BOLA 2014

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Re: BOLA 2014

Postby The_Sharpshooter » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:33 am

The_Sharpshooter wrote:If anyone has (3) extra Tix to BOLA.. Im Willing to pay a little extra.. Send me a PM :mrgreen:

I just got paid Friday... anyone looking to make a little extr cash, Ill take any tix anyone.can spare..
The_Sharpshooter

Postby lunatic903 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:40 am

My buddy is still looking for tickets if anyone can help
lunatic903

Postby wmack » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:46 am

Might have 1 front row to sell for night 1 yet I wont know 100% until Thursday/Friday. PM me with your # and your offer if you're interested.
wmack

Postby toby80 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:45 pm

Just 1 day to go!

I don't think I've ever been so excited for a set of shows :P
toby80

Postby do0shebag55 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:12 am

toby80 wrote:Just 1 day to go!

I don't think I've ever been so excited for a set of shows :P

QFMFT. Almost as good as the shows is the hanging out in the line before the show and getting progressively more and more hyped for the best wrestling in the world with some of the best wrestling fans in the world. American Legion Hall #308 is now that consecrated land where fans from all over the world make a pilgrimage to witness something very special.

Meeting up with old friends, making new ones, collectively getting fired up, playing games in line to not let that collective hype boil over, getting hassled by Larry... Good times along with the fact that we get 3 freakin' shows in a row this weekend! I expect to be drained of all bodily fluids akin to a religious experience, and I can't freaking wait!
do0shebag55

Postby pwggrodd » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:13 pm

Final picks anyone? Here's mine-
Night One-Fish, Lee, Strong, Ciampa, Styles, O'Reilly, Mt. Rushmore, and World's Cutest Tag Team.
Night Two-Gargano, Swann, Sabre Jr., Ricochet, Sydal, Omega, Unbreakable F'N Machines, and the Young Bucks.
Night Three-Strong to win the tournament, and I'll bet there's two non-tourney matches. The standard big loser's tag, and the winners of the two standard tags on Nights One and Two will face off for the Number One Contendership to the Tag Titles (since the Best Friends are out for a while). I have the Machines winning that one. A bit of fantasy booking to be sure, but there's my guesses.
pwggrodd

Postby abouttreefitty350 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:49 pm

SPOILERS!!!!!

Spoiler: show
TJ Perkins over Bobby Fish.

Roderick Strong over Biff.

Trevor Lee over Cedric Alexander.

Candice and Joey retain.

Elgin over Ciampa.

AJ over Curt Hawkins.

O'Reilly over Gooback.

Best Friends of Low Moral Fiber over The Young Bucks and Cole.
abouttreefitty350

Postby loserkings007 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:59 am

Been having a great time the past two nights of PWG. Cannot wait for the finals!
loserkings007

Postby abouttreefitty350 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:05 pm

Kenny Omega vs ACH was one of the best matches I've seen in recent memory. Holy shit!
abouttreefitty350

Postby abouttreefitty350 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:54 pm

Spoilers below!!!

Night 3 results (courtesy of PwPonderings because I'm too lazy to write them up:

Quarterfinal Round: Johnny Gargano d. Candice LeRae via Hurts Donut

Quarterfinal Round: Ricochet d. TJ Perkins via Benadryller

Quarterfinal Round: Trevor Lee d. Michael Elgin via small package

Quarterfinal Round: Kenny Omega d. Matt Sydal via electric chair driver

Quarterfinal Round: Roderick Strong d. AJ Styles via disqualification

Quarterfinal Round: Kyle O’Reilly d. Zack Sabre, Jr. via triangle choke

*Roderick Strong attacks O’Reilly after the match, knocking him out of the tournament. Strong advances to the finals

The Young Bucks and Adam Cole d. ACH, Chris Sabin, and Brian Myers via spike tombstone on ACH

Semifinal Round: Johnny Gargano d. Trevor Lee via Garga-No Escape

Semifinal Round: Ricochet d. Kenny Omega via Benadryller

Chris Hero, Joey Ryan, Chuck Taylor, Rich Swann, and Willie Mack d. Biff Busick, Drew Gulak, Cedric Alexander, Bobby Fish, and Tommaso Ciampa when Swann pins Fish after a frog splash

Final Round: Ricochet d. Johnny Gargano and Roderick Strong to win the 2014 Battle of Los Angeles.

Here are my random thoughts from this weekend:

Holy shit it was fucking hot in the legion hall.

Kenny Omega vs ACH was one of my favorite matches in recent history. Buy the Night 2 dvd for this alone.

God damn it was hot.

In what could have been a throwaway 10 man tag on Night 3, we got to witness "The Spot". This 3 or 4 minute spot was one of the coolest things I've been a part of at a wrestling event. I kinda don't want to spoil this for those who weren't there, but let's just say Chuck Taylor slowed things down a little bit. I would be happy if the entire Night 3 DVD trailer was made up of "The Spot".

ZACK MOTHER FUCKING SABRE JR. I have a felling there were a few people in the crowd who weren't familiar with him, but 30 seconds into him and Cole on Night 1, he made a ton of fans. I pray to Jesus and Hanukkah Harry that he is able to come back.
abouttreefitty350

Postby eastbay510 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:58 am

Man, what an incredible 3 nights of wrestling, here are some thoughts:

Negitive:

-There were a lot of annoying fans trying WAY to hard to get themselves over chanting dumb shit.
-"both these guys" and "all these guys" are now the two most annoying chants I've ever heard.

Positive:

-If you ever go to a show try the Mexican resturant on the same street as the venue, next to the Asian "massage parlor". Amazing food and it's not too pricey.
-Drew Gulak sat down and played cards with us before one of the shows.
-Bryan Meyers looked okay(much better on night 3), the rest of the new guys looked great.
-ACH is the most over guy in PWG now.
-By day 3 Zack Sabre Jr. was getting "best in the world" chants, I can definatlly understand why after the way he performed this weekend. I was completely blown away by his matches.
-Biff Busick's entrance is awesome.
-Drew Gulak comes to the ring in an epic jacket and used Rainbow in the Dark by Dio as his music.
-After one of Matt Sydal's matches he bumped into me thinking the entrance way was where I was sitting, then he gave me a hug. It was beautiful.
-Willie Macks speech had people in tears(after those two idiots got shut up).

Matches I would consider amazing were:

-Ciampa vs Elgin
-Gulak vs O'Reilly
-Zack Sabre Jr./Chuck Taylor/Kenny Omega vs Mount Rushmore
-Zack Sabre Jr. vs Adam Cole
-ACH vs Omega
-Gulak/Busick vs reDRagon
-Zack Sabre Jr. vs O'Reilly
-Brian Meyers/ACH/Chris Sabin vs Mount Rushmore
-Trevor Lee vs Gargano
-Omega vs Ricochet
-the ten man.
eastbay510

Postby Nick McNulty » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:53 pm

Night Three may have been the best show I've seen during my years of PWG. There was a Mystery Vortex element to the night, not knowing who was wrestling whom, and this led to some great variety in wrestling styles. Spoilers are on for those who are going to buy the DVDs (and if there were ever a show to buy, BOLA14 is the one).

Started a bit slow, possibly with wrestlers saving themselves for later matches. Omega and Ricochet didn't connect with their opponents and AJ/Roddy was hindered by the very rare DQ finish. But the energy and focus kicked in with the Kyle/Sabre match and continued throughout the rest of the night. Roddy's heel heat was possibly hotter than the temperature in the Legion Hall.

The six man tag was wonderful. In a match loaded with great spots, what stands out for me is ACH's crowd surfing (and dear god is he over in Reseda!) and Cole's comedy ("I would do flips if I could. But I can't."). It could have been a spot fest, but there was an energy and flow to the entire match.

For the past year, people on this board have been asking for Gulak and Busick to debut. Having only seen their matches via YouTube and DVD, I was skeptical, but this weekend truly made a believer out of me (and I've had Pennywise stuck in my head all day). Loved their intensity, work rate and passion. Truly want to see more of them in the future, if only to see Gulak's coat again.

The ten man tag is reason alone to buy the DVD. Great to see Hero bust out his kip ups and the Fosbury Flop to the outside. The opening dance off was just silly enough to work. And "The Spot"... 'Nuff said.

I won't go into too many specifics about the BOLA semis and finals, but Omega's Dragon Suplex on Ricochet on the ring apron was filthy, as was Ric's counter of the avalanche Croyt's Wrath. I haven't been as big a fan of Gargano as others, but this tourney turned that around. A great effort by Johnny Wrestling in all three of his matches on Sunday.

And Zack Sabre Jr. is already a legend. I would watch a match that's just 15 minutes of he and Kyle trying out new pinning combinations. PWG, please bring back Zack.

If you didn't get choked up during Willie Mack's speech, you simply aren't human. I started to get emotional during Joey's intro, but then Willie had tears in my eyes by the end. Best of luck to Chocolate Thunder. Give 'em hell in Orlando!

Thank you to everyone involved with this weekend. It was an amazing BOLA and I will be buying all three nights to relive it.
Nick McNulty

Postby toby80 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:58 pm

I'm beyond excited to watch these shows. If anything, they seem to have exceeded expectations. So much to talk about...

I'm delighted that Ricochet won the tournament. He'd already had an incredibly successful year, but it was great to see him have his 'PWG moment'. Richly deserved.

I'm blown away by the level to which Zack Sabre Jr. got over with the crowd. As a fellow Brit, I already knew how good he was, but still... wow!

Beside this... the 450 spike tombstone Bucks spot, Kenny Omega vs. ACH, Willie Mack's send-off, Trevor Lee's rise to stardom... endless talking points.

PWG well and truly knocked it out the park this weekend!
toby80

Postby eastbay510 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:51 pm

I know we are an entire year away, but I believe either ACH or Trevor Lee will win BOLA 2015.
eastbay510

Postby arizero » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:02 am

I know some folks are fans of this but I was wondering if anyone who was there this weekend could give a more detailed review, possibly with some snowflakes? I just want to see how all three nights compare and which ones I would want to preorder (money is limited and I'm somewhat picky so I typically only order shows that are seen as excellent). Thanks!
arizero

Postby luca brasi » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:48 am

Heard Knox broke his arm?
luca brasi

Postby loserkings007 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:28 am

Really awesome weekend. I haven't post my Night 3 Photos yet but here are my Night 1 and 2 Photos. Feel free to add on Facebook if you'd like. I'm very open when it comes to that.

Night 1: https://www.facebook.com/loserkings007/ ... 513&type=1

Night 2: https://www.facebook.com/loserkings007/ ... 513&type=1
loserkings007

Postby loserkings007 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:33 pm

loserkings007 wrote:Really awesome weekend. I haven't post my Night 3 Photos yet but here are my Night 1 and 2 Photos. Feel free to add on Facebook if you'd like. I'm very open when it comes to that.

Night 1: https://www.facebook.com/loserkings007/ ... 513&type=1

Night 2: https://www.facebook.com/loserkings007/ ... 513&type=1

Just got Night 3 Photos up! https://www.facebook.com/loserkings007/ ... loaded=419
loserkings007

Postby CreedP » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:26 pm

I'm hoping someone caught a pic of Adam Cole counting Rick Knox's pinfall attempt. It should be a motivational posted that reads "Still A Better Ref Than Justin Borden" :)

CREED
CreedP

Postby Nick McNulty » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:51 am

CreedP wrote:I'm hoping someone caught a pic of Adam Cole counting Rick Knox's pinfall attempt.

Wow. Can't believe I forgot about that sequence. So much great stuff in that six-man tag.
Nick McNulty

PreviousNext

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum