just felt like some weird booking, like when dirtbag heel Triple H builds to the big match at Wrestlemania, then retains the title in the Main Event, only to lose it to the same guy two months later. Why didn't you have him win at the biggest show of the year, instead of using THAT to sell more PPVs? It's backwards. And that's how I felt about Cole 'stealing one' yet again, especially when the crowd is molten hot to see Drake win. Or just to see Cole lose. Or the Bucks.

To put it another way, if Inner City had won the ladder match, you don't have to spend ten minutes thanking the crowd and 'keeping the party going', the crowd would already be celebrating and singing 'All Night Long ' on their own, haha.

But in the end, it is what it is. The show is still good, but in my book, it didn't knock Steen Wolf off the pedestal of Best PWG Show Ever, or DDT4 from Best 2013 Show. Different strokes, I guess. :)

CREED
CreedP

Postby toby80 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:42 am

Which match would you guys say stole the show? Was the ladder match as bonkers as expected?
toby80

Postby krayzie Bone » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:21 am

Ladder match was my favorite, it was insane and Ricochet did stuff that I didn't think was physically possible. TJP vs Kyle was probably my second favorite match. I don't think the crowd would have popped huge for older PWG stars if they did show up. I mean when Scot Lost came out, most fans didn't react cause they didn't even know who he was. PWG has many new fans and they are not familiar with old talent. Super Dragon would probably be the one original who still gets a huge reaction from the crowd.
krayzie Bone

Postby toby80 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:24 am

krayzie Bone wrote:Ladder match was my favorite, it was insane and Ricochet did stuff that I didn't think was physically possible. TJP vs Kyle was probably my second favorite match. I don't think the crowd would have popped huge for older PWG stars if they did show up. I mean when Scot Lost came out, most fans didn't react cause they didn't even know who he was. PWG has many new fans and they are not familiar with old talent. Super Dragon would probably be the one original who still gets a huge reaction from the crowd.

I can't wait to watch it. Sounds like a killer show.
toby80

Postby ShadowMaster » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:25 am

The show was great all the match's were solid from top to bottom . I'm feeling pretty good with my BOLA pick in Kyle O'Reilly he was bumped up on the card and put on a hell of a match with TJP . Me and a couple fans around me were talking about how London looked like he was drunk or on something . There was a scary moment before the show started as fans were lined up getting in the Legion Hall , I believe a fan fell over and hit he's head really hard it was pretty scary but luckly he was ok . Really can't wait for BOLA
ShadowMaster

Postby CreedP » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:53 am

I'll second the ladder match praise, though its hard to take it all in from ground level, heh. It'll probably be easier to watch and absorb it all from the DVD. And HELL yes, TJ/Kyle was amazing, a clinic in counter-wrestling. I expected it to be a good match, and I was blown away by how much better it was than I expected! :)

Elgin/Fox was also way better than I expected, just a great back-and-forth match that had everyone cheered, clapping, chanting, and pounding the mat. And I have to mention again that we were impressed by Tony Nese, and look forward to seeing more of him in PWG!

Yeah, after the Props, gotta give Slops to the guys who couldn't hold their alcohol. I had one guy jump out of his seat to move from action, then flinch hard when they rolled back in the ring, spilling his beer all over my pants. Ugh... or the drunk kid who nearly got involved in the end of the Guerrilla Warfare match, kept trying to touch the guys after the match, and got himself kicked out. But that's a small speed bump in this outstanding show. :)

CREED
CreedP

Postby krayzie Bone » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:47 pm

CreedP wrote:I'll second the ladder match praise, though its hard to take it all in from ground level, heh. It'll probably be easier to watch and absorb it all from the DVD. And HELL yes, TJ/Kyle was amazing, a clinic in counter-wrestling. I expected it to be a good match, and I was blown away by how much better it was than I expected! :)

Elgin/Fox was also way better than I expected, just a great back-and-forth match that had everyone cheered, clapping, chanting, and pounding the mat. And I have to mention again that we were impressed by Tony Nese, and look forward to seeing more of him in PWG!

Yeah, after the Props, gotta give Slops to the guys who couldn't hold their alcohol. I had one guy jump out of his seat to move from action, then flinch hard when they rolled back in the ring, spilling his beer all over my pants. Ugh... or the drunk kid who nearly got involved in the end of the Guerrilla Warfare match, kept trying to touch the guys after the match, and got himself kicked out. But that's a small speed bump in this outstanding show. :)

CREED

Yeah the drunks are getting to be a major distraction at the shows. If someone spills their beer on me they getting their ass kicked. The only drunk that I like is Joe, he is a nice guy. lol
krayzie Bone

Postby abouttreefitty350 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:03 pm

Yeah, the drunk guy that got kicked out almost started a fight at his seat during intermission. Another shitfaced guy choked him and asked him if he wanted to take it outside. Fat drunk kid was too fucked up to fight back and old drunk guy backed off.
abouttreefitty350

PreviousNext

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum