A PWG Light-Heavyweight Division & Title Belt?

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Would you like to see PWG build a Light-Heavyweight division?

Yes, That sounds awesome
23%
No, but i respect your opinion
32%
Dude, your f*cking retarded.....
45%

Total votes : 31

A PWG Light-Heavyweight Division & Title Belt?

Postby Jake » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:53 pm

I think every wrestling fed that has a heavyweight championship should have a light-heavyweight or cruiserweight championship too. Should PWG have a Jr. Heavyweight championship? I can think of lots of wrestlers who could qualify, El Generico, B Boy, Human Tornado, Topgun Talwar, Hookbomberry, Quicksilver, PUMA etc. I also think it could add more to the shows.

What the hell do you think?
Jake

Postby Big Joe » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:07 pm

80% of the roster would qualify. No thanks.
Big Joe

Postby Jake » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:42 pm

Big Joe wrote:80% of the roster would qualify. No thanks.

Not really, for the heavyweight division they would still have super dragon, joey ryan, kevin steen, samoa joe, chris bosh, davey richards, aj styles, chris hero, bryan danielson, kazrian, petey williams, chris sabin, rocky romero, disco machine, excalibur etc.
Jake

Postby evilpaz » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:07 pm

heavyweight usually means that they're heavy...

I think you have to be at least 230 to be considered "heavy". Outside of Joe and Hero, the heaviest guy you mentioned was 215.
evilpaz

Postby SoCalAndy » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:05 am

Jake wrote:Not really, for the heavyweight division they would still have super dragon, joey ryan, kevin steen, samoa joe, chris bosh, davey richards, aj styles, chris hero, bryan danielson, kazrian, petey williams, chris sabin, rocky romero, disco machine, excalibur etc.

The guys in bold are nowhere near heavyweight status. And to even consider Excalibur a heavyweight is hilarious. And putting Petey Williams on the list is even more hilarious. This is a pretty dumb idea.
SoCalAndy

Postby astro_zombie » Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:12 am

bad idea
astro_zombie

Postby Peace » Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:41 am

Dude...you're a fucking moron.
Peace

Postby Jake » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:00 pm

evilpaz wrote:heavyweight usually means that they're heavy...

I think you have to be at least 230 to be considered "heavy". Outside of Joe and Hero, the heaviest guy you mentioned was 215.

Steen & Ronnin are over 215, but after looking at the roster page and all the weight numbers i realised this is a bad idea after all. I'm going to vote myself as fucking retarded :cry:
Jake

Postby onlxn » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:13 pm

It's really not a dumb idea. It's the exact right idea for the company.

Forget about people's actual size for a minute. PWG has a real problem with a million meaningless matches underneath the big ones. I mean, for example, what is T.J. Perkins' goal in PWG? In the last six months alone, he's tagged with Shelley, Sabin, Hook, Rocky, Frankie, Tornado, Topgun, Fergall Devitt and Bino Gambino. He's faced a couple of those guys, as well. He's just drifting aimlessly through the midcard, and if I'm a T.J. fan, that disappoints the hell outta me.

There's an obvious solution to the pointless, random nature of the midcard: give them something to fight for. You make a light heavyweight belt and suddenly you know what T.J. wants. You know what Koslov wants. You know what Topgun and Excalibur want, and what Generico and Quick and Scorp and Tornado and Scott want. Most of these guys will never be in the heavyweight title picture, so unless they're challenging for the tag belts or are in an ongoing feud, they have nothing to wrestle for. A light-heavyweight belt would solve that.

It wouldn't even have to be a huge, hyped, fly-in-heavy tournament like for the other titles or BOLA; an eight-man tourney on a show with two title matches and one other feature match would work just fine. Just off the top of my head:

Topgun vs. Generico
Quicksilver vs. Alex Koslov
Human Tornado vs. T.J. Perkins
Scorpio Sky vs. Excalibur

Semis of Generico/Quick and Scorpio/T.J., maybe leading to a Scorpio/Quick match. Scorp becomes the heel champ and defends against these guys, fly-ins like Evans and maybe Davey down the line. It makes for one more meaningful match per show and gives about a third of the roster a reason for existing. How the hell would this be a bad thing for PWG?
onlxn

Postby MrPWG » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:35 pm

onlxn wrote:It's really not a dumb idea. It's the exact right idea for the company.

Forget about people's actual size for a minute. PWG has a real problem with a million meaningless matches underneath the big ones. I mean, for example, what is T.J. Perkins' goal in PWG? In the last six months alone, he's tagged with Shelley, Sabin, Hook, Rocky, Frankie, Tornado, Topgun, Fergall Devitt and Bino Gambino. He's faced a couple of those guys, as well. He's just drifting aimlessly through the midcard, and if I'm a T.J. fan, that disappoints the hell outta me.

There's an obvious solution to the pointless, random nature of the midcard: give them something to fight for. You make a light heavyweight belt and suddenly you know what T.J. wants. You know what Koslov wants. You know what Topgun and Excalibur want, and what Generico and Quick and Scorp and Tornado and Scott want. Most of these guys will never be in the heavyweight title picture, so unless they're challenging for the tag belts or are in an ongoing feud, they have nothing to wrestle for. A light-heavyweight belt would solve that.

It wouldn't even have to be a huge, hyped, fly-in-heavy tournament like for the other titles or BOLA; an eight-man tourney on a show with two title matches and one other feature match would work just fine. Just off the top of my head:

Topgun vs. Generico

Semis of Generico/Quick and Scorpio/T.J., maybe leading to a Scorpio/Quick match. Scorp becomes the heel champ and defends against these guys, fly-ins like Evans and maybe Davey down the line. It makes for one more meaningful match per show and gives about a third of the roster a reason for existing. How the hell would this be a bad thing for PWG?

I never quite thought of it in that light...Excellent point my friend...
MrPWG

Postby bford24 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:38 pm

At first it sounded like a bad idea but after that long speech it isn't half bad. It would give some people things to do besides just wrestle for nothing.
bford24

Postby CheMateo » Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:40 pm

I think onlxn makes a good point. But I am still against the idea of another division. I don't like the idea of guys being stuck in certain weight classes and never really getting a chance to fight everybody. Without another division everybody can have a chance to be the best. Everybody can have a chance to be champion. Not be stuck in a certain class because of their weight or size.
CheMateo

Postby onlxn » Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:09 pm

CheMateo wrote:I don't like the idea of guys being stuck in certain weight classes and never really getting a chance to fight everybody.

I agree with this, but this doesn't have to be an issue if they don't want it to be. Most feds allow lighter guys to wrestle for heavyweight belts if they choose to -- the barrier only holds the other way. This wouldn't preclude Scorpio Sky from being heavyweight champ or anything.

The point isn't that they're light-heavyweights. The point is that a secondary belt would be a really helpful booking device for PWG. It gives lower-carders something to strive for, and it's a good stepping-stone for rising guys like Scorp or Davey to establish them as threats to the main title. I think "light heavyweight" is a good name for a secondary title, just because it's good to have a kayfabe reason why that champion is secondary, and also because PWG has a shitload of super-entertaining scrawny guys.

Honestly, the only reason not to establish a LHW belt is the expense of making the actual belt. Other than that, it's a real no-brainer.
onlxn

Postby Paul Burns » Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:32 pm

CheMateo wrote:I don't like the idea of guys being stuck in certain weight classes and never really getting a chance to fight everybody. Without another division everybody can have a chance to be the best. Everybody can have a chance to be champion. Not be stuck in a certain class because of their weight or size.

I think TNA must have thought of this when they made the X Division title.

I too was against this idea but that long speech DID make me realise, hey...he's gotta point. There ARE alot of pointless (while entertaining) matches that don't really do much or mean anything. A secondary title (With no restrictions that anybody can win) would be mighty fine, I'd be all for that personally.
Paul Burns

Postby Jake » Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:47 pm

A secondary title (With no restrictions that anybody can win) would be mighty fine, I'd be all for that personally.

But isn't that what the PWG championship is now? It doesn't seem to have any weight restrictions or anything like that.
Jake

Postby evilpaz » Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:53 pm

How about not labeling it "LHW" but something more along the lines of "Intercontinental"... but like "So Cal" or something...
evilpaz

Postby Paul Burns » Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:53 pm

Jake wrote:
A secondary title (With no restrictions that anybody can win) would be mighty fine, I'd be all for that personally.

But isn't that what the PWG championship is now? It doesn't seem to have any weight restrictions or anything like that.

Nah, I'd say the PWG is the MAIN title...not the secondary title :wink:
Paul Burns

Postby Jake » Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:54 pm

evilpaz wrote:How about not labeling it "LHW" but something more along the lines of "Intercontinental"... but like "So Cal" or something...

Agaibn, wouldn't that be like PWG's main championship? SInce it is a "So Cal" promotion.
Jake

Postby onlxn » Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:19 pm

I agree with Jake. I don't think the IC/US Title thing -- a secondary title with the exact same specifications -- makes sense on the indy scene. A huge, established company can do that, because they have enough big stars so that you understand on some level why a midcarder can only go for IC. A mid-sized indy like PWG needs to really make a point of putting over its heavyweight champ as the best of everybody, so I think the secondary belt needs to be restricted somewhat.

Besides, if you look at PWG regulars, the weight differences actually work out pretty perfectly. Here are the guys who are really presented as threats to the heavyweight title:

Joey Ryan, Kevin Steen, AJ Styles, Chris Daniels, Super Dragon, Frankie Kazarian, Chris Sabin, Chris Bosh, Samoa Joe

These are pretty big guys, as indy workers go. Bosh isn't that big, but there aren't any really scrawny workers in here.

Here are guys who *aren't* really presented as threats to the heavyweight title:

Scorpio Sky, Quicksilver, El Generico, Human Tornado, Phoenix Star, Zokre, Excalibur, Disco Machine, Topgun Talwar, Ronin, Nemesis, T.J. Perkins, Alex Koslov, Aaron Aguilera, B-Boy, Scott Lost, Davey Richards

You've got a big man in Aguilera, a pretty big guy in Ronin... Scott Lost is decent-sized. But really, this is a much smaller, scrawnier group.

That's the thing -- PWG is *already* set up in a way so that the lighter workers are underneath. So there's nothing wrong with establishing a belt that says that.
onlxn

Postby astro_zombie » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:35 am

onlxn wrote:It's really not a dumb idea. It's the exact right idea for the company.

Topgun vs. Generico

im still not convinced
astro_zombie

Next

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum