Wrestler fan relationship

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Wrestler fan relationship

Postby eastbay510 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:38 pm

What are you guys thoughts on the relationship between the wrestlers and the fans? Does it matter at all or does it just matter that they are great in the ring? For example Some of the most over guys in the last few years have been Generico, Drake, and Steen, all great wrestlers but because they are so friendly towards the fans it makes me personally root for them even harder. Hell, even take The Young Bucks, they are both cool ass dudes and because of that I want to boo them even more, out of both respect for them and because it is so much fun to do so.

For me personally no matter how great someone may be (Low Ki for example) if a wrestler is an asshole I will have a lot harder time getting into their matches. I definatly don't want to see wrestlers kiss fans asses to get support, but because wrestlers hang out with the fans before and after shows without a "$5 ticket to meet your favorite guy", I really feel like they can almost get the fans behind them before the show starts. Talking to the wrestlers (for me anyway) is part of the PWG experience, and I feel like being fan friendly is important to the indys in general, what do you guys think?
eastbay510

Re: Wrestler fan relationship

Postby toby80 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:04 pm

Yeah when a wrestler is clearly appreciative of the support their fans give them, as you say it makes you want to root for them even more. Too much shouldn't be expected of them, but what I like so much about the indy scene is the DIY, punk-rock spirit that exists between the wrestlers and fans.
toby80

Postby The_Sharpshooter » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:13 am

I think its great when wrestlers interact with the fans, both in & out of the ring. It can be a positive and a negative. I've had my fair share of confronting some of the wrestlers at other shows, and a majority of them are some of the coolest guys I have ever met. At first, I never expected much when approaching these individuals. At the most, maybe a handshake or "hello", and most of the time I got a little more (conversation, pics, blazing a joint).

Over the years, the more guys I met, the more I rooted for... I also noticed that I started dissing the guys who were complete dicks to me outside of the ring. This is the negative part. Point and case, Roderick Strong & Brian Kendrick. To guys who Ive seen act like complete "douchebags" to not just me, but other fans as well. Truthfully, instead of appreciating there in-ring work, I took it personal and didn't root for them.
The_Sharpshooter

Postby CreedP » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:18 am

Eh, I try to say hello and thank all the guys at the PWG shows (I can't speak to other companies, I only attend PWG). Some are less friendly than others (Roddy, Cage) but not rude, just not overly interested in talking to fans. Others like Steen, Drake, and Ricochet are pretty cool. But I don't let it bother me.... it helps when they are more receptive, like my buddy who is a big Ricochet fan, and appreciates him a little more because he's good to talk to and such.

But I don't let it bother me... I just imagine myself as a wrestler, and all these random people coming up and saying stuff, not all of which is necessarily positive, heh. It probably gets tiring after a while.
CreedP

Postby eastbay510 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:37 am

I couldn't disagree about Roddy more, I talk to him at a lot of shows, he is a cool ass dude. I would say he kind of has a jokingly asshole way about him.
eastbay510

Postby rohgenextfan » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:52 pm

Maybe the wrestlers who don't interact with fans are introverted or shy? The Rock is considered the most charismatic wrestler in the industry's history, but, from what I've heard, He's actually quite introverted and asocial. Is that a bad thing? That's just his personality, and that doesn't affect whether I cheer or boo them. Take, for example, Low Ki. I've heard He is difficult to work with both for wrestlers, and for promoters. I've also heard He is not approachable. However, I have approached Him and took a picture with him. As did other eager fans at the show (It was at a WAR show, the afternoon he wrestled Davey Richards), and he had played basketball with my friend's little brother. So, I don't quite understand why fans think he's an asshole. As for the fans approaching Ki, he was nice and talked to everyone that approached him. Of course, I don't expect him to talk at length, but not doing so doesn't make him an ass. I once tried to talk to The Briscoes once, but they only said "Hey" and quickly walked away. They weren't being mean, they were trying to get to their rental car and get to the airport as soon as possible. At the same show, Delirious was extremely cool and approachable. Staying in gimmick and playing with the fans after the show. That doesn't belittle the Briscoes for briskly walking away. I once tried to talk to the Havana Pitbulls, but they kept talking to the women from Lucha VaVoom, which annoyed me because I was visible ( I was standing in front of them), they had already finished their match, and I had my camera in my hand. But they ignored me. Bastards. I just wanted a picture, but I still think of them the same way I did before that happened. I mean, I've met assholes (Aaron Aguilera), but I don't consider the wrestlers at PWG assholes. Then again, I only talk to a few wrestlers as I, myself, am quite shy and introverted. I was surprised Super Dragon was cool and approachable at last year's WrestleReunion.

At my first independent wrestling show, Pro Wrestling WAR at the Anaheim marketplace, I was yelled at by Steen when I tried to tell him good luck at his Ring of Honor appearance. I felt bad and embarrassed, until I realized I shouldn't have tried to talk to him while he was still in character. Later that night, I called out to Aries for a picture. He struck a pose. I asked for a picture with him, and he told me I'd have to pay him for one. He then walked toward me. I pulled out what may have been a $5 or $10 bill. When Aries saw it, he shook his and declined, and gladly took a picture with me for free. Still remember that. The Hardy brothers were nice to me when I met them. So much so, that, Matt let me hold his Cruiserweight championship belt during his reign. However, there are some things that change. For example, being that I started with Pro Wrestling WAR, I was a big Davey Richards fan and had followed is career in PWG and ROH. At a WAR show at the Inoki Dojo (April or May 2005), I asked for a picture. Oh gosh, was Davey shy and surprised that a fan wanted a photo back then. However, I no longer care for Davey after that shit he pulled (won't mention it, though I'm sure you guys know about it.)
rohgenextfan

Postby fatallylost » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:07 pm

I may have a slightly different view, for a few reasons, but, here's my two cents.

I love being able to say hey, or even talk to the guys at shows. I go in knowing that, for the most part, 1. The couldn't care less about me, personally. In some cases, they probably interact with hundreds, if not thousands of people on a monthly basis. I usually just say great match, I love your work, whatever it may be, and never, once, expect anything from them.

Case in point, when I was more of just a regular fan, another guy in the crowd, I'd get pics, talk what I could, etc. But, at that point, the Bucks never came out, ever, at the shows. It sucked, a little, because I like to thank the guys for what they do. But, I never expected them to.

Since then I've talked to them many times, in many places. Usually just random small talk, because I know my place in the thick of things.

On the other hand, it lends much more to the mystery of each worker if they aren't out there all the time. There are always exceptions. It fit Generico perfectly that he was at the gimmick table almost every show, multiple times most times. But, I know PWG is an entirely different world, in many ways. But, I prefer the mystique. I met Davey once, and he seemed somewhat uninterested in shooting the breeze with anyone, which is not only understandable, but, that should almost be expected, for what they all do.

I guess my long-windedness boils down to this, unless someone goes out of their way to be a dick, them being more closed off shouldn't effect how anyone views someone. Everyone has good days, and bad days. Some people are the life of parties, and some are wall-flowers. But, I too have fallen into the category of liking someone more because of a rapport we have, maybe some jokes that were had, even if I'm not that big a fan of their actual in ring work, or style (more often style than quality, to be honest.)
fatallylost

Postby Souf Centrol » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:58 pm

I think it does help to be nice to the fans but at the same time, some fans are crazy. Start asking shit they shouldn't be or act like they are in the business. I remember this one drunk guy (at pwg) talking crazy to hero. He seen me coming and just ignored the guy and spoke to me. I was shocked her remembered me(although I am one of the only black guys that go lol)

I have to disagree about Roddy, he is cool. I guess I just don't rub wrestlers the wrong way. I usually get my pic and be out unless I have chilled with them before then I talk to them. I have never had a bad experience. Probably because I'm not a mark as they call it. I'm a fan of your work but you're a man just like I am and I treat them as such. If we are outside of wwrestling I'm not talking wrestling to them. The young bucks are awesome, willie mack is awesome, peter, ray rosas, candice of course, hero, claudio, generico of course, the list goes on

Just don't approach them asking dumb shit and you should be ok
Souf Centrol

Postby fatallylost » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:20 pm

You're one of the few black fans there, only cause I stopped going. But, I will be back! #BadJokes
fatallylost

Postby The_Sharpshooter » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:47 am

Souf Centrol wrote:I think it does help to be nice to the fans but at the same time, some fans are crazy. Start asking shit they shouldn't be or act like they are in the business. I remember this one drunk guy (at pwg) talking crazy to hero. He seen me coming and just ignored the guy and spoke to me. I was shocked her remembered me(although I am one of the only black guys that go lol)

I have to disagree about Roddy, he is cool. I guess I just don't rub wrestlers the wrong way. I usually get my pic and be out unless I have chilled with them before then I talk to them. I have never had a bad experience. Probably because I'm not a mark as they call it. I'm a fan of your work but you're a man just like I am and I treat them as such. If we are outside of wwrestling I'm not talking wrestling to them. The young bucks are awesome, willie mack is awesome, peter, ray rosas, candice of course, hero, claudio, generico of course, the list goes on

Just don't approach them asking dumb shit and you should be ok

I don't ask dumb questions, I get in & get out. I have had great communication with a lot of wrestlers, but from personal experience, Roderick is a complete dick. First off, its not hard to meet these guys. I've met almost the entire PWG roster at some point, and without a doubt a lot of them are cool guys. Very chill, easy to approach and your right, non-wrestling conversation is the way to go.. However, it doesn't change the the fact that my only two bad experiences have come at the hands of Roderick & Kendrick. I've heard from others that Kendrick was cool, but my experience was different.

I get Roderick's personality, but it wasn't a case of him being him, it was a case of him not getting $10 a pic at an ROH pre-show from other fans, so decides to be a dick to everyone who approaches him after the show. Seriously, the dude actually asked fans after the show if they purchased a pic with him earlier. Keep in mind, he had Austin Aries, The Briscoes & Colt Cabana nxt to him signing and taking photos with fans who didn't have any money.
The_Sharpshooter

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum