Reflecting on 2016 and moving into 2017

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Reflecting on 2016 and moving into 2017

Postby eastbay510 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:08 pm

So this has been a crazy year, between deaths, politics, and all the other craziness. However as far as wrestling goes, 2016 has been unbelievable, insane, and just completely unpredictable. From Nakamura and former PWG champ AJ Styles leaving NJPW and heading to WWE, Kevin Steen becoming WWE Champ, NJPW rebuilding, the CWC, Evolve having a monster year and working with the WWE, Matt Riddle becoming one of the top stars on the indys, Europe continuing to boom with promotions like Fight Club Pro and Ireland's Over The Top becoming must see shows, to the massive number of talent that has broken out, and just the overall quality across several promotions across multiple continents. As far as wrestling, 2016 has been a renaissance.

As far as PWG goes what are your favorite memories of 2016? What didn't you like? And looking forward to 2017 what do you want to see? Hopes? Expectations? Fears? Debuts? Anybody you want to leave? Returns?

If 2016 is any indication we are in for a spectacular 2017 as far as wrestling is concerned.
eastbay510

Re: Reflecting on 2016 and moving into 2017

Postby El Asian » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:52 pm

For wrestling it has been interesting but to answer some of the questions, memory that sticks out so far is probably Roderick's farewell or the Thumb in the Butt train. What I didn't like is it feels there has been less shows each year and also the price increase as well as of late. What I like to see next year for PWG is run more shows, I say find possible backup venues in case something happens to the Legion Hall becomes unavailable but what I hope to see is PWG work a deal with NJPW to bring in more guys from there and also work a deal with Dragon Gate to bring in guys from there as well. As for returns, I would like to see ACH, B-Boy, Scoprio Sky, Rocky Romero, Willie Mack, Timothy Thatcher, Angelico, and Jack Evans in PWG again, Drew Galloway as well but I would assume he'll return soon anyways.
El Asian

Postby pwggrodd » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:36 pm

I'm with you on all those names. Also hoping for DDT4's return, and more tag matches in general. Maybe a show once a month, instead of every 6 -8 weeks. Not likely though. Since the Beaver Boys popped up in ROH recently, I'd like to see them get another chance. Lio Rush and Jonathan Gresham should get a look too. Mystery Vortex is coming up, maybe some of this will happen.
pwggrodd

Postby eastbay510 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:44 pm

I'm really looking forward to this Style Battle Tournament that Gabe/Floslam are putting on. If I'm not mistaken there are 64 guys in this thing right? This could really be a game changer and give exposure to a lot of great unknown talent, who knows, mabey a few of them will pop up in PWG, Dezmond Xavier is already announced.

Also I really want to see Travis Banks and Marius Al-Ani in BOLA next year. If you look at both guys in Progress and wXw respectively they are both on the verge of huge breakouts(and I have facts, not just my theory). I honestly expect them to be the two biggest breakout Euro(or Kiwi in Banks's case) wrestlers of 2017.

I still say I would love to see women's wrestling, and I know I'm not alone, but even after NXT it never happened, and with the scene being absolutly gutted by the WWE I don't expect that to happen. Although I am still hoping(unrealistically) for Kairi Hojo vs Io Shirai before they go to Florida since Excalibur loves Hojo.

One more thing I am looking foward to is seeing much more Matt Riddle. I gotta believe he is either gonna have a classic PWG match, have a BOLA run, or some gold in 2017.
eastbay510

Postby ShadowMaster » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:08 am

Man 2016 felt like a wild year for PWG , with debuts with the likes of Cody Rhodes , Matt Riddle , Jeff Cobb , Dalton Castle , and Kamaitachi gave PWG some new faces it was also the year we lost Mike Bailey , Tommy End ,Tommaso Ciampa and Gargano and I guess Evil Uno ( pending on his Visa Issue ). We saw less of Tag Team wrestling in 2016 with Beaver Boys , Best Friends , Monster Mafia , Team Tremendous , Unbreakable F'n Machines ( which I never ever wanna see Michael Elgin or Brian Cage in a PWG ring for a long long time ) not even getting a match in 2016. Speaking of not wanting to see Cage or Elgin back in a PWG ring i'll put Drew Galloway ,John Hennigan and Sami Callahan on the short list of guys I wouldn't miss in 2017. I believe this could be a huge year for Jeff Cobb as well as Matt Riddle as both men have skyrocketed on the indie scene this past year. Really looking forward to Mystery Vortex as I think it will be a huge benchmark going into 2017 for PWG.
ShadowMaster

Postby eastbay510 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:24 am

ShadowMaster wrote:Man 2016 felt like a wild year for PWG , with debuts with the likes of Cody Rhodes , Matt Riddle , Jeff Cobb , Dalton Castle , and Kamaitachi gave PWG some new faces it was also the year we lost Mike Bailey , Tommy End ,Tommaso Ciampa and Gargano and I guess Evil Uno ( pending on his Visa Issue ). We saw less of Tag Team wrestling in 2016 with Beaver Boys , Best Friends , Monster Mafia , Team Tremendous , Unbreakable F'n Machines ( which I never ever wanna see Michael Elgin or Brian Cage in a PWG ring for a long long time ) not even getting a match in 2016. Speaking of not wanting to see Cage or Elgin back in a PWG ring i'll put Drew Galloway ,John Hennigan and Sami Callahan on the short list of guys I wouldn't miss in 2017. I believe this could be a huge year for Jeff Cobb as well as Matt Riddle as both men have skyrocketed on the indie scene this past year. Really looking forward to Mystery Vortex as I think it will be a huge benchmark going into 2017 for PWG.

I disagree about Galloway, I really like him personally, everyone else I agree with. I would give my left arm to never see Callihan in a PWG ring again to be honest. I stopped watching AAW specifically because Sami, Jessicka Havok, and Dave Crist are featured so heavily. Another guy I wish would go away is Andrew Everett, as I don't believe he does anything particularly well (kinda like Adam Cole, but everyone loves Cole for reasons I don't understand).
eastbay510

Postby El Asian » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:51 am

While I enjoy Callihan, Everett, and Cage, I can see the issue on why people may have soured on them, I was kinda hoping maybe Everett sticks around and paired with Lee as a heel tag team while PWG could bring back Chris Dickinson and pair him with Callihan while Cage and Hennigan can be a team as well. I do agree with eastbay regarding Galloway, I think he's been great in PWG whenever he's booked. However, I don't agree with PWG to stop bringing in Michael Elgin, even though Elgin has been on and off due to his his NJPW schedule, when he is available, he still puts great matches and still has potential to face the latest crop of guys coming in, so I feel Elgin should be brought back whenever he is available.

Also, forgot to mention them but I also want to see the return of Chris Sabin and Alex Shelley soon, plus Kenny Omega if he ever is available. Maybe bring back Eddie Edwards and the Briscoes for special appearances if possible.

As for debuts for 2017, I definitely agree with Dezmond Xavier, Lio Rush, and Jonathan Gresham be brought. As far as indie guys in North America goes, the following guys I would like to see in PWG in 2017: Keith Lee, Joey Janela, Tracy Williams, Matt Tremont, Tim Donst, Fred Yehi, Donovan Dijak, War Machine, Dragon Lee, Flamita, Peter Kaasa, Darby Allin and Tabarnak de Team. As far as indie guys from Europe goes though, my hopes would be Jimmy Havoc, Big Van Walter, Flash Morgan Webster, London Riots, Joe Coffey, and Joe Hendry. Now as far as Io Shirai and Kairi Hojo, good news is that both rejected WWE offers and are staying with Stardom for the time being to build the company further, so maybe there's still time for PWG to bring them in.

As for elsewhere in wrestling, hope Floslam works out for the best, also gotta recommend Powerbomb.tv coming up, another subscription service for indies but has gotten I would say smaller indies involved and also DDT has their own steam service coming similar to NJPW World.
El Asian

Postby pwggrodd » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:10 am

Elgin's actually really been good in 2016, so I don't get not wanting him around. Doesn't matter anyway; between NJPW and running his own promotion in the Illinois side of St. Louis next year, I doubt he'll ever be available. I'd like to see the Tabarnak de Team, but I noticed they just kinda stopped showing up in the U.S. this year. With what happened with Speedball and Josh Alexander, I'm willing to bet it's yet another border issue. Love most of the names suggested here. And considering that, according to various reports, the WWE's going to be going on another signing binge in the first 3 months of 2017, PWG really needs to start bringing in a bunch of new talents soon, just to see who works and who doesn't.
pwggrodd

Postby eastbay510 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:14 pm

I can't imagine PWG not dipping back into the European talent pool. Expecially with three European promotions running WrestleMania weekend, all eyes will be on European wrestling. I'm really intrested to see both the wXw 16 Carat Gold in March, and the Progress Super Strong Style 16 in May, especially since they have a working relationship and Progress has started to fly in mainland Euro guys. I really think that may be a telling sign as to who may be brought in for BOLA.

As for guys I expect WWE to sign, I have a feeling Dunne dosent finish 2017 still on the indys, same with Ricochet. To be honest I want WWE to keep signing guys. The revolving door of talent is always fun and good for everyone.
eastbay510

Postby El Asian » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:01 pm

pwggrodd wrote:Elgin's actually really been good in 2016, so I don't get not wanting him around. Doesn't matter anyway; between NJPW and running his own promotion in the Illinois side of St. Louis next year, I doubt he'll ever be available. I'd like to see the Tabarnak de Team, but I noticed they just kinda stopped showing up in the U.S. this year. With what happened with Speedball and Josh Alexander, I'm willing to bet it's yet another border issue. Love most of the names suggested here. And considering that, according to various reports, the WWE's going to be going on another signing binge in the first 3 months of 2017, PWG really needs to start bringing in a bunch of new talents soon, just to see who works and who doesn't.

Yeah, Elgin's schedule might be unclear with him in between NJPW and running his own company but if he is available, I'm sure PWG can work something out, then again, I thought the same thing regarding Kenny Omega. Yeah, I kinda figured with Tabarnak de Team, I would have thought we'd see them this year and last US indie they did was Beyond in May, really wonder how the hell guys from Canada have become harder to book these days compared to guys from Mexico or Europe.

eastbay510 wrote:As for guys I expect WWE to sign, I have a feeling Dunne dosent finish 2017 still on the indys, same with Ricochet. To be honest I want WWE to keep signing guys. The revolving door of talent is always fun and good for everyone.

I agree, I think its fun when WWE does sign someone because its always nice to see guys make it there though whether they succeed or not is another question but yeah, Dunne is someone I wouldn't be surprised to get signed as well as Ricochet, who has been pretty much done everything in PWG except winning a title.

I know I keep mentioning I want to see PWG bring in guys from Japan but I feel I should specify who I would hope to see in PWG one day. For NJPW, the obvious ones would be Hiroshi Tanahashi, Kazuchika Okada with Gedo, KUSHIDA, Tetsuya Naito, Katsuyori Shibata, Sanada, Tomoaki Honma, Yuji Nagata, Tomohiro Ishii, or Hirooki Goto as well as Hiromu Takahashi and Liger returning, granted PWG would most likely get 3 of those guys for an All Star Weekend and that be fine really. And I hope PWG rekindles their old relationship with Dragon Gate with bringing back CIMA, YAMATO, Shingo Takagi, Naruki Doi, Masato Yoshino, Jimmy Susumu, Jimmy Kagetora, Genki Horiguchi, Masaaki Mochizuki, BxB Hulk, and Dragon Kid while also bringing in guys like Eita, Big R Shimizu, T-Hawk, El Lindaman, and Kotoka. Now outside of those 2 companies, the big obvious ones would be Daisuke Sekimoto, Yuji Okabayashi, and Kota Ibushi, the latter probably not signing with WWE quite from the looks of it, but there are some guys in DDT and BJW that I would like to see get a shot in PWG as well plus one I would really hope to see but probably won't happen would be Minoru Suzuki.
El Asian

Postby pwggrodd » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:45 pm

Kota Ibushi's too busy crashing his bicycle off a ramp while trying to run another wrestler down and taking idiotic head bumps to sign. Gotta love 'em. I'd love to see him show up, but it didn't turn out too well the last time he got scheduled for a PWG appearance.
pwggrodd

Postby El Asian » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:16 pm

pwggrodd wrote:Kota Ibushi's too busy crashing his bicycle off a ramp while trying to run another wrestler down and taking idiotic head bumps to sign. Gotta love 'em. I'd love to see him show up, but it didn't turn out too well the last time he got scheduled for a PWG appearance.

That was years ago and at this point, Ibushi has nearly wrestled every company in the US besides PWG, its due time to get him to appear in PWG at some point.

Anyways, with Candice back though who knows how long, this brings me to something possible for PWG in 2017 but bring in more female wrestlers, granted this might be harder with WWE going after nearly every female wrestler as of late including Candice but some possibilities for PWG to bring in or back include Io Shirai, Kairi Hojo, Mayu Iwatani, Sexy Star, Taya, Cheereader Melissa, Christina Von Eerie, Shayna Baszler, and Lufisto at the very least
El Asian

Postby pwggrodd » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:07 pm

Let's face it-Ibushi/Sabre was the CWC final everyone wanted and, due to lack of contracts, nobody got, so if he came in, that's what I'd want to see. As far as the women go, I've given up on that ever happening in PWG. SD just doesn't want to do it. And I know I already mentioned it in another thread, but I'm hoping 2017 has more than 11 tag matches for the whole year. The multiple shows with nothing but singles matches bugged me.
pwggrodd

Postby Luchaundead » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:11 am

pwggrodd wrote:Let's face it-Ibushi/Sabre was the CWC final everyone wanted and, due to lack of contracts, nobody got, so if he came in, that's what I'd want to see. As far as the women go, I've given up on that ever happening in PWG. SD just doesn't want to do it. And I know I already mentioned it in another thread, but I'm hoping 2017 has more than 11 tag matches for the whole year. The multiple shows with nothing but singles matches bugged me.

Mystery Vortex already bucks the trend as it actually had 2 tag team matches.
Luchaundead

Postby pwggrodd » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:04 pm

Yeah, let's hope that continues!
pwggrodd

Postby El Asian » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:50 am

pwggrodd wrote:Let's face it-Ibushi/Sabre was the CWC final everyone wanted and, due to lack of contracts, nobody got, so if he came in, that's what I'd want to see. As far as the women go, I've given up on that ever happening in PWG. SD just doesn't want to do it. And I know I already mentioned it in another thread, but I'm hoping 2017 has more than 11 tag matches for the whole year. The multiple shows with nothing but singles matches bugged me.

I recalled another company tried to book Ibushi vs. Sabre years before, I want to say either Chikara or wXw in Germany. As for more women in PWG, I'm sure PWG can find some good ones to book if Dragon wanted to. As for tag matches, I agree, hopefully more tag matches now as we are in 2017, even if the Young Bucks aren't available.

And speaking of tag matches, something I would like to see back in PWG for 2017 is the return of the random opening multi-person tag matches featuring local guys, mostly to give rising local guys a place to truly showcase and because I feel PWG shows are ending too short now and would like to see another match added on the cards to open the shows.
El Asian

Postby pwggrodd » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:37 am

Yeah, the old six-man spotfests coming back would be pretty awesome. A lot of those matches had guys who were looking to impress-in other words, willing to go crazy out there to get noticed.
pwggrodd

Postby El Asian » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:09 pm

pwggrodd wrote:Yeah, the old six-man spotfests coming back would be pretty awesome. A lot of those matches had guys who were looking to impress-in other words, willing to go crazy out there to get noticed.

Yeah, hence why I think it be nice to bring it back plus I really prefer shows to have 8 matches over 7 instead, wouldn't hurt the show add the 6man local guys to open the show. Now as to who would they book, I say bring in "Uptown" Andy Brown, Adrian Quest, Mike Camden, Eli Everfly, Tyler Bateman, and Douglas James to debut altogether in a 6 man tag match to have them showcase and see if they could bring them back for future appearances.
El Asian

Postby pwggrodd » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:10 am

Adrian Quest is REALLY good. There's a lot of good local talent in California that could use the boost a crazy 6-man would give them. I agree that I'd like to see more 8 match cards, too.
pwggrodd

Postby Luchaundead » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:00 am

El Asian wrote:
pwggrodd wrote:Yeah, the old six-man spotfests coming back would be pretty awesome. A lot of those matches had guys who were looking to impress-in other words, willing to go crazy out there to get noticed.

Yeah, hence why I think it be nice to bring it back plus I really prefer shows to have 8 matches over 7 instead, wouldn't hurt the show add the 6man local guys to open the show. Now as to who would they book, I say bring in "Uptown" Andy Brown, Adrian Quest, Mike Camden, Eli Everfly, Tyler Bateman, and Douglas James to debut altogether in a 6 man tag match to have them showcase and see if they could bring them back for future appearances.

I would really love to see Bateman getting a shot in PWG he really reminds me of a young Chris Hero and I don't think he's going to ever really tap his full potential if he doesn't start to work higher showcase promotions against wrestlers that are noticeably better than him
Luchaundead

Next

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum