Should the Briscoes be Pulled from the BOLA Tourney?

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Briscoe Removal from BOLA Tournament?

Yes
54%
No
33%
No opinion
13%

Total votes : 24

Should the Briscoes be Pulled from the BOLA Tourney?

Postby JustJay » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:58 pm

First off, this really isn't meant to be a flaming/aggressively angry topic, I'm really curious what PWG fans think about keeping the Briscoe Brothers in the Battle of LA after no-showing their second (out of the 3 they were expected to keep) PWG dates.

Personally, I think in light of their second unexplained absence, they really shouldn't be in the Battle of LA. This is PWG's biggest event of the year, and it doesn't deserve to be hurt by tournament no-shows on no notice. The Briscoes aren't such huge names that they'd be missed if they were removed from the tournament. Speaking as a SoCal wrestling fan, I'd rather see those spots go to deserving local wrestlers who have worked incredibly hard to prove their worth to PWG. Human Tornado has provided some of the most incredible, breathtaking moments in PWG history- he deserves to be in it more than Jay or Mark Briscoe. Excalibur is one of the founders of PWG and never really gotten a real chance to shine, I'd like to see him get the shot. B-Boy came THIS close to taking the PWG strap from Joey Ryan, and could use a strong tourney showing to re-establish his contendership. Those are just three examples- heck, to use an extreme case I'd actually be happy to see Bino Gambino sneak into this thing somehow based on his gutsy performance in La Habra.

Notice I'm not saying pull the Briscoes from the SHOW, just the tournament. They're definitely a great tag team and tons of fun to see, and PWG fans have dug them bigtime when they do appear. So rather than put them in a position where they could hurt the image of the show, put them in a "side attraction" match where if they don't show up...no big deal. Arrogance vs. the Briscoes for the PWG tag titles (which we didn't get to see at ASW3) is one idea, as would maybe a sixman with B-Boy/Briscoes vs. Lost/Bosh/Joey.

Anyway, that's my opinion, that based on their 2 previous no-shows, they should maybe be placed out of the tourney and into a less high-profile spot for BOLA, while still getting some nice West Coast exposure if they DO get here this time.
JustJay

Postby WannaB » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:04 pm

Personally, I think that since they've already been booked and a lot of people are looking forward to their appearence they should remain on the card. Of course I don't doubt that PWG already had a contingency in the event that they do no-show for BOLA. They can throw Tornado, Nemesis, Bino, or some others in to the brackets if necessary. Better to keep them on and give them the chance to show up than to just write them off right now. At least if they're kept on we still have a chance of seeing them show up. That's just my 2-cents on the matter.

However... I would not book the Briscoes out here anymore (at least not for a long time) once the BOLA has passed. No showing to events is intolerable. Flight got delayed, personal emergency... yeah that's fine. Shit happens. But when it happens time & time again for the most trivial of reasons then you have to say "no more."
WannaB

Postby Exodus » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:21 pm

I have mixed feelings on this. On one hand, I love seeing The Briscoes wrestle. On the other, they have missed 3 shows (Threemendous and both All-Star Weekend 3 shows) and no good reason has been given why.

If the Kings of Wrestling (who wrestled in a fucking brutal Cage of Death match on Saturday night) can show up and give it their all, I don't see why The Briscoes can't. Give the spot to someone who actually cares about PWG, someone who makes sure to show up every month. As mentioned before, B-Boy and Human Tornado are fantastic choices. But if those two aren't considered "big-names", then how about replacing the Briscoes with someone like Alex Shelley (who I've been dying to see brought back), Bryan Danielson, or Austin Aries? The list is endless really.
Exodus

Postby noah_ther » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:19 am

I gotta disagree about the Briscoes being "big names". I know a few people who said they were coming to past shows just to see them. Besides, even though they aren't favorites to win, someone like Jay could possibly make the final 6 or even finals on an outside chance where as, no offense to these guys, but Bino, Excalibur, and Nemesis have little to no chance of making the finals. Plus the fact is, it seems like PWG needs to seriously move some DVDs to make money on BoLA since obviously the cost of talent is high for this event and something tells me that people might be more included to buy a DVD with more recognizable talent in the tournament especially if they're Briscoe fans and know they'll get two ore more singles matches from them. If they have to cut the Briscoes though, which is totally understandable considering the circumstances then someone like Danielson, Daniels, Styles, Aries, Shelley or even *shudders* Teddy Hart would be more appropriate. I love the local guys and all, and they give their 100% but with PWG obviously tryin' to make this THE tournament to watch on the Indy circuit they need to try to pack as many "big names" as they can to sell the DVD and really establish themselves as the premiere West Coast Fed. They've done a great job thus far.
noah_ther

Postby shyboy13 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:48 am

Thank you SuplexMothlyJay! I was going to start a thread just like this but opted not to because I did not feel like getting flamed for no reason by 2 or 3 faggots who have nothing better to do. Anyway, without a doubt I think they should be taken out of the BOLA. This tournament is too high profile to risk a no show.

Lets get this strait though. I like the Briscoes. I was never a big Biscoe fan until I saw them wrestle in PWG. Those guys are awesome live! I still would like to see them live but just not in the BOLA. They are good but not THAT good. Those spots can and should go to someone else.

Who should the spots go to? I would love to see a GOOD local guy in the tournament such as Scott Lost but maybe at least one of the spots should go to another big name guy. To me the BOLA is not only about SoCal. It seems like an event that is much greater that the whole indy wrestling world is paying attention to. There undoutably need to be a balance but since DVD sales and credibility are major issues here I think at least one of the spots should go to someone like Shelly, Aires, or a number of other people.

The bottom line is that the Briscoes are too big of a risk and their name values do not provide enough of a return to warrant such risk.
shyboy13

Postby shyboy13 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:42 am

Oh fuck! The Briscoes are out and replacing them are American Dragon and Dragon Kid. Also, Koslov is out and he is being replaced by Austin Aires. I am sooooo glad I already have my tickets. This is the best tournament in indy wrestling history. I seriously feel this way.

PWG! PWG! PWG!
shyboy13

Postby Exodus » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:21 pm

Awesome news! I love the changes. Even though I was kinda hoping Koslov would "break out" this year and make a name for himself like Davey Richards did at the 2005 BOLA, Aries gives the tournament more name value and is sure to give a great performance. I love how PWG really listens to the fans. That's why they're my favorite wrestling company in the World.
Exodus

Postby WannaB » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:42 pm

I amend my earlier statement. I'd rather see American Dragon & Dragon Kid any day of the week over the Briscoes.

Thank you PWG. This was the right call.
WannaB

Postby P_W_F'N_G! » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:30 pm

The Briscoes have also no-showed both IWC and JAPW shows this year. Fuck 'em.
P_W_F'N_G!

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum