Picks For Battle Of Los Angeles 2006 Anyone?

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Picks For Battle Of Los Angeles 2006 Anyone?

Postby It's A Bomb » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:54 pm

So with Scorpio Sky already announced, who do you guys want to see in this year's BOLA? It's early, but I'm really excited for this year's tournament. Don't know how many people are going to be in the tournament this year, so I'll just list 16(with Sky already in, so it would really be 15) and some random wrestlers.

1. Scorpio Sky
2. Davey Richards
3. Chris Sabin
4. Kevin Steen
5. El Generico
6. B-Boy
7. Alex Koslov
8. Jack Evans
9. Roderick Strong
10. Matt Sydal
11. Super Dragon
12. American Dragon
13. Quicksilver
14. AJ Styles
15. Claudio Castagnoli
16. Chris Hero

Other names I'd like to see:

17. Ricky Reyes
18. Colt Cabana
19. Necro Butcher
20. Austin Aries
21. M-Dogg 20
22. Alex Shelley
23. Frankie Kazarian
24. TJ Perkins
25. Jay Briscoe
26. Mark Briscoe
It's A Bomb

Postby onlxn » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:32 pm

Somebody (I think TD98) noted that Cabana's listed the BOLA dates on his website, so it seems reasonable to assume that he's in...

For the hell of it, here's some TWGP-style 32-person fantasy booking. The two goals, as I see it, are to elevate Scorpio Sky and to elevate the prestige of the tournament itself. With that in mind...

NIGHT 1
Scorpio Sky over Frankie Kazarian
Davey Richards over Quicksilver
AJ Styles over Jimmy Rave
Homicide over Matt Sydal
Jack Evans over Scott Lost
B-Boy over Chris Hero
American Dragon over Rocky Romero
Human Tornado over Austin Aries

Scorpio Sky over Davey Richards
AJ Styles over Homicide
Jack Evans over B-Boy
American Dragon over Human Tornado

NIGHT 2
Super Dragon over Roderick Strong
Chris Bosh over Chris Sabin
Alex Koslov over TJ Perkins
El Generico over Delirious
Samoa Joe over Alex Shelley
Necro Butcher over Ricky Reyes
Kevin Steen over Colt Cabana
Joey Ryan over Claudio Castagnoli

Super Dragon over Chris Bosh
Alex Koslov over El Generico
Samoa Joe over Necro Butcher
Kevin Steen over Joey Ryan

NIGHT 3
Scorpio Sky over AJ Styles
American Dragon over Jack Evans
Super Dragon over Alex Koslov
Samoa Joe over Kevin Steen

American Dragon over Scorpio Sky
Super Dragon over Samoa Joe

Super Dragon over American Dragon to win BOLA 2006

------------
As I've said elsewhere, I don't think Scorp should win it all this year -- winning BOLA won't be as meaningful if it just goes to a young So-Cal guy every year. This is an attempt to balance that out. Scorp gets three big wins, over Frankie, Davey and AJ (and there's certainly no shame in losing to Danielson). But Super Dragon wins the whole shebang, and in the most impressive possible way: by beating Danielson and Joe back-to-back.

Super Dragon is the king of PWG, the king of So-Cal. Tie BOLA to his legacy, and it'll mean a lot more if Koslov or someone wins it in '07.
onlxn

Postby SoCalAndy » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:07 pm

Samoa Joe

No thanks.
SoCalAndy

Postby ToddMartin » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:57 pm

They can't do back to back 12 match shows, followed by another show on the 3rd night at the same building. It would be way too draining on the audience.
ToddMartin

Postby onlxn » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:33 pm

Yeah, probably true. But frankly, I'm not sure what they *can* do. I just don't see them stretching out a 16-man tournament over three shows, and 24... well, shit, I just don't like the idea of a three-way final. We shall see...
onlxn

Postby ToddMartin » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:38 pm

onlxn wrote:Yeah, probably true. But frankly, I'm not sure what they *can* do. I just don't see them stretching out a 16-man tournament over three shows, and 24... well, shit, I just don't like the idea of a three-way final. We shall see...

Sure they can drag a 16 man tournament over 3 nights. First night is 8 first round matches. Second night is 4 quarterfinal matches and 4 bonus matches. Final night is the semis, finals, and 5 bonus matches. It works perfectly, and you don't have the problem of Styles and Bosh doing a 4 minute match at the end because the show has gone so long and the guys are really tired from 3 matches the same night.
ToddMartin

Postby WannaB » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:18 pm

ToddMartin wrote:
onlxn wrote:Yeah, probably true. But frankly, I'm not sure what they *can* do. I just don't see them stretching out a 16-man tournament over three shows, and 24... well, shit, I just don't like the idea of a three-way final. We shall see...

Sure they can drag a 16 man tournament over 3 nights. First night is 8 first round matches. Second night is 4 quarterfinal matches and 4 bonus matches. Final night is the semis, finals, and 5 bonus matches. It works perfectly, and you don't have the problem of Styles and Bosh doing a 4 minute match at the end because the show has gone so long and the guys are really tired from 3 matches the same night.

So true...
WannaB

Postby onlxn » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:49 pm

ToddMartin wrote:Sure they can drag a 16 man tournament over 3 nights. First night is 8 first round matches. Second night is 4 quarterfinal matches and 4 bonus matches. Final night is the semis, finals, and 5 bonus matches. It works perfectly, and you don't have the problem of Styles and Bosh doing a 4 minute match at the end because the show has gone so long and the guys are really tired from 3 matches the same night.

I don't disagree that this might be a good idea, as crowd burnout is a real risk with a triple-header, but I really don't think they're going in that direction. They started pimping this year's BOLA as their biggest shows ever in friggin' APRIL, and it's not like they can get dramatically bigger names for the tourney than they did last year. The only way BOLA can get "bigger" is by adding workers.

I agree that 32 would probably be too many, but 24 would be just fine -- it'd mean no more tourney matches per night than last year. A three-way final doesn't sound ideal to me, but it works for TPI. Or maybe a 32-man structure with a bunch of byes... not sure. But whatever it is, I'm pretty sure they didn't add that third day to dilute the impact of the tournament.
onlxn

Postby Deviant » Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:39 am

So... when can we expect some updates on this shindig already?! IWA-MS's TPI is a month later than BOLA, and they already have 16 of 24 names announced! I'm coming from Australia for BOLA and I'd like to at least know the format of the big event by now. C'mon man, PWG has hyped BOLA beautifully, and making it three nights has added a tonne of intrigue...

You're killing us here, guys!!
Deviant

Postby Big Joe » Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:05 am

Deviant wrote:So... when can we expect some updates on this shindig already?! IWA-MS's TPI is a month later than BOLA, and they already have 16 of 24 names announced! I'm coming from Australia for BOLA and I'd like to at least know the format of the big event by now. C'mon man, PWG has hyped BOLA beautifully, and making it three nights has added a tonne of intrigue...

You're killing us here, guys!!

Not really. IWA is just jumping the gun, and at least 1/3 of that field won't be on the show.
Big Joe

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum