All Star Weekend 13

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

All Star Weekend 13

Postby eastbay510 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:39 pm

Very exciting news, and so glad we didn't hace to wait for months, haha. I just hope the Sami Callihan circle jerk crew(OI4K, Strickland, Cade) isn't booked. I'm sure we are getting Chuck/Ricochet, and I'm hoping for WALTER/Rock.
eastbay510

Re: All Star Weekend 13

Postby LBOinyamouf4sho » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:32 pm

i'd rather not see OI4k but sami, strickland, cade & desmond xavier are all fine with me.
LBOinyamouf4sho

Postby eastbay510 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:18 pm

Yeah, I should have excluded, Dez. That dude is awesome. I was not impressed with Cade last time, seemed generic, and Strickland has not had good matches.
eastbay510

Postby El Asian » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:02 pm

Even though I have no problem with Cade, he wasn't a guy I never recalled people had hopes or expected to see in PWG, I would expect Jason Kincaid to get booked by PWG before Jason Cade but as much as I don't mind Callihan and his crew getting booked, I do see the issue and wouldn't mind an entire year without them being booked with the exceptions of Xavier and maybe Strickland can still around still but as for Cade, he's okay but at this point, I feel PWG should have given Cade's spot in PWG to local guys like Eli Everfly, Adrian Quest, Andy Brown, or Brody King instead.

Anyways, something I hope PWG considers and its not regarding talent since I have good faith PWG will have something special for All Star Weekend but my request is something I can't believe nobody has ever suggested for tickets but instead of having tickets for both nights go on sale for 1 night, have tickets to each night go on sale seperates days like night 1 goes on sale for 1 day while night 2 goes on sale on a different night, I think it could make things easier for people to buy tickets and something that should have suggested for BOLA in hindsight. Anyways PWG could sell them a week apart or day apart, I just feel its easier if there were seperate days for fans to buy tickets for a different night instead of everyone trying crash the servers to get both nights in 1 minute
El Asian

Postby LBOinyamouf4sho » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:39 am

El Asian wrote:Even though I have no problem with Cade, he wasn't a guy I never recalled people had hopes or expected to see in PWG, I would expect Jason Kincaid to get booked by PWG before Jason Cade but as much as I don't mind Callihan and his crew getting booked, I do see the issue and wouldn't mind an entire year without them being booked with the exceptions of Xavier and maybe Strickland can still around still but as for Cade, he's okay but at this point, I feel PWG should have given Cade's spot in PWG to local guys like Eli Everfly, Adrian Quest, Andy Brown, or Brody King instead.

as much as i agree with that, i've come to accept it's not something that's going to happen. which is a shame because i think PWG could make stars and it would be a fun thing to see again but that's just not their deal these days.

anyways i'm sure ASW won't disappoint and hopefully they have some nice surprises.
LBOinyamouf4sho

Postby eastbay510 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:17 pm

LBOinyamouf4sho wrote:
El Asian wrote:Even though I have no problem with Cade, he wasn't a guy I never recalled people had hopes or expected to see in PWG, I would expect Jason Kincaid to get booked by PWG before Jason Cade but as much as I don't mind Callihan and his crew getting booked, I do see the issue and wouldn't mind an entire year without them being booked with the exceptions of Xavier and maybe Strickland can still around still but as for Cade, he's okay but at this point, I feel PWG should have given Cade's spot in PWG to local guys like Eli Everfly, Adrian Quest, Andy Brown, or Brody King instead.

as much as i agree with that, i've come to accept it's not something that's going to happen. which is a shame because i think PWG could make stars and it would be a fun thing to see again but that's just not their deal these days.

anyways i'm sure ASW won't disappoint and hopefully they have some nice surprises.

Why don't these locals leave California and try to get booked in other places and wrestle the best talent in the states or abroad? Almost everybody who is sucessful in wrestling are people who travel. I don't get it man. There is a SoCal local named Dickey Mayer who is working in Kaientai Dojo in Japan and the UK in October. Is he the best California local? No clue, but he is making the effort the other California locals won't/don't. He is definitely someone I have my eye on.
eastbay510

Postby pwggrodd » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:25 pm

Match announcements-Night One-Adam Brooks debuts against Mark Haskins, Joey Janela vs. Trevor Lee, Jeff Cobb vs. Jonah Rock, Flash Morgan Webster vs. Travis Banks, Keith Lee vs. Matt Riddle, Ricochet vs. WALTER, and Fenix vs. Sammy Guevara vs. Rey Horus vs. Flamita. Night Two-Rey Horus vs. Matt Sydal, Adam Brooks vs. Jonah Rock, Travis Banks vs. Trent?, Joey Janela vs. Marty Scurll, Flash Morgan Webster and Mark Haskins vs. The Young Bucks, Zack Sabre Jr. vs. WALTER, and Chuck Taylor defending the title against Ricochet. Good stuff here, wasn't expecting the BOLA debuts to be brought back so quickly. Wasn't expecting Adam Brooks to get a shot for another year or so, so good for him. That four way sounds great, and ZSJ vs. WALTER is great every time it's done.
pwggrodd

Postby SoCalAndy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:15 am

Personally I wish PWG would book locals, but I'm not gonna cry when they don't. I will say they should look into Brody King more. He's awesome and better than most guys PWG brings in . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWMAZD6cZcw

With that said, I just want to come here and defend my scene...

eastbay510 wrote:Why don't these locals leave California and try to get booked in other places and wrestle the best talent in the states or abroad? Almost everybody who is sucessful in wrestling are people who travel. I don't get it man.

The part in bold pretty much sums it up when it comes to your opinions on guys in the Southern California scene. It's funny too, since you always hype up overrated Australian and European guys who are not only bland, but haven't done much outside of their home territories like the local guys you're trying to shit on. Adrian Quest worked Arena Mexico this year, as well as Eli, who is also a regular in The Crash down in Mexico. Not only that, but Eli has traveled more to perform than the majority of PWG's roster. Brody King is still young but has been getting bookings in WrestleCircus and Defy in the Northwest. I could go on, but my point is just because they aren't in some internet darling promotion like PROGRESS doesn't mean they aren't worthy of being in PWG.

Maybe instead of following what's popular like some snobbish wrestling hipster, you should try doing research on some of the guys mentioned instead of writing them off.

eastbay510 wrote:There is a SoCal local named Dickey Mayer who is working in Kaientai Dojo in Japan and the UK in October. Is he the best California local? No clue, but he is making the effort the other California locals won't/don't. He is definitely someone I have my eye on.

How do you know what guys are and aren't putting in an effort to become successful? You don't know what is going on here, and you have no clue what the landscape of this scene has been like over the last 10 years. Just because one guy is working in places you follow doesn't mean nobody else here is busting their asses to put on killer matches. Seriously, stop being ignorant.
SoCalAndy

Postby eastbay510 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:06 pm

Fair enough. That's actually a lot of good points. I'll admit when I'm wrong. To be fair I am lumping those guys with the Johnny Yumas or Dino Winwoods of the world who come off on Twitter as bitter and entitled, and I 100% will stand by that statement. Mabey I'm wrong to lump the locals now to the locals of old, like Yuma, Ryan Taylor, Famous B, Chris Kadilak, ect. Guys who clearly are not up to the level that PWG is at now. I have seen plenty of local shows over the last 10 years(who has actually broken out? O ly a few really), it has been really bad in the past, and if it's improved reciently I will eat crow and be the first to admit I'm wrong.

That being said I am definitely not ever gonna stop hyping up the UK and Aussie scenes until they dry up, expecially UK. Guys in the UK are great because they are constantly working top guys all over the world, or in the locker room with them, they don't need to travel because top talent travels to them. They consistently have great matches on PWG shows, and I know I am not the only one who loves the European guys, Progress almost tripled Evolves attendance in NY, Europe is the best scene going, and I'm gonna keep hyping them up.
eastbay510

Postby eastbay510 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:39 am

Well I made myself look like an asshole yesterday. No more bashing the locals(unless they have bad matches in PWG, AKA matches I've actually seen. if they have good ones I'll be the first to say it. Not fair to judge new locals to old ones, mabey the scene is way hotter than when I last watched.). I'm still gonna keep hyping the UK/Aussie guys though, haha.
eastbay510

Postby SoCalAndy » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:17 am

You can like/hype whoever and whatever you want. That’s your shit, not mine. Fact is what you like isn’t as great as your think, but again you like what you like. Progress can draw huge crowds, but that me it doesn’t mean shit. The Big Bang Theory is a terrible show but gets more viewers than a great show like Rick and Morty, which gets way less viewers. In SoCal, PCW outdraws PWG but they’re not putting on better shows. As far as these guys you talk up working bigger names doesn’t mean much either. There are plenty of terrible workers in this world who work top talent because someone is willing to pay their booking fees. Having the best matches is a subjective thing, but the best PWG matches I’ve seen lately were by the Bucks, Cobb, Chuck Taylor, Lucha guys, and Ricochet. I really don’t care to go on about this debate about what you personally like. If you enjoy that shit, more power to you. I don’t buy into the hype everyone gives the European and Australian scene. Just don't be ignorant.

As far as SoCal, which is why I’m here, this area has its issues. From promoters not doing enough to get notoriety for their workers, shitty workers getting hyped up by their friends, entitled people in the business, and an anti-PWG sentiment that exists in the minds of a few in the scene. Right now SoCal is rebuilding itself after it was being destroyed by the NWA and Adam Pearce 12 years ago. I’ll be the first to say that this scene produced garbage after Rev Pro closed in 2004. There is no harsher critic of the SoCal scene than me, but now it is turning around and booming with so many prospects.

Andrew Yuma (who supposedly asked to stop being booked on PWG according to some people I’ve talked to) and Bob Winwood are bitter and whiny bitches. They always have been. They don’t represent the scene though. They don’t speak for the workers. They don’t speak for anyone but themselves and a few of their buddies. Also, Ryan Taylor is a tremendous talent who has gotten a lot better. Aside from needing more personality, he is as good as Zack Sabre, Jr.. and worlds better than Mark Haskins and Marty Scurll. I stopped watching wrestling when Famous B was in PWG, but he was young in his career when he was there. To judge him on that is unfair.

Again, I believe the SoCal scene is better. This current crop of SoCal talent aren’t like Bino Gambino or Malachi Jackson. Guys like Eli Everfly, Adrian Quest, Brody King, Jake Atlas, True Grit of Jesse James and Hoss Hogg, Ray Rosas, Tito Escondido, Andy Brown, Mike Camden, and Douglas James (who is under contract to PCW for a few months) are juts a few guys who would do well in PWG. In a year or two,Lucas Riley and Matt Vandergriff (who has had two matches so far) are showing tons of potential to be stars. So yeah, try not to judge the SoCal scene based on limited knowledge. There's great shit being built here. I implore everyone to seek out SoCal stuff.

Okay I'm done here now.
SoCalAndy

Postby shyboy13 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:41 pm

SoCalAndy wrote:
Right now SoCal is rebuilding itself after it was being destroyed by the NWA and Adam Pearce 12 years ago.

How was Adam Pearce destroying the scene 12 years ago? I've heard rumors but I never really paid too much attention but now I want to know.

SoCalAndy wrote:
Again, I believe the SoCal scene is better. This current crop of SoCal talent aren’t like Bino Gambino or Malachi Jackson.

Nooooo!!!!!! Don't dis Bino. Those are fighting words. :evil: just kidding. I did like Bino a lot though. He hurt himself before he could do anything and that sucked. I miss some of those old guys from back in the days.
shyboy13

Postby eastbay510 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:17 pm

These shows are so fucking stacked. Between ASW and BOLA I can't think of a 5 card span this stacked. Obviously I am most excited about Brooks debuting against Haskins. I am shocked he is being brought in, I thought he would be a BOLA 2018 debut. The other match I am dying to see is the Lucha 4 way, that is gonna be nuts. I'll bet that is the N1 main event.

Normally there is one match I am not super hot on, but with these every match is very good to amazing on paper.
eastbay510

Postby pwggrodd » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:42 pm

There's a clipped match on Youtube that's a four way between Guevara, Horus, Fenix, and Ultimo Ninja. Ninja was bigger and slower than those other three, and it was amazing even in clipped form. Now imagine slotting Flamita in his place after watching that. It's mind-blowing. Hope it gets about the same amount of time (15-16 minutes).
pwggrodd

Postby LBOinyamouf4sho » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:59 am

SoCalAndy wrote: Ryan Taylor is a tremendous talent who has gotten a lot better. Aside from needing more personality, he is as good as Zack Sabre, Jr.. and worlds better than Mark Haskins and Marty Scurll. I stopped watching wrestling when Famous B was in PWG, but he was young in his career when he was there. To judge him on that is unfair.

Again, I believe the SoCal scene is better. This current crop of SoCal talent aren’t like Bino Gambino or Malachi Jackson. Guys like Eli Everfly, Adrian Quest, Brody King, Jake Atlas, True Grit of Jesse James and Hoss Hogg, Ray Rosas, Tito Escondido, Andy Brown, Mike Camden, and Douglas James (who is under contract to PCW for a few months) are juts a few guys who would do well in PWG. In a year or two,Lucas Riley and Matt Vandergriff (who has had two matches so far) are showing tons of potential to be stars. So yeah, try not to judge the SoCal scene based on limited knowledge. There's great shit being built here. I implore everyone to seek out SoCal stuff.

Okay I'm done here now.

1st let me say i've always enjoyed ryan taylor, think he's underrated, and have seen some of his recent stuff. also i'm not much of a zack sabre jr fan. now with all that said even i have to say that's a stretch. i don't think he's as good as zack and definitely not worlds better than haskins or scurll.

i did get to see a lot of those other guys you mentioned when i had a highspots network subscription a couple of months ago and they either showed potential or were just impressive. i'm glad to see the socal scene on the up and up, PWG tickets are basically impossible for me to get so if other promotions can put out something worth making the drive for i'll be happy to see some live wrestling action once again.
LBOinyamouf4sho

Postby El Asian » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:49 pm

SoCalAndy wrote:You can like/hype whoever and whatever you want. That’s your shit, not mine. Fact is what you like isn’t as great as your think, but again you like what you like. Progress can draw huge crowds, but that me it doesn’t mean shit. The Big Bang Theory is a terrible show but gets more viewers than a great show like Rick and Morty, which gets way less viewers. In SoCal, PCW outdraws PWG but they’re not putting on better shows. As far as these guys you talk up working bigger names doesn’t mean much either. There are plenty of terrible workers in this world who work top talent because someone is willing to pay their booking fees. Having the best matches is a subjective thing, but the best PWG matches I’ve seen lately were by the Bucks, Cobb, Chuck Taylor, Lucha guys, and Ricochet. I really don’t care to go on about this debate about what you personally like. If you enjoy that shit, more power to you. I don’t buy into the hype everyone gives the European and Australian scene. Just don't be ignorant.

As far as SoCal, which is why I’m here, this area has its issues. From promoters not doing enough to get notoriety for their workers, shitty workers getting hyped up by their friends, entitled people in the business, and an anti-PWG sentiment that exists in the minds of a few in the scene. Right now SoCal is rebuilding itself after it was being destroyed by the NWA and Adam Pearce 12 years ago. I’ll be the first to say that this scene produced garbage after Rev Pro closed in 2004. There is no harsher critic of the SoCal scene than me, but now it is turning around and booming with so many prospects.

Andrew Yuma (who supposedly asked to stop being booked on PWG according to some people I’ve talked to) and Bob Winwood are bitter and whiny bitches. They always have been. They don’t represent the scene though. They don’t speak for the workers. They don’t speak for anyone but themselves and a few of their buddies. Also, Ryan Taylor is a tremendous talent who has gotten a lot better. Aside from needing more personality, he is as good as Zack Sabre, Jr.. and worlds better than Mark Haskins and Marty Scurll. I stopped watching wrestling when Famous B was in PWG, but he was young in his career when he was there. To judge him on that is unfair.

Okay I'm done here now.

You and I have talked prvately on the local scene but I'll bring it up here but my issue with the local scene is that none of them have really done a good job promoting themselves as well as PWG has to gain any attention and even then, a lot of the local feds seem too far from where I'm at that I feel its not worth the travel to get there despite being willing to travel to PWG in comparison. But also trying to find local feds near my area has become somehow impossible, like either I find a show happened way after I knew it happened or I try to find a card for the show yet the company never bothers posting their card or even any other info.

Anyways, I agree that I think the local guys you mentioned if Ryan Taylor has improved as you say, then he should get a 2nd chance, same with Famous B, who has definitely found something thanks to his role in Lucha Underground, while the rest of the locals, I feel they could definitely deserve a shot, I still feel they should bring in all those guys like Everfly, Brown, Quest, Atlas, True Grit, Camden, and Escondido in a random 8 man opening tag match to showcase for everyone and let them impress then ease into wrestling more noted guys like Sabre, Scurll, Riddle, Janela, Fenix, Cobb, Sydal, Lee, Elgin, and the usual PWG guys to show they can work with top talent to showcase and lead into more bookings outside of SoCal since with some exceptions, a lot of those local guys never get a chance to work different guys on the indie scene instead of facing usually the same guys in the local scene.

As for Adam Pearce, I have no clue what happend and Like shyboy, I'm curious myself though I'm guessing this had to do with him as PWG champ and booking guys like Babi Slymm in the main event scene during the early days of PWG. And I'm curious about Douglas James and why would anyone sign an exclusive contract for any indie company especially one that's not hugely major that seems would hold back a person from getting better and exploring more options with other companies.
El Asian

Postby El Asian » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:29 am

So unless this is an error going on, night 1 tickets are still available for GA and standing room instead of the usual selling out in 1 minute like any other show would. Personally, even though night 1 looks fine on paper and all but I feel it is the weakest of the 2 and the fact its not even selling out right now might be proof of that.

Personally, I think night 1 definitely needs to be rearranged or changed up a bit, like if Penta El 0M is available on October 20, I would definitely have the Lucha Brothers defend the tag titles against Chozen Bros as the headline match for night 1 especially night 1 needs a title defense on that card while Jonah Rock and Keith Lee would face off instead while I guess you can turn the 4 way match into a 3 way or replace Rey Fenix with either Eli Everfly, Laredo Kid, Mr. 450, Drastik Boy, Daga, Jack Evans, or Dezmond Xavier or maybe just book all of them with Guevara, Flamita, and Horus into a 10 man tag match after intermission
El Asian

Postby eastbay510 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:16 am

El Asian wrote:So unless this is an error going on, night 1 tickets are still available for GA and standing room instead of the usual selling out in 1 minute like any other show would. Personally, even though night 1 looks fine on paper and all but I feel it is the weakest of the 2 and the fact its not even selling out right now might be proof of that.

Personally, I think night 1 definitely needs to be rearranged or changed up a bit, like if Penta El 0M is available on October 20, I would definitely have the Lucha Brothers defend the tag titles against Chozen Bros as the headline match for night 1 especially night 1 needs a title defense on that card while Jonah Rock and Keith Lee would face off instead while I guess you can turn the 4 way match into a 3 way or replace Rey Fenix with either Eli Everfly, Laredo Kid, Mr. 450, Drastik Boy, Daga, Jack Evans, or Dezmond Xavier or maybe just book all of them with Guevara, Flamita, and Horus into a 10 man tag match after intermission

I completely disagree with this. I think N1 is way stronger than N2 on paper. I am super excited about Brooks debut vs Haskins and the 4 way Lucha match. I have seen way weaker shows sell out faster then this one. Has to be a glitch or something.
eastbay510

Postby pwggrodd » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:22 pm

I get the feeling there's going to be seating/ticket issues again.
pwggrodd

Postby eastbay510 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:56 am

I wonder if Justin will be at these shows after killing the Banks/Haskins match at BOLA and the botchfest during the triple threat at Pushing Foward Back.
eastbay510

Next

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum