Next Show Lineup(This Looks Amazing!)

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Next Show Lineup(This Looks Amazing!)

Postby SoCalAndy » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:40 pm

-PWG Championship Match: Joey Ryan vs. Chris Bosh
-PWG Tag Team Championship Match: Super Dragon and Davey Richards vs. AJ Styles and Christopher Daniels
-Kevin Steen vs. Chris Sabin
-Jimmy Yang vs. Scott Lost
-Rocky Romero and TJ Perkins vs. Los Luchas
-B-Boy vs. Scorpio Sky
-Topgun Talwar vs. Alex Koslov
-El Generico, Quicksilver, and Human Tornado vs. Disco Machine, Ronin, and Nemesis

Just saw this on the front page. This lineup looks really great. Joey/Bosh looks like it could be the sleeper MOTN. The story built up so far has been fun to watch. The tag title match has been touched on already in other threads. Steen/Sabin should be good, and I hope it's better than their CZW encounter. Yang/Lost should be fucking amazing. I'm enjoying the Pitbulls II/Luchas match. I enjoyed Rocky's lucha stuff in CMLL so this should be fun. Sky/B-Boy has been done twice before in PWG and AWS, and both times the matches where great. Topgun/Koslov should be a fun comedy match, and the six man tag will be great. I can't wait for this show.
SoCalAndy

Postby astro_zombie » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:43 pm

there seems to be a lack of excalibur in the shows lately :? ... any info anybody?
astro_zombie

Postby onlxn » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:58 pm

Cuttin' 'n pastin' from my DVDVR post...

PWG's made some real strides in attendance lately. Their 1/7 show was one of their typical low-wattage shows, with only a couple fly-ins and signatures matches... they list it as drawing 300 people, and I don't get the sense that they've ever worked their attendance figures. I don't always agree with some of their booking decision, but this is a rare well-managed indy. With their cheap venue, they've gotta be making a good profit every time out.

Anyway, onto 1/21...

PWG Championship: Joey Ryan
onlxn

Postby TigerDriver98 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:20 pm

Sky/B-Boy has been done twice before in PWG and AWS, and both times the matches where great.

Actually four times before, also in WPW and WCWA in 2003. Always a highly entertaining pairing, can't wait to see how they top themselves this time.

- Joey Ryan Vs. Chris Bosh: Great great build up to this one. Probably the match on the card I most want to see. Should be a great "live match" too as it's so unpredictable. Really no clue who wins here. As Joey is already set for title defenses in Europe and don't see Bosh coming up short in yet another title match. I'm predicting a highly dramatic contest...

- Scott Lost Vs. Jimmy Yang is something I've wanted to see since Yang was first announced for PWG. I think their styles will mix perfectly and produce a great match up. Similar to a Yang-London match perhaps?

- Steen Vs. Sabin: Seems like a good pairing. I haven't seen the CZW match, but have read mixed reviews. Hopefully they learn from whatever mistakes they may have made and get it right in PWG.

- Tag Title match: Honestly, I'm not that hyped about this. It is kinda interesting (and I'm sure it'll be quite good) but I suppose I wanted to see SD/Davey-Evans/Strong match so much that anything else would be a letdown. I much look forward to seeing Davey and AJ square off however

I dunno the randomness gets me. I'd like to see AJ and Daniels get some direction in PWG. Not just the "Hey! It's Daniels/AJ and he's fighting this guy! Why? Because he is!" thing they've had recently. But who knows... maybe they'll do something to set up the AJ vs SD Germany match here.

- Rest sounds pretty fun as well. Top Gun/Alex has me laughing already...

Also... tickets are $20 now? I wonder what made them raise the price. Not that it will keep me from going... but it may be harder to convince friends who are new to PWG to tag along at $20 a ticket.

- All that aside... another strong card here.
TigerDriver98

Postby Big Joe » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:42 pm

I thought Sabin & Steen's CZW match was excellent...the finish was Steen SOMEHOW reversing a tornado DDT into the package piledriver. Mindbreaking stuff.
Big Joe

Postby scrub » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:58 pm

TigerDriver98 wrote:As Joey is already set for title defenses in Europe

Steen had title defenses set up in Europe too. So Bosh could possibly win the strap and still wrestle in tag bouts in Europe if it had to come down to that.
Similar to a Yang-London match perhaps?

Good call on that. I wish I could get my grimey little hands on a "Lost in London" shirt. I still think it's crazy that Lost was tagging up with Paul London at the freaking Marketplace. Spanky too! Jesus fuck, what in the world. Two of Velocity's finest wrestling in front of about 60 mexicans and me.

Honestly, I'm not that hyped about this. It is kinda interesting (and I'm sure it'll be quite good) but I suppose I wanted to see SD/Davey-Evans/Strong match so much that anything else would be a letdown. I much look forward to seeing Davey and AJ square off however

On paper, it looks astounding. But I'm still feeling a little skeptical on how Daniels will do in that match. Or maybe we'll see SD bust out the dreaded CROSS BODY BLOCK he so loves to do against Daniels.

Also... tickets are $20 now? I wonder what made them raise the price. Not that it will keep me from going... but it may be harder to convince friends who are new to PWG to tag along at $20 a ticket.

Ahhh, wow. I didn't catch the price raise. A $20 dollar ticket could stunt the PWG crowd growth.
scrub

Postby shyboy13 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:40 am

TigerDriver98 wrote:Also... tickets are $20 now? I wonder what made them raise the price. Not that it will keep me from going... but it may be harder to convince friends who are new to PWG to tag along at $20 a ticket.

I can only speculate since I am not an "insider" like so many of you that the rise in ticket price is only temporary so as to help finance the European tour. Remember they held events in Frank & Sons so that they could save up money for All Star Weekend? Hopefully this is what they are doing.

As a customer, I hate price increases. I know people will hate me for stating the obvious but PWG is not exempt from customers' innate distaste for paying a higher price. Looking at it from their point of view it MAY make sense though. Assuming attendance growth remains constant, a 25% increase in ticket prices coupled with less than 25% drop in attendance is a good business move. Profit will be higher because the demand for the product is relatively inelastic in this scenario. Still, the assumption of constant growth is probably not a reasonable one in this case. It is my opinion that PWG is going through a period of healthy growth. If a price increase somehow alters this growth then it is possible that a ticket price increase will be detrimental in the long run. Hopefully they make the right decision because I really do love PWG.
shyboy13

Postby WannaB » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:22 pm

Don't forget that ticket prices in the past have been higher than $15. Some events were $18 and I recall a flyer I have somewhere that advertises a $20 price.

You also have to keep in mind that its good business. The last year saw some really steady increases in fan attendance. There are about 200 people who show up to each and every show, and about 100 people who are swings. They'll show up if the card looks really good. PLUS, there are the occasional, casual fans who come by word of mouth, or whatever.

The numbers keep going higher.

Frankly, for the quality of the shows I have no problem paying $20. It's better than paying $45 to sit in nosebleed seats for a WWE show. Hell! $100 for nosebleed to WM21!? That was one of the worst WrestleMania's ever and $30 got me twice the amount of wrestling, and ten times the quality during ASW1.

$20 is still damn reasonable.
WannaB

Postby onlxn » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm

WannaB wrote:$20 is still damn reasonable.

I'd agree. And I think it's a smart move. They're not saying that prices will be $20 or more for all time -- they're experimenting with higher prices to see how they affect attendance, and can always adjust them back if it really drives people away. While I'd obviously like to pay as little as possible, I find a night of PWG to be worth at least $20 in entertainment value, so I doubt it'll ever make a big difference in my decision-making.

I kinda get the sense that the 'G has been pretty profitable lately, and I'm wondering what they're planning on doing with the extra money (other than simply keeping it, which would certainly be reasonable). More trips? Fancier tag belts? Some sort of long-term plans to purchase a venue or something? Dunno. But it's a really well-run company, and a rare wrestling company that seems to be on solid financial ground.
onlxn

Postby Slappy » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:29 pm

I heard Chris Bosh has become somewhat of a Diva. They needed to hire assistants to pick out the blue M and M', the extra $5 is helping to employ them.

At the end of the day it
Slappy

Postby Peace » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:41 pm

This show looks stacked. I love all of the matches except the Topgun/Klosov and the six man. Topgun hasn't seen much one on one action so I dunno how he'll fare in this one. But I have faith.

The six man doesn't look all that great on both ends. You got three high-flyers vs three guys who dont much high flying. Gonna be fun tho, as the PWG six mans always are.

And I can't wait to see Steen kill Sabin.
Peace

Postby onlxn » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:41 pm

I love all of the matches except the Topgun/Klosov and the six man. Topgun hasn't seen much one on one action so I dunno how he'll fare in this one.

Well, Topgun's not a great worker. But he's a fun undercard comedy guy, and Koslov's good at that too, as well as being talented enough to carry. Of all the guys on the roster for Topgun to have a singles match with, Koslov would be one of my first choices.

The six man doesn't look all that great on both ends. You got three high-flyers vs three guys who dont much high flying.

But that's perfect -- you've got the flying tecnicos and the catching rudos. Much better dynamic for a match than everybody flying around willy-nilly.

I think this'll be much better than their usual opener-type match. Nemesis is skilled at lucha, and Disco and Ronin are Rev Pro vets -- all three faces can fly and engage the crowd. It's the kind of match that Topgun wouldn't fit in, because the lucha flying stuff would have to slow down every time he came in the ring. Here, you could see everybody being on the same page and keeping it moving.

And I can't wait to see Steen kill Sabin.

That's one of the tougher matches to pick a winner in. Do they build up the old champ again or push Sabin farther towards a title shot? Neither guy can really afford a loss right now, but I'd guess Steen takes it.
onlxn

Postby SoCalAndy » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:45 pm

Re: Ticket Prices
I see no problems with it. Five bucks isn't going to make or break my pocket, and I'm sure it wont for many other PWG fans. On a show with a former WWE wrestler, two of TNA's top stars, several fly ins, a tour of Europe coming up and all that I'm not really shocked at the rise in price. This show is an ASW caliber type card, and if the 100 people who come out once in awhile for those bigger shows had no problem paying 20 bucks for one night of wrestling I don't think there will be a problem. PWG wouldn't raise their prices for no reason, so I'm sure they're planning something huge.

Prices in other promotions like ROH are in the 25-30 dollar range just for the first two rows and I heard some CZW events cost 20 bucks for GA(Maybe Big Joe or another CZW regular can confirm this). I think 20 bucks for PWG is a lot better than paying 30 bucks to sit front row at ROH or 20 bucks to sit in the bleachers at CZW.

Hell! $100 for nosebleed to WM21!? That was one of the worst WrestleMania's ever.

If you're trying to say Mania 21 was one of the worst Mania's ever, than you're an idiot. But that's another debate for another thread.
SoCalAndy

Postby Big Joe » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:22 pm

CZW GA tickets are $20. Not that anyone minds, because the CZW Arena has bleachers, so your view isn't obstructed. I'm a loser and pay for $35 front row tickets. Meh.
Big Joe

Postby shyboy13 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:59 am

shyboy13 wrote:...Assuming attendance growth remains constant, a 25% increase in ticket prices coupled with less than 25% drop in attendance is a good business move. Profit will be higher because the demand for the product is relatively inelastic in this scenario...

Correction, I should have said a 33.33% increase. Still, the logic remains the same.
shyboy13

Postby Lord Akiyama » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:12 am

Any one know when the press release and the show's name will be posted? :lol:
Lord Akiyama

Postby WannaB » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:17 pm

A good debate indeed Andy.

As far as storylines go. Yes, it was a good WrestleMania. As far as the overall quality of wrestling goes...

It didn't seem up to par with what they were capable of.

But yes, for later.
WannaB

Postby Top_Gun_Mark_2 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:23 pm

This is from Scott's "Myspace" blog.

So I have another very bad injury, this time to my shoulder/rotator. During my match at Big Pro on Saturday I took a bad bump and came down with all my weight on my right shoulder. Now, not many know this but when I was a teenager I'm almost 100% sure I broke the rotator in my right shoulder. One day, me and my friends decided to get drunk, then ride our bikes, roller blades and skateboards down to the local jack-in-the-box to cure our drunken hunger. Right before we got there, we ran into this girl and so we started talking to her. I was giving her my boyish charm when all of a sudden I trip over this huge crack in the ground, go flying through the air and coming crash down with all my weight on my right shoulder. Now, the standard is when you're drunk, you tend to not feel as much as, if anything at all. But this was the exception. Right away I knew it was bad and that it'd be something that I'd have to deal with later on in life and that later on was this past saturday. As soon as I hit the mat, I knew I was in trouble again and it couldn't have come at the worst time. I have to wrestle Jimmy Yang on Saturday, which is pretty close to, if not the biggest match I've ever had. Next to wrestling Chris Daniels that is... Actually, I'm not really sure which is the bigger match. On top of that, I'm going to Europe in a months time and I'll be having a couple of touch matches while there. Good thing they're tags, but I still would have liked to be at 100%. Seems like I haven't been at that for a long time now... I guess by Friday, we'll see how I'm feeling. Man, I'd hate to miss out on my match with Yang. Been waiting for that for awhile...

I hope his shoulder is okay for the weekend but if not, I'd like to see Koslov vs Yang booked.
Top_Gun_Mark_2

Postby Mark of the Dragon » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:19 am

onlxn wrote:
WannaB wrote:$20 is still damn reasonable.

I'd agree. And I think it's a smart move. They're not saying that prices will be $20 or more for all time -- they're experimenting with higher prices to see how they affect attendance, and can always adjust them back if it really drives people away. While I'd obviously like to pay as little as possible, I find a night of PWG to be worth at least $20 in entertainment value, so I doubt it'll ever make a big difference in my decision-making.

I kinda get the sense that the 'G has been pretty profitable lately, and I'm wondering what they're planning on doing with the extra money (other than simply keeping it, which would certainly be reasonable). More trips? Fancier tag belts? Some sort of long-term plans to purchase a venue or something? Dunno. But it's a really well-run company, and a rare wrestling company that seems to be on solid financial ground.

$20 bucks for 4 to 4 1/2 hrs. of the Best Wrestling going on in SoCal seems more then fair to me. I don't know if the Big G's are getting rich tho, With the exception of the last card they useually fly in at least 5 guys, 4 if Excalibur pays his own airfare?. on top of that they have to pay all the wrestlers at the end of the night. An i'm sure a few of them big namers aren't exactly cheap. not to mention they have to pay for the JCC
and the chairs,and the Blinding Lights (Do they own that ring? if not theres another expence) I'm sure they make somewhat of a profit but not as much as people might think. I'd Love to see PWG grow to it's full potenial as the Best Damn Wrestling Promotion there is. They seem to be on a good an steady start so far. It's funny to think that PWG is well run considering the unholy 6 that run it, God I'd love to sit in on one of there Meetings. It must be something akin to Animal House meets the WWE..
Mark of the Dragon

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum